Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Petcock cleaning without a rebuild kit ?

  • apsllp@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
      The local.dealer gets them for me inside of 3 days tom in the USA warehouse.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2013
        On aircraft it is a common inspection item to dissasemble clean andube the fuel valve (petcock) annually.

        The on in John Denver's plane when he died was said to have had a pair of Vice Grips on it.  Some devices are not designed for such tourque.   It's too easy to clean and lube the assembly properly to risk damage.

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        Jacksonville FL

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2013
          No comment on Mr John Denvers' scenario....

          I am currently 'repairing' a very second-hand Fuel Tap/Petcock that I obtained in part-exchange from a member of the Facebook Trophy Group who needed a working Tap urgently and I sold him my 'spare' spare....The item I received was chock full of Limescsale....(??) Water in the Fuel Problem ? Apparently NOT, just the knob wouldn't turn then got broken - in the usual way.

          I'm removing the Limescale using a domestic limescale remover (descaler) that we use in our bathroom/shower and on other 'sanitary' fittings...I'm being ultra careful, just a little spray then go to work using cotton ear-buds and a glass-fibre abrading pen to carefully remove the limescale from the surfaces of the diaphragm and piston. Regular flushing with a degreaser is keeping things clean and moving so I may be able to 'recover' the Fuel Tap and put it back in my 'stock'.

          I have a few broken knobs which I have repaired and I am also the proud owner of a pair of those superb aluminium items available from Sprint Manufacturing. I'm aware of the extra torque I can now apply...

          I can concur that regular maintenance of Fuel Taps/Petcocks is a very good idea indeed !

          I've never had one 'stick or seize' on me and I've never had to resort to ANY form of lubrication, either during assembly or use.
          As long as they turn to all three positions smoothly, operate correctly and don't leak then I'll use them on my bikes...

          Cheers
          Gordon
          2xBBB
          Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK