Wanted - 9-hole Clearview XL Windscreen

  • nick591@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      My '97 900 has what I think is a Sprint Manufacturing 'tall' aftermarket screen fitted. I know the PO had to replace the screen due to an accident. The screen is 26.5 inches on the centreline. I am 6ft 1in tall and the bike has a standard seat. When I sit on the bike the top of the screen is about level with the bottom of my visor and I still get a lot of wind noise and buffeting at 70 - 80mph. If I want to get out of the wind I have to crouch down in a way that is not comfortable for more than a few minutes.
      So I am trying to solve this problem and I notice that screens on many bikes (e.g. BMW GS, etc) are a lot more upright than the one on my bike.
      I have compared my screen with pictures of the Clearview XL which I know a lot of people have fitted. I think my screen slopes back more toward the rider than the Clearview and the latter is also 1 inch taller as well as having a more pronounced upward curve at the top of the screen.
      I am considering modifying my screen to be more upright but would like to try the Clearview XL if anyone has one they would like to part with?
      I am in the UK so anything Stateside is not likely to be practical from a shipping point of view.

      I'd welcome any thoughts and experience on this, particularly from those of you that are taller?

      Many Thanks,

      Nick
      South Bucks, UK
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2013
        Hi Nick, The 9 hole windscreen slopes back more than the 11 hole. You might consider adding a windshield spoiler on to your existing screen. I have a Clearview (medium) on my '96 900. Maybe someone that has an ex large Clearview in your area will allow you to ride their bike and you could try it out.
        Greg

        https://www.google.com/search?q=windshield+spoiler&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q-SPUfHKG8fT0gGGsIGwBw&ved=0CGQQsAQ&biw=1307&bih=564

        "nick591@... wrote:
        Hi everyone,
        My '97 900 has what I think is a Sprint Manufacturing 'tall' aftermarket screen fitted. I know the PO had to replace the screen due to an accident. The screen is 26.5 inches on the centreline. I am 6ft 1in tall and the bike has a standard seat. When I sit on the bike the top of the screen is about level with the bottom of my visor and I still get a lot of wind noise and buffeting at 70 - 80mph. If I want to get out of the wind I have to crouch down in a way that is not comfortable for more than a few minutes.
        > So I am trying to solve this problem and I notice that screens on many bikes (e.g. BMW GS, etc) are a lot more upright than the one on my bike.
        > I have compared my screen with pictures of the Clearview XL which I know a lot of people have fitted. I think my screen slopes back more toward the rider than the Clearview and the latter is also 1 inch taller as well as having a more pronounced upward curve at the top of the screen.
        > I am considering modifying my screen to be more upright but would like to try the Clearview XL if anyone has one they would like to part with?
        > I am in the UK so anything Stateside is not likely to be practical from a shipping point of view.
        >
        > I'd welcome any thoughts and experience on this, particularly from those of you that are taller?
        >
        > Many Thanks,
        >
        > Nick
        > South Bucks, UK

      • rick
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2013
          Nick,

          Save your money on replacement screens, as none of them will solve the noise/buffeting problem. I have a boxfull of pretty much every screen ever made for the Trophy.

          The only way to really solve the problem is to mount a small second screen spaced about an inch or so away near the top of the base screen. This is like the "Laminar Lip" idea. If you look through the photos and archives on this site, you will see some examples other list members have made. The principle is to create a laminar flow over the top of the screen - much like every new bike does by having a hole at the base of the screen, so air can flow up the bottom side of the screen and re-unite with the air coming up from the front - thus eliminating the breaking turbulence (also called a Karmen Street).

          Try it. It is a cheap and effective solution to the screen problem on the Trophy, which is probably its only real design flaw.

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "nick591@..." <nick591@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > My '97 900 has what I think is a Sprint Manufacturing 'tall' aftermarket screen fitted. I know the PO had to replace the screen due to an accident. The screen is 26.5 inches on the centreline. I am 6ft 1in tall and the bike has a standard seat. When I sit on the bike the top of the screen is about level with the bottom of my visor and I still get a lot of wind noise and buffeting at 70 - 80mph. If I want to get out of the wind I have to crouch down in a way that is not comfortable for more than a few minutes.
          > So I am trying to solve this problem and I notice that screens on many bikes (e.g. BMW GS, etc) are a lot more upright than the one on my bike.
          > I have compared my screen with pictures of the Clearview XL which I know a lot of people have fitted. I think my screen slopes back more toward the rider than the Clearview and the latter is also 1 inch taller as well as having a more pronounced upward curve at the top of the screen.
          > I am considering modifying my screen to be more upright but would like to try the Clearview XL if anyone has one they would like to part with?
          > I am in the UK so anything Stateside is not likely to be practical from a shipping point of view.
          >
          > I'd welcome any thoughts and experience on this, particularly from those of you that are taller?
          >
          > Many Thanks,
          >
          > Nick
          > South Bucks, UK

        • Ken Hastie
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2013

            I disagree.

            Ken Hastie
            Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
            and D14 Bantams

            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2013
              Try this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281098797892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 It looks like it may solve the problem at a reasonable cost. I've not tried it yet but would sure like to hear from someone who has.
              Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
              On 5/13/2013 1:25 PM, Ken Hastie wrote:

              Save your money on replacement screens, as none of them will solve the
              noise/buffeting problem.

              I disagree.

              Ken Hastie
              Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
              and D14 Bantams

              ------------------------------------

              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

              Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 7 , May 14, 2013
                  I have used a Laminar lip for two years now and I can confirm it works pretty well. I use it with an 11 hole Triumph screen (not sure if its standard height or not) but at 5'8" I can see over the top and turbulence and noise is massively reduced. My only grouse is that my screen is tinted light grey, while the Laminar is clear and this gives rise to a real strain looking through two layers of plastic, especially at night. The fact that the Laminar is curved in the opposite way to the main screen gives rise to an unpleasant optical effect. I have been thinking of raising the bars by 1" to put less strain on my wrists and back and will probably then resort to a Clearview. I emailed them re delivery last year and they said no problem sending to the UK>