Cracked carb top and difformed diaphragms

  • clepeterd
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2013
      Upon dissasembly and cleaning of my carbs, I noticed that one of my carb top has a small crack in it (See pic: https://plus.google.com/photos/103013558901219289619/albums/5874494030713603537?authkey=CLCqxqaP4IGyjAE )

      The carb top seems top be made of plastic. It's still very solid and I'm wondering if I can seal with with ABS glue ? Or some sort of sealant instead of buying a new one and wait for 3 weeks

      Also, I noticed that my diaphragms are a bit out of shape / a bit difformed. Sorry I dont have pictures. They do now seem to be cracked and are still very flexible. Should I replace them as well ?

      I'm wondering if I may be the culprit as I have turned the carbs upside down and for some reason, there seeemed to be some fuel left in the carbs (I emptied the float bowls before, though) and meybe sme gas made it to the diaphragms ?

      Thanks again for your help. I never tought I would dar to remove the carbs from my machine.

      Strangely, they were not that dirty, I wonder where that fueling problem is coming from.

      I have a crack on a vaccum nipple. I will order another, but was wondering if I could not simpley seal it with sillicone ? It's still flexible.

      Thanks !
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2013
            I've seen RTV used for a lot of things. I'm not sure if you have a typo regarding your diaphragms. Did you mean to say "they are NOW cracked" or "they are NOT cracked"? Gasoline should not have hurt them. CARB Cleaner might!
            The test for all of your questions is the slides. If they return slowly when pushed up then your vacuum and diaphragms are OK. If one falls more rapidly than another then you have a problem.
        I would try repairing the both with RTV and then do the above test after the carbs are re-assembled. The diaphragms are pretty critical. The vacuum nipples are not rocket science. When I first got my bike whoever worked on the carbs used a short piece of vacuum hose with a sheet metal screw plugging one end. I don't know if any RTV or similar was used but the bike ran fine initially. It wasn't until I turned the fuel tap to RES and sucked all the rust, water, and other crap into the engine that my problems started. I'd try the above first and then spend money second unless you happen to have a lot of it! :-P
        HTH.
        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2013
          Thanks Ed.

          Yes, there was indeed a typo. I'm having a hard time typing in english cause I'm french speaking here in Quebec.

          The Diaphragms are NOT cracked. But they do exhibit some difformation. Being so soft, I dont think they can exert much force by themselves ?

          For the drop test, I am wondering how much "up" do the sliders go under normal operation of the bike ? I tried pushing them up, and they were getting down slowly, except that in mid course, one of them suddenly dropped fast for 1/4 inch and then continued slowly. I think I may have pushed it too far up ?

          Just for my understanding, what makes the sliders go up when the bike is running ? Throttle ? Engine RPM increasing vacuum ?

          As for the RTV, I don't know where I can find it in Canada. Do you have a particular company name in mind ? Is it some sort of epoxy ?

          Thanks again !
        • slovcan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2013
            RTV is simply silicone sealant. You can get it at auto parts stores like Napa, Acklands-Grainger, Lordco, Canadian Tire, etc. There are different varities. Get the one that is meant to use with fuel - I think it is the black colour one, just ask the parts guy. Smear a bit on the crack on the cover and let it cure overnight (clean the cover first). I'd say everybody's diaphragms are deformed. As long as they are not torn, they are fine. Make sure they are properly seated when re-installing.

            Your English is better than my French. ;-)

            Cheers,
            Glenn

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "clepeterd" <clepeterd@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Ed.
            >
            > Yes, there was indeed a typo. I'm having a hard time typing in english cause I'm french speaking here in Quebec.
            >
            > The Diaphragms are NOT cracked. But they do exhibit some difformation. Being so soft, I dont think they can exert much force by themselves ?
            >
            > For the drop test, I am wondering how much "up" do the sliders go under normal operation of the bike ? I tried pushing them up, and they were getting down slowly, except that in mid course, one of them suddenly dropped fast for 1/4 inch and then continued slowly. I think I may have pushed it too far up ?
            >
            > Just for my understanding, what makes the sliders go up when the bike is running ? Throttle ? Engine RPM increasing vacuum ?
            >
            > As for the RTV, I don't know where I can find it in Canada. Do you have a particular company name in mind ? Is it some sort of epoxy ?
            >
            > Thanks again !

          • gluman3
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2013
              As far as the cracked cap is concerned, I recommend a product available in the US and maybe other countries called Amazing Goop. It is a flexible adhesive / sealant and clear in color. It will adhere better than silicone. It is also self leveling so the repair will look very professional. Let it cure overnight. As far as the diaphragms are concerned, just check for any cracks or breaks. Wrinkles are fine.

              You said the carbs appear clean, however you need to pay special attention to the low speed jets. Just a little varnish on the ID of the jets will cause your bike to run too lean.

              Cheers, Steve
            • clepeterd
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2013
                Thanks Steeve,

                Amazing goop automotive is available in canada but can only withstand 66 degrees celsius... it's pretty hot near the engine.