Re: [TriumphTrophy] new member/owner

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
      Hey "Tom in Boston!"
         Welcome, we love new blood! I would like to suggest you take a little while to read our "facts file". It sounds like you might be a do-it-yourselfer, so you'll enjoy it. There were a few little teething problems these bikes have had. Not anything hard to square away. I imagine most of the small mods we've found to be done along the way have already been done on your new ride. You'll find notes on all you've inquired here, and in detail. We have some incredible people in our group that have really just made this group a resource. We will troubleshoot  just for the fun of it. We have a kind of special attachment for our Trophy's, as they are very rare on this side of the pond and the other, and even Down Under! Unfortunately the rarity also means that there was essentially no aftermarket  for "Doodads" larger production machines have. The good news is that we have found sources for most anything, and we are constantly trying out new ideas from group members. Once again Friend Welcome. Let us know where you are, and a little about your motorcycling career, and let's get acquainted Tom. I'm Poppa Jack I live in Buena Park, Ca., and I ride a 1995 1200/4 cyl. BRG Trophy. I bought new.  We cal the 4 cylinder bikes "BBBB" and the triples "BBBs". The "s" is for "silent" the "B" is for "Bang" short hand, sorta. Best of luck with yours!
      On Apr 4, 2013, at 5:56 AM, Tom Halchuk wrote:

      Hi

      I was searching for a commuter bike and recently purchased a 1996 Trophy. I have several bikes mostly 70's era Moto Guzzis, etc.

      What have owners done to improve/upgrade longevity, comfort etc.   I noticed the buffeting noise at speed is very loud even
      with ear plugs.

      Recommendations for windscreens? One brand vs another?

      Racetech front suspension conversion?  springs, gold valves sliders?  Why is the suspension on this model KYB?
      I am waiting on a manual.

      Tire recommendations?

      Clutch plates?

      Chain/Sprockets

      Does the countershaft,or shifter seal have weeping, leaking issues?

      Thanks in advance.

      Tom in Boston

      --
      Tom

    • Tom Halchuk
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
        John

        thanks for the info   This only has 33K on it.  It was a deal

        I run the MA Moto Guzzi group.   I have a 1976 T-3 cafe  I just about finished, A 1973 Eldorado.  65 Honda CB160  I use in the Moto Giro, an aeromacchi  and a couple of other none descript hondas

        I am selling a sweet sv650 that a friend converted to a race bike .  Nice handling , dyno tuned, pip/can /jet/suspensioned little monster.  My wife and I agreed to swap the racebike for the more practical trophy.  What does that mean anyway?

        So I will be using the trophy as a commuter/long hauler.

        I had 11 bikes for awhile.  8 Guzzis of various breeds.  I am trying to find the perfect number. Oh yeah I have a butt ugly Honda CX500 with Krauser bags on it. I keep that at our cottage.  Surprisingly it rides and handles very well.

        I run a guzzi list and tiddler list on yahoo.

        Thanks f Again
        Tom

        On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM, johnm12433 <johmurr@...> wrote:

        > I was searching for a commuter bike and recently purchased a 1996 Trophy. I
        > have several bikes mostly 70's era Moto Guzzis, etc.

        Hi Tom

        You have good taste in bikes. I've got a '76 LM 850 and a '74 S3 as well as a '96 BBBB Trophy.

        The mechanical aspects of the motor in these bikes is pretty well bullet proof. The only thing that could be called a weakness is the sprag clutch for the starter motor. NEVER try to start the motor on a tired battery as a bad kick back can blow the sprag and your up for a motor strip down to get it out. (not like the car type Bosch starter which takes 5 minutes to get out of the Guzzi - if your lazy ;^)). Having said that mine has done 98,000 K's with no sign of a starter problem and if you keep it tuned and serviced well and starting easily it will be fine.

        They did suffer from a bad batch of coils and/or ignition sensors but most of them have been sorted by now. Usually manifests itself by stopping when hot, cooling down, starting again and running until hot.....you know the drill. Easy fix if it ever happens.

