Re: [TriumphTrophy] Petcock cleaning without a rebuild kit ?

  • John
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
      Any chance you have a picture of the finished product Joan?

      joan tabberer <rebullet@...> wrote:

      I suppose it depends upon what is wrong wit it! Mine was so stiff it btoke the pkastic knob, I took mine to pieces, cleaned and lubed it and put it back together and it now rotates with the repaired knob, and works fine...

      Joan

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

        Hey,

        Chances are good that you can fix it. Same story here had to epoxy up the backside of the knob. Cleaned a lot of fine rust buildup out. Polished the bore and shaft. Reassembled with a light coat of hilomar on the sealing surfaces. And she's good to go. Might wanna test the vacuum line with a little mouth suction before you finalize the job. A light suction should open the flow. And once removed it should completely shut off.

        Give it a shot before ordering a new one. You just might be spending that bread elsewhere.

        Best of luck,
        Samuel

      • triumphtrophy12
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
          By all means clean the petcock and lubricate it with Dow Corning DC-4 on
          re-assembly. Be VERY careful that you don't lose springs or tear the
          diaphragm. EASY job once you have the tank off and empty.

          Parts are about $35.00US from Triumph should you tear the diaphragm or
          lose something when it flies out.

          Bob Clark
          01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
          Jacksonville, FL
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
            Hi Clepeterd, I've ordered kits from them and it only took 5 days from the UK to Kansas City.
            Greg

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "clepeterd" <clepeterd@...> wrote:

            > My petcock seems to be problematic. I could order a rebuild kit from sprint manufacturing but it would take AGES to travel to canada.
            >
            > Other than that, I could but a 117$ petcock :-(
            >
            > IS there any chance a dissasembly and cleaning of the petcock might actually fix some things or am I wasting my time on this ?
            >
            > Thanks !

          • clepeterd
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
              Really ? 5 days ? Did you specify expedited shipping or straight shipping ?
            • gordon2xbbb
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2013
                For Your Information....Sprint manufacturing are away on holiday until "Star Wars Day"....May the Fourth be with you.

                Gordon
                2xBBB
                Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, John <lmindlists@...> wrote:

                > Any chance you have a picture of the finished product Joan?
                >
                > joan tabberer <rebullet@...> wrote:
                >
                > >I suppose it depends upon what is wrong wit it! Mine was so stiff it
                > >btoke the pkastic knob, I took mine to pieces, cleaned and lubed it and
                > >put it back together and it now rotates with the repaired knob, and
                > >works fine...
                > >

                > >Joan

              • Greg
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2013
                  Hi Clepeterd, Straight shipping. I have no idea about their holidays.

                  For those that have the beautiful aluminum knob, or those that have filled the backside of the knob with epoxy and word of warning. You now have the ability to put some torque on that knob if it gets stuck. Don't force it. There is a tapered aluminum barrel inside with two little tabs on the end of the barrel. Those tabs turn a plastic valve. Twist too hard and the little taps get twisted off. Sprint Manufacturing does not have that aluminum barrel in the kit. I have not found a source for a replacement barrel.
                  Greg

                  "clepeterd" wrote:
                  Really ? 5 days ? Did you specify expedited shipping or straight shipping ?
                • joan tabberer