Re: [TriumphTrophy] Popping at low RPM

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hi Ski,
         I've spent a lot more time working on and riding big V-twins than these multi's, but I think the popping usually comes from an air leak of some kind. Was it popping before you started to work on the carbs? The air leak would be most likely be in one of the rubber collars (split, cracked, or ?), are these EOM's?. I'd start with spraying WD-40 all along each rubber intake collars' edges. If it is sucking air, sucking in the WD-40 will kill the engine. If you replace one collar, change out all of them, and log the bike's mileage. This will really date me, but I recall way back, that some of the guys thought it was so cool to have your bike pop off upon deceleration, so they would drill a tiny hole in the exhaust header (s). So, maybe a tiny exhaust leak?
      On Apr 7, 2013, at 2:33 PM, etomosky@... wrote:

      Hi everyone,
      I found a 2000 1200 with a little under 1400 miles on it. Since picking her up last fall the carburetors have been cleaned and synced (twice) the spark plugs have been changed,two valve guides were reamed out and those two valves replaced (they had hit the pistons, a new crank shaft position sensor was installed, new coils were installed and battery was fitted, in addition to a new air box. A mouse had used the original air box for a condo, poor little guys.

      I've checked the battery and charging system with a multimeter, and all the parts that generate apark seem to be working as they should: none the less, below 2000 RPM the bike sputters and pops like a popcorn popper. When I ride, the bike generally performs well (more on that momentarily)no popping while travelling but it does start back up at stop lights and while idling. It pulls well at all speeds until it stalls from fuel starvation symptoms. I am waiting for some parts: roll over valve and fuel lines; before taking the bike apart again and will report out if I've been able to eliminate the fuel starvation issues.

      When the bike starts there is some whitish smoke until things warm up then it burns clear. I have noticed that my eyes burn while letting the bike warm up and letting it run to try and diagnose the issue. This is much better than the black smoke that came out of the bike when I first got it, prior to changing the air box and the coils.

      I am wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions on what might be the source of the popping. Thanks in advance.

      I am in upstate New York, run ethanol free 91 octane, as much as I can, and have changed all the fluids prior to taking her out a little bit last fall. She sat through the winter with her battery tended in a heated garage.

    • Samuel Crider
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013

        I also had all the same issues for the first six months of ownership. Completely clean the tank and petcock assembly. Reseal it with a light film of hilomar upon assembly. Replace the small o-rings under the carb to top caps. Replace the vacuum line to the petcock with the same size fuel line. If you still have the oem vacuum fuel venting network consider gutting it and just capping the other vacuum ports. Leaving the carb vents open to the atmosphere. If you have the means adjust the valves and sync the carbs before reinstalling the tank. Test the petcock by adding a gallon of fuel and gently sucking on the new vacuum hose. It should turn the fuel flow on and off with only a light suction. Once you get her reassembled this should cure the 1/4 tank syndrome and any related lean running issues. Providing your floats are set correctly and the carbs are completely unclogged. As for the popping mine slowly disappeared over a period of six months of daily use.

        Best of luck,

        Samuel
        96 BBBB PB
        New Orleans

        On Apr 8, 2013 6:27 AM, "etomosky@..." <etomosky@...> wrote:
[...]

        ------------------------------------

        List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

        Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
            TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Eric Tomosky

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
            Where about in upstate N.Y. I may be able to help you out. I am in Albany....

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2013
              I'm in Binghamton proper. Maybe we'll see each other on Route 88 at some point.

              Eric Tomosky AIA
              Associate

              From: "etomosky@..." <etomosky@...>
              Sender: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:33:04
              To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

              Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

              Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • IVOR COLLINS
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                Hi
                If you have any leaks in the exhaust system it can, especially on over run, draw in cold air from outside which then 'explode'  in the silencer. Take a look, I think you just have a leaking exhaust

                Good luck

                Where about in upstate N.Y. I may be able to help you out. I am in Albany....

                From: "etomosky@..." <etomosky@...>
                Sender: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:33:04
                To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013

                  Eric,

                  My best guess is the popping is  caused by an overly lean fuel condition over a extended time. Likely the beginning stages of burnt valves. Once the lean condition is corrected it seems to self heal. Richer fuel mixture provides the byproducts to fill the tiny leaking voids in the valve seats over time. Anyway, that's the only half logical puzzle of events I can dream up to explain my gals behavior.

                  One thing I forget to mention before is to check the tee screens. These are located inside the carb tees where the fuel lines connect. Mine were already missing and I never replaced them. Instead opting for the proper fuel line filters. So while your in there make sure they are clean as they can cause lean conditions as well.

                  Enjoy the ride!

                  Samuel

                  On Apr 10, 2013 3:30 AM, "Eric Tomosky" <etomosky@...> wrote:

[...]

                  List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.