It's like a new bike!!!

  • Scotty
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013
      I'm so happy!
      I bought my '97 Trophy about 10 days ago. It had fat jets and the D&D pipes that I complained about in a previous thread. Since purchasing, I've pulled the carbs, installed leaner jets in the Dynojet emulsion tubes, re-installed the missing air box pieces and bolted on a set of used stock pipes. It went from an obnoxious mistake to a sweet sounding joy. I need to give it a serious bath but there's nothing to keep me from riding it anywhere right now.
      Buyers remorse was kicking in pretty hard but it's gone now, completely gone!
    • Steve Kreckman
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013

        Fantastic! Glad that returning the bike to stock tune cured its ills. The stock tune on the bike is pretty good to begin with the only notable issue being that if you live in colder climates the lean mixture can make starts on a cold day kinda difficult. Running just a tad rich cures that though.

        A couple other mods to consider that will vastly improve the ride involve suspension which was none too great as it came straight from the factory. After putting 25K miles on the clock of my ’98 Trophy 900 I just wasn’t happy with the handling, it was less than confidence-inspiring and felt sloppy, enough so that I thought it was the bike and was considering trading it in. My wallet said otherwise though and after reading about others’ experiences I opted to put an Ohlins on the back and Racetech cartridge emulators on the front. The difference was night and day. The suspension was much more compliant yet solid, it was like better than new. Fell in love with the bike all over again. Since then I’ve had the Ohlins rebuilt once in another 25K and all is still happy. It was the best money I’ve ever spent on the bike. One word of advice though, the Racetech install is rather tricky so go to shop that is familiar with them if you decide to go that route.

        Cheers,

        Steve

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013
            Samuel..........you can change you rear shock ,,,,,,,,,,and I'm going to tell your wife !! :>))

            ,,,Tim

            In a message dated 4/23/2013 3:43:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time, dieseldude1@... writes:

            I finally got off my arse and rebuilt my forks. Left the stock springs and used a slightly heavier oil. It really is like having a totally new bike. She's now 50% better in high winds. And now correctly tracks in corners. Still a tad soft but a really cush ride. If only it were this easy to get a total makeover on the wife....

            Samuel

            On Apr 23, 2013 2:04 PM, "Mike Stephenson" <ktm.mike.585@...> wrote:

            Nope they are not fork springs.  It is basically a valve body in fork tube that modifies how the hydraulic action of the forks behave.  That impacts the compression and rebound dampening of the forks, improving performance.

            On Apr 23, 2013 12:54 PM, "apsllp@..." <apsllp@...> wrote:

            Front Fork springs

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013
              One thing I have done on other bikes is to run a greater volume of a lighter weight oil.  Result is still responsive to the little stuff, but better absorbs the bigger hits.  Depending on the bike, and rider(s) a greater volume of same weight or heavier might be needed to.  go to heavy and the action can get harsh though.

              In my opinion most/many bikes that are short of being a hard core sport bike are spring to lightly anyhow - seems they spring them for a nice cushy feel sitting on the show room floor, then they over dampen them to compensate.    On 2 or 3 of my prior bikes, I ended up running heavier fork springs (try progressive brand, maybe race tech), lighter oil at a higher volume and absolutely loved the results.
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013
                Hey Friends,
                  I've got "Progressive Suspension's" spring sets, and now I have had my '95 BBBB "RaceTech(ed)" for the past several years, and I must say I like the Gold Valve kit with the single rate 1.0 kg springs the best. I just dropped off my bike, and on one of the rarest occasions in my life, I didn't do the work myself. I actually had them do the full monty right there in their actual Corona, Ca. shop. The results were nothing short of phenomenal. I've lost over a hundred pounds over the last few years, and that weight loss hasn't made the ride harsh at all. I think in this case, the whole set-up took a break-in time to get the smooth ride I have now.  On my ride home from the RaceTech shop, I was feeling every tiny bump in the road, and for a bit worried that I'd messed up big time. Then after a few rides I could feel the ride get really nice. I don't get a bunch of road vibes, or front end dive at all now. I highly recommend RaceTech, and their products.
                On Apr 23, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Mike Stephenson wrote:

                One thing I have done on other bikes is to run a greater volume of a lighter weight oil.  Result is still responsive to the little stuff, but better absorbs the bigger hits.  Depending on the bike, and rider(s) a greater volume of same weight or heavier might be needed to.  go to heavy and the action can get harsh though.

                In my opinion most/many bikes that are short of being a hard core sport bike are spring to lightly anyhow - seems they spring them for a nice cushy feel sitting on the show room floor, then they over dampen them to compensate.    On 2 or 3 of my prior bikes, I ended up running heavier fork springs (try progressive brand, maybe race tech), lighter oil at a higher volume and absolutely loved the results.

              • Samuel Crider

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013

                    I concur with Poppa Jack about the whole front end setup. I forgot to mention replacing the front springs as well. There is a lot of good info on the Race Tech site regarding component recommendations, spring rates, etc. http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Triumph/Trophy%203/1995-98

                    These guys really know what they’re doing and it is probably the best money you can spend on a Trophy.

                    Steve

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013

                        It can certainly be improved by the Clearview XL over the standard screen.

                        Far less susceptible to sidewinds, despite being physically larger.

                        Ken Hastie
                        Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10 and D14 Bantams

                            Are you guys telling me that the "blowing all over the road" feeling on the freeway can be improved by modification of the front forks and tire pressure?

                      • a2
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 27, 2013
                          I have put a 99 with external controls on to a 95 Bike
                          A2