        Another little bug that can catch you out is what is known as "the 1/4 tank syndrome". Gets down to about a 1/4 tank (duh) on a run down the freeway and starts to starve for fuel and stop. Open the tank and away it goes. Caused by the little rubber button valves inside the fuel cap sticking to the metal and not letting it breath. Chuck em. I did and never had the problem again and no great finger from the sky blew my tank up (yet).

        Windscreens - I've got the stock unit which may be a bit "buffety" sometimes but there are various options listed in the files section. I tend to put the plugs in and not worry about it but I may try a Laminar Lip or even cutting it down a bit sometime.

        Suspension - I've put 15 weight oil in the front, a 1 cm spacer on top of the springs, increased the oil volume in the fork legs by about 10% and a optioned Penske shock on the back and it handles very well indeed. (so well in fact I need to replace the pegs) Still very compliant and comfortable but stops the dive under braking they were a bit suspect to.

        By the way - is your ear to the screen?? Are you listening carefully??? .....

        DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT BRAKE IN SLOW TURNS!!!!

        You have been warned.

        There are those that have and there are those that will drop this bike on slow turns by touching the front brake. They are famous for it. The suspension dips...rebounds....and there you go, another blinker bites the dust.

        Tyres - I currently use Michelin Pilot Road 2 and as an all round tyre I find them quite good. I've tried Pirellis, Bridgestones and Metzlers, but keep coming back to the Michi's for some reason.

        Clutches - if you use the proper 4T oil you will have no problem....period. They are bloody strong.

        Final drive - I've changed mine from the '96 ratio to the '99 ratio (I think it's 19/42) and am quite happy with it. Slightly lower revs in top at the speed limit and a bit more flexible through the gears.

        Seals - The motor is pretty oil tight but DO change the shifter seal if you have to change the front sprocket. DON'T go to Triumph and spend AU $14.00 and wait for 6 weeks from Blighty when you can go to your garden variety bearing supplier and pick up the (very common) seal for AU $2.10. For that matter, most of the ancillary parts on these bikes (switch gear, Brakes, carburettors etc.) are pretty common on a range of big Japanese mid to late 90's bikes).

        Other than issues caused by low levels of maintenance and common sense these bikes are one of the best. HEAPS of lazy torque and can hustle along better than most of the big tourers. I keep thinking of changing to another bike but then I go for a run to Brisbane and back again (800klm each way)and I decide to keep it each time.

        Give it some love, service it, tune it and ride it like you stole it.

        JohnM

        PS. There IS the airbox. Whoever designed that arrangement needs his nuts Tasering but hey....it's a British bike. What did you expect???

        --
        Tom
      • Tom Halchuk
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
          Intro

          My name is Tom Halchuk.  I am a motorcycle addict.   I run the MA MGNOC chapter.  Moto Guzzi National Owners Club.  We are a very active group of about 100+

          I have had up to 11 bikes mostly Guzzi at one time.  Then realized I was never going to be able to configure them into the bikes I wanted.  And I ran out of room.  So i sold some and gave others away.

          present stable
          65 aeromacchi M50S - i don't know why
          65 Honda cb160 - Moto Giro bike
          70 Honda 175 - spare giro bike
          73 MG Eldorado - modfied with modern brakes, suspension and electrics  - cool ride
          76 MG T-3+ Cafe - 1st Guzzi I owned.  Had it since 78.  It is an amalgam of the best of IMHO the 70-80's tonti frames. )LeMans, CX100) I built this the way Guzzi should have.
          80 Honda CX500 - ugliest bike - bullet prove beater

          I came close to buying a Triumph Sprint ST in 2000   Bought a MG V11 Sport Lime Green.

          Recently had a 1966 500 Triumph hi pipe  (don't remember the model) sitting in my dry basement for 10 yrs. "temp" storage for a friend till he broke it to his wife.  That took a while.

          Now the Trophy   I needed a dependable "modern" bike with integrated bags I could just get on and ride to work and no worry about it.  Most of the other bikes are solo seats also.  With the Trophy my wife may actually come with me.

          On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

[...]

        • joan tabberer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
            Someone said their bike handles (so well in fact I need to replace the pegs)

            Mine must handle really well...    I had to change the front indicator and the side panel and pannier need more than a bit of polishing!   *:P tongue

            Sorry, I'll get back on the naughty step!

            :)
            Joan