Re: [TriumphTrophy] puzzled

  • nigel_keating
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2013
      Hi thre is a little switch held on to the clutch lever with a cross head screw. Just undo that and pull the switch down. Lever it gently apart and clean the contacts with some fine wet or dry and then reassemble with dialectric grease if you have some. if that doesn't sort it let us know.

      Cheers nigel
      99 BBBB nwuk
      Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

      From: "jameslloydmzist" <jameslloydmzist@...>
      Sender: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:16:01 -0000
      To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TriumphTrophy] puzzled

      Hi, I tried to start up my 98 Sprint today after its winter lay up, the engine turned over on the button quickly and healthily enough but only when the clutch was pulled in! It started and ran well. So the battery and starter motor spin the engine well enough, but only when the clutch is pulled in! What is the the likely fault here in your opinion? Any help at all would be much appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Jim

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
        Hi Jim,

        Just to chip in with my twopenneth worth - Starting the bike with the Clutch Lever pulled in IS A GOOD THING. First - The Clutch Switch prevents you from starting the bike with a gear engaged so to remove that condition the Clutch has to be disengaged, Second - Pulling the Clutch Lever in disengages the gearbox and therefore reduces the Engine Start Mechanical Loading - giving the Starter Sprag Clutch and Starter Motor an easier time of it.

        An Old or Weak battery is probably the Achilles Heel of these bikes so keeping an eye on Battery Condition and Electrolyte Level is a good idea. Distilled Water only please, unless you live next to the waterfall in the Garden of Eden. Trickle Charging is fine for overnight but no good for long term storage - causes the plates to sulphate. Much better to use a Battery Conditioner or Smart Charger and only then once a month or so. Batteries don't like the cold so give it a charge before you use it to be on the safe side, if the Air Temp is within 5 degrees centigrade of Zero..

        All those other little Members of the Safety Cut-Out circuit can give you a problem from time to time - regular use and contact cleaner will help in some instances - but the Daddy of them all is THE KILL SWITCH.

        Ignore this one at your peril. It is supposed to be used for Emergencies Only and therefore doesn't get used much by the majority of us. Consequently, as time passes, the contacts in there get a little dirty or oxidised. Just needs a squirt of Contact Cleaner (not WD40) and a bit of exercise once in a while (just flick the kill switch on and off - Ignition OFF) a few times before every start should do it.

        Happy Riding

        Cheers
        Gordon
        2xBBB
        Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nigelpk@... wrote:

        > Hi thre is a little switch held on to the clutch lever with a cross head screw. Just undo that and pull the switch down. Lever it gently apart and clean the contacts with some fine wet or dry and then reassemble with dialectric grease if you have some. if that doesn't sort it let us know.
        >
        > Cheers nigel
        > 99 BBBB nwuk
        > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

      • jameslloydmzist
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
          Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and help me. Success, it turned out to be the switch beneath the clutch lever that had caused the problem, a ten minute job! Anyway, I'm well pleased. Thank you for all your help. Jim

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > Just to chip in with my twopenneth worth - Starting the bike with the Clutch Lever pulled in IS A GOOD THING. First - The Clutch Switch prevents you from starting the bike with a gear engaged so to remove that condition the Clutch has to be disengaged, Second - Pulling the Clutch Lever in disengages the gearbox and therefore reduces the Engine Start Mechanical Loading - giving the Starter Sprag Clutch and Starter Motor an easier time of it.
          >
          > An Old or Weak battery is probably the Achilles Heel of these bikes so keeping an eye on Battery Condition and Electrolyte Level is a good idea. Distilled Water only please, unless you live next to the waterfall in the Garden of Eden. Trickle Charging is fine for overnight but no good for long term storage - causes the plates to sulphate. Much better to use a Battery Conditioner or Smart Charger and only then once a month or so. Batteries don't like the cold so give it a charge before you use it to be on the safe side, if the Air Temp is within 5 degrees centigrade of Zero..
          >
          > All those other little Members of the Safety Cut-Out circuit can give you a problem from time to time - regular use and contact cleaner will help in some instances - but the Daddy of them all is THE KILL SWITCH.
          >
          > Ignore this one at your peril. It is supposed to be used for Emergencies Only and therefore doesn't get used much by the majority of us. Consequently, as time passes, the contacts in there get a little dirty or oxidised. Just needs a squirt of Contact Cleaner (not WD40) and a bit of exercise once in a while (just flick the kill switch on and off - Ignition OFF) a few times before every start should do it.
          >
          > Happy Riding
          >
          > Cheers
          > Gordon
          > 2xBBB
          > Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
          >
          > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nigelpk@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi thre is a little switch held on to the clutch lever with a cross head screw. Just undo that and pull the switch down. Lever it gently apart and clean the contacts with some fine wet or dry and then reassemble with dialectric grease if you have some. if that doesn't sort it let us know.
          > >
          > > Cheers nigel
          > > 99 BBBB nwuk
          > > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        • gluman3
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
            Jim,

            Most likely, the contacts in the clutch switch need cleaning. If you stand on your head, you will see a small Philips head screw holding the switch in position. There are two spade connectors going to the switch. Once removed, you can take the switch apart by releasing the tangs that hold the two half's together. Do it on a towel so you don't loose the little spring and brass contact inside. Use contact cleaner and a knife to clean the contacts and put back together. Of course, be sure the side stand switch is working properly and the neutral light is on. Otherwise,you will have to hold the clutch lever in for it to start.

            Steve