Re: [TriumphTrophy] sidestand switch ? Clutch switch ? Neutral Switch ? TWO problems

    Message 1 of 10 , May 2 2:11 AM
          I can only tell you my experience: Mine did the same thing and I also had a slight voltage drop that made my bike difficult to start. I fought it for several years before I discovered a short in the starter relay. Not bad enough to not work with the clutch pulled in but bad enough to not work when the neutral light resistance was added. It finally quit altogether and I replaced it. Along with it when all the other problems I've been searching for for several years. Who'da Thunk it? I looked everywhere but there for the voltage loss.
      Good Luck!
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 5/1/2013 8:40 PM, clepeterd wrote:
      1)

      8 out of 10 times, when I try to start my bike, I press the start button, and nothing happens (the lights in the panel dim a bit, but nothing happens with the starter)

      I then have to depress the clutch and it starts, as if the bike was not in neutral, even though IT IS and the neutral light is ON.

      I tried cleaning the clutch lever switch several times but it always reappears. It's no big deal, but annoying. I also find the bike is harder to start with the clutch depressed, God knows why...

      2) For some reason, the sidestand light on the instrument panel never light ups. I thinks there sould be an exclamation mark signal when the ignition is ON and the sidestand is deployed ?

      THANKS

      ------------------------------------

      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • joan tabberer
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2 1:17 PM
        You said...

        2) For some reason, the sidestand light on the instrument panel never light ups. I thinks there sould be an exclamation mark signal when the ignition is ON and the sidestand is deployed ?

        Have you checked the bulb is still good?

        Joan
        .
      • clepeterd
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4 3:00 PM
          I'll check it. I will also check the idiot light bulb (Overtemp) as it does not seem to work either...

          Do you know of a place where I can buy brighter turn indicators ? I can barely see them !

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, joan tabberer <rebullet@...> wrote:

          > You said...
          >
          > 2) For some reason, the sidestand light on the instrument panel never light ups. I thinks there sould be an exclamation mark signal when the ignition is ON and the sidestand is deployed ?
          >
          > Have you checked the bulb is still good?
          >
          > Joan
          >
          > .

        • slovcan
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5 9:37 PM
            For the Sidestand switch and Temp light - do the TSB/mod for the temp light ground wire relocation.

            Remove the Sidestand switch and clean the contact on it and the contact plate inside the gearbox with a bit of emery cloth secured to the blade of a common screwdriver. Make sure to use a long enough piece of emery cloth that it comes far enough up the screwdriver shaft so it can't accidentally fall of INSIDE the gearbox.

            Clean the clutch switch with a bit of said emery cloth (one screw takes it off). Pry it apart with a tiny screwdiver under the plastic tabs that hold the housing together.

            Clean the kill switch by taking apart the right side switch pod and spraying contact cleaner. Put it back together and work the s=kill switch on/off a dozen or so times.

            Take the big spade terminals off the starter solenoid and clean the spades. Also try to tighten up the female part of the connectors by compressing them with a common screwdriver or small needlenose piers.

            Take out the alternator bolt that has the ground cable fitted to it and claen the contact surfaces and washer.

            Finally (maybe) install an additional ground cable from the battery to the ground point under the seat. Clean this point when doing this.

            That should solve ALL your problems. It is what I did. She cranks over faster on the starter than ever before and starts super easily. I still may do the relay for voltage to the coils, though (Katana mod or Johnson Jolt talked about here recently).

            Cheers,
            Glenn

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "clepeterd" <clepeterd@...> wrote:

            > I'll check it. I will also check the idiot light bulb (Overtemp) as it does not seem to work either...
            >
            > Do you know of a place where I can buy brighter turn indicators ? I can barely see them !
            >
            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, joan tabberer <rebullet@> wrote:
            > >
            > > You said...
            > >
            > > 2) For some reason, the sidestand light on the instrument panel never light ups. I thinks there sould be an exclamation mark signal when the ignition is ON and the sidestand is deployed ?
            > >
            > > Have you checked the bulb is still good?
            > >
            > > Joan
            > >
            > > .

          • gordon2xbbb
            Message 5 of 10 , May 6 4:24 AM
              Just hang on a minute....are you sure it is wise to introduce something very abrasive to the insides of a gearbox ???

              That's why I would recommend just using the TIP of a long thin screwdriver blade to GENTLY ABRADE the selector drum neutral segment. That will remove the surface patina and not leave anything in there that can do untold damage to seals and bearings...once it's in the oil you never know where it will get to before it gets trapped in the filter...

              Emery paper or cloth is coated with Carborundum paste - same sort of stuff you use to lapp in valves....you leave any of that stuff in your engine at your peril.
              Would you add a pinch of sand perhaps for good luck ?
              No, I don't think so..

              If you think I'm talking tosh then PLEASE exercise extreme caution and don't cock it up..

              Cheers
              Gordon
              2xBBB
              Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

              and the contact plate inside the gearbox with a bit of emery cloth secured to the blade of a common screwdriver. Make sure to use a long enough piece of emery cloth that it comes far enough up the screwdriver shaft so it can't accidentally fall of INSIDE the gearbox.
            • Don Varnau
              Message 6 of 10 , May 6 7:44 AM
                Agreed. The Coolant Temp Warning Light fix (in the Files section) fixed
                intermittent neutral switch and sidestand switch problems I was having.

                Don
                '97 900

                Message 7 of 10 , May 6 12:34 PM
                  Valid point, Gordon. I did this 8-10000 kms ago. So far no issues and everything works as it should. Mind you, I made 3-4 swipes with the emery cloth and changed the oil twice since then. So, for caution, just a couple of swipes, run the engine to check results and change the oil. Or, heed Gordon's good advice and just use the tip of the screwdriver.

                  Cheers,
                  Glenn

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

                  > Just hang on a minute....are you sure it is wise to introduce something very abrasive to the insides of a gearbox ???
                  >
                  > That's why I would recommend just using the TIP of a long thin screwdriver blade to GENTLY ABRADE the selector drum neutral segment. That will remove the surface patina and not leave anything in there that can do untold damage to seals and bearings...once it's in the oil you never know where it will get to before it gets trapped in the filter...
                  >
                  > Emery paper or cloth is coated with Carborundum paste - same sort of stuff you use to lapp in valves....you leave any of that stuff in your engine at your peril.
                  > Would you add a pinch of sand perhaps for good luck ?
                  > No, I don't think so..
                  >
                  > If you think I'm talking tosh then PLEASE exercise extreme caution and don't cock it up..
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Gordon
                  > 2xBBB
                  > Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
                  >
                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
                  >

                  > and the contact plate inside the gearbox with a bit of emery cloth secured to the blade of a common screwdriver. Make sure to use a long enough piece of emery cloth that it comes far enough up the screwdriver shaft so it can't accidentally fall of INSIDE the gearbox.

                • Greg

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 7 12:22 AM
                      Yes, Greg. That might have worked, too. I forgot what may have been the key thing that I did. I thinned the aluminum sealing washer a good bit to try to give the switch that much better contact with the tab.

                      Cheers,
                      Glenn