11 Years, 34K miles, first carb cleaning

  • Buddy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2013
      Well, the last long trip I took, the bike developed a slight stutter between around 3K to 4K rpm. I'm the second owner of this bike, although it was sold to me with only 84 miles on it, so for all intents and purposes, I feel like the original owner in terms of maintenance. I've done everything myself on this bike, with the exception of the very first 600 mile service.

      So, I've owned the bike since September of 2001 and in all that time, although I have balanced the carbs many times and had removed them a couple of times to change the choke and throttle cables (for bars with more rise and pullback, I've never had the carbs apart.

      With exceedingly rare exceptions, the only gas the bike uses is Techron (Chevron or Standard)Plus. When the bike was new, I started using Technon Supreme but began to experiment using the middle grade. Since neither the gas mileage nor the performance varied, I've stuck with using middle grade (Plus) ever since.

      I live in Oregon, so ethanol additives are just part of the deal.

      So, with the stutter, I figured it was time for the carbs to come apart. I really was expecting crud, sludge, gummy stuff in the float bowls, etc.

      Imagine my surprise when I opened up the floats and found three carbs that looked essentially brand new! There was no crud whatsoever, let alone anything worse. I also took off the caps, and the diaphragms were in likewise new condition. I was simply amazed.

      I was glad that I pulled the carbs off the bike though. One of the four screws that hold the float bowl to the carb was missing on one of the carbs, so I replaced it, and used loctite on all the screws, but that was the extent of the required maintenance.

      I can think of no other reason than the fact I have stuck with Chevron gas with its built-in Techron additive as the reason that the carbs are so clean, and that, 11 years and 34,000 miles later, the bike gets a consistent 45 mpg at speed, and performs so well.

      I have no idea whether my stutter is fixed or not. Once the bike is back together in another day or two, I will know. I suppose it is remotely possible that balancing the carbs will cure the stutter, although I am not going to bet a nickel on that. My guess is that the stutter will still be there, but I don't have time before my upcoming trip this Saturday to address this.

      If anyone has any ideas what could cause the stutter, besides a blocked or partially blocked jet, I am always open to suggestions.

      Anyway, I just wanted to offer up the suggestion that running high quality gas has significant benefits. I really wasn't intending to open up a debate on the subject. I know that petrol formulations may vary from state to state, even region to region so what may be true for this happy Chevron customer in Oregon certainly may not hold for someone somewhere else. I just thought my findings were interesting, and I wanted to share them with the group.

      Bud Izen
      '99 Platinum 900
      Eugene Oregon
    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2013
        Hi Bud,

        With regards to the 'stutter' you mentioned between 3 and 4K revs - that sounds ever so much like My Beloved Traceys' "coughs and splutters" which affected her for much of last year.

        After investigating all the probable causes and going through the Fuel and Ignition system TWICE it suddenly dawned on me to give the KILL SWITCH (something most of us hardly ever use because it is an EMERGENCY cut-off) contacts a clean using a good quality Contact Cleaner, rather than WD40.
        Just split the RH Switch Cluster, squirt some contact cleaner in the Kill Switch from the underside, put it all back together and then 'exercise' the switch back and forth (Ignition OFF) a few dozen times to clean up the contacts good and proper. Then put the Ignition ON, start her up and fingers crossed, the stutter will have gone for good.

        My Beloved Tracey been absolutely fine ever since! That engine Rev' Range (3-4K) must be some sort of resonant frequency for the Kill Switch Contacts.

        I now make a point of flicking the Kill Switch OFF and ON again a few times before starting her up after a few days off..

        Oh, and I'm with you on the 'Quality Gas' thing as well

        Hope this helps,

        Cheers
        Gordon
        2xBBB