Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Katana Mod or Johnson Jolt

  • Samuel Crider
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 18, 2013

      Fwiw, keep in mind that a backfire will now provide even higher destructive forces. Directly upon the dreaded sprag. Which seems is this designs overall weakest link. Personally, I'll stick with the voltage drop at cranking. Once the alternator kicks in the secondary voltage then safely rises to its peak. Sounds like smart engineering to me. But of course I currently have no issues with starting. If I did I'd likely be singing a different tune.

      Samuel

      On Apr 16, 2013 4:33 PM, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

      I have also fitted the Johnson Jolt and it works. My bike started in the colder weather and starts immediately in the milder weather we have now with no special preparation or care.

      Including the ignitor is commendable - I did try a different arrangement that did this but mixing this with the JJ risks two relays setting each other off so isolating the ignitor from the remaining circuits would have to be first move.  Also the ignition becomes reliant on more relays....at a risk.

      > Hi Ed

      > There can be a benefit of including the Igniter in the relayed 12V feed in that you are ensuring it is getting the full battery voltage but the coils are the most important for starting and running.

      ------------------------------------

      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 26, 2013
        Hi Greg

        I have fitted mini LED (Projector) Daylight Running Lights to the Vent Holes in the fairing on my Mk II (Sharon) which leaves plenty of room for 'ventilation' to still take place.
        Also mounted some larger (4)LED Cree Daylight Running Lights under the Mirror mounting on each side.
        They are all wired into the Position/Park/Sidelight and I have the option to switch them all off should I decide to - UK Bike..
        The primary purpose was to improve the daytime visibility of my bike towards other vehicles, without having to waste precious Alternator output and burning up expensive headlamp bulbs in the process.
        It seems to work as I can now ride quite confident that only the registered blind would not be able to notice the 'different' light-point pattern as I approach them.
        I've taken the trouble to have them correctly aligned so they don't dazzle oncoming traffic at night because when used at night they provide a very helpful 'in-fill' to complement the normal twin headlight beam pattern.
        We're not talking Paris/Dakar light levels capable of drying wet sand in front of the bike but there is a notable improvement and not at TT Race Pace either but sufficient to maintain all legal speeds in normal weather conditions - I've not tried them in the rain at night as yet...I may be stupid, but not that stupid...
        There are a few pictures of the lamps in 'our' album "Sharon & Tracey" and I have some more somewhere should you need them

        Cheers
        Gordon
        2xBBB 1xTiger 800
        Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK