Re: Non Starting Trophy 900 1995,

  • nick591@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      You don't say if it turns over when you push the stater button? If not (and neutral light dying suggests a big power drain) check starter relay in front of battery box and starter motor. Have you checked if the engine actually can turn? It might be seized after a long lay up. Where are you?

      Cheers, Nick
      South Bucks

      Sent from my HTC

    • a2
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
        Crickey if it hasn't moved the engine - pour engine oil into the spark plugs and let it soak through in a day or so.

        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "nick591@..." <nick591@...> wrote:

        > You don't say if it turns over when you push the stater button? If not (and neutral light dying suggests a big power drain) check starter relay in front of battery box and starter motor. Have you checked if the engine actually can turn? It might be seized after a long lay up. Where are you?
        >
        > Cheers, Nick
        > South Bucks
        >
        > Sent from my HTC

      • gluman3
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
          Crickey,

          Before doing damage to your motor, put bike on the center stand, shift to sixth gear and try to turn over the motor with the back wheel. If it will not turn, remove the spark plugs and put about a table spoon of Marvel Mystery oil other other penetrating oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a while. Try turning the motor over again with the back wheel. If successful, you will now need to completely clean out the carburetors, clean all jets, replace o-rings, float needles. Good luck.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
            Crickey is an appropriate expression for this occasion and I'm not even sure what it means! We are all flying blind here with little exchange of information with all due respect to Kevin.
                We have little on no information to go on except that the neutral light dims and something clicks under the seat when the starter button is pushed. We don't know if the engine is turning over but not starting or if it's even capable of turning over. Steve's suggestion would provide some really useful information.
                Again; With all due respect Kevin, we need an EXCHANGE of information in order to help you. We don't even know where you are located to know whether or not you have the California model or not. These things would be extremely helpful as there are a lot of people here that are dying to help but one needs to help himself as well. No offense intended.
            Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
              Nice one Ed.

              3 years is long enough to take cautionary route. Although piston and liners are generally not the weakest part of this engine.

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gluman3" <1triumphrider@...> wrote:

              > Crickey,
              >
              > Before doing damage to your motor, put bike on the center stand, shift to sixth gear and try to turn over the motor with the back wheel. If it will not turn, remove the spark plugs and put about a table spoon of Marvel Mystery oil other other penetrating oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a while. Try turning the motor over again with the back wheel. If successful, you will now need to completely clean out the carburetors, clean

            • johnm12433
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gluman3" <1triumphrider@...> wrote:

                > Crickey,

                Hi Ed

                "Crikey" A minced oath originating from "Christ" (like "Gosh" originated from "God").

                Made popular by our own Steve Irwin of "The Crocodile Hunter" fame.

                Used in the context of "Crikey, that's a bloody big stingray. Gosh, I hope he doesn't get me." (could also be an example of famous last words but no one knows.)

                JohnM
              • gordon2xbbb
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Crikey...I know for a fact that the word was in use LONG before Mr Irwin came along - though he was instrumental in re-introducing it to the wider world through his wonderful TV Shows.

                  So much better than 'wtf' and OMG in my humble opinion..

                  Wicked humour btw..

                  Cheers
                  Gordon
                  2xBBB
                  Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Thanks Gordon! And your "FACT" originates where?
                        The word is frequently used in Australia, but it did not originate there.  According to "The Oxford English Dictionary" [OED] -- the multi-volume, "bible" of the world of etymology -- it is a "swear word," meant to replace the actual name of Jesus.  It is used in place of "Christ!" or "For Christ's Sake!"

                    The first WRITTEN usage was in 1838.  Of course, it would have been SPOKEN many years before that time.The word ORIGINATED in Great Britain.  The Australians adopted it!
                        Now that we know another way to use the Lords name in vain we can possibly ask him for forgiveness and more information about Kevin's bike that wont start! :-\
                    On 4/3/2013 3:30 AM, gordon2xbbb wrote:
                    Crikey...I know for a fact that the word was in use LONG before Mr Irwin came along - though he was instrumental in re-introducing it to the wider world through his wonderful TV Shows.

                    So much better than 'wtf' and OMG in my humble opinion..

                    Wicked humour btw..

                    Cheers
                    Gordon
                    2xBBB
                    Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "johnm12433" <johmurr@...> wrote:

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gluman3" <1triumphrider@> wrote:

                    Crickey,

                    Made popular by our own Steve Irwin of "The Crocodile Hunter" fame.

                    Used in the context of "Crikey, that's a bloody big stingray. Gosh, I hope he doesn't get me." (could also be an example of famous last words but no one knows.)

                    JohnM

                    ------------------------------------

                    List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                    Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • gordon2xbbb
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2013
                      Ok, to be more precise I should have said that I remember the word 'Crikey' being used LONG before Mr Irwin used it on his TV shows.

                      It is word that originated in the English language. That other nations on this earth also use English as their language is a matter of historical fact that cannot be disputed.

                      A living language changes and evolves with time and use - not always for the better.

                      I'm glad it still works for our purposes here though

                      Cheers
                      Gordon
                      2xBBB
                      Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK