Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Split diaphram - will that give my symptoms?

  • triumphtrophy12
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2013
      Wrong Answer.  Some of the parts are available from other sources. the Diaphragm is one of those.  Steve: contact me off line directly.

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
      Jacksonville, FL

      On 3/29/2013 5:38 PM, Greg wrote:

      Hi Steve, The diaphragm only can be bought from Triumph dealer.
      Looks like you are on your way to fixing it.
      Greg
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stevec1200brg" <stevec1200brg@...> wrote:

      > Hello again everyone,
      I have poor cold starting and a hesitancy at engine speeds just over idle.

      > I found a small but definate split in the diaphram of No.3 carburettor.

    • a2
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2013
        Hi again Steve.
        Running the bike with the air filter off with a view of the sliders will confirm their operation as they should react together. Also blowing through the top of the carbs will operate the slider.
        You may have missed the Ed Johnson voltage boost to the coils in the meantime and you might want to check that out too.
        Good luck
        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stevec1200brg" <stevec1200brg@...> wrote:

        > Hello again everyone,
        >
        > I had to stop work on the bike for a month or so because of a berevement but, today I managed to spend a couple of hours in the garage.
        >
        > As you know, I've been working on my carbs because I have poor cold starting and a hesitancy at engine speeds just over idle.
        >
        > I found a small but definate split in the diaphram of No.3 carburettor.
        >
        > May I ask you chaps, will that give hesitancy symptoms? Or how would I tell one diaphram is split from the saddle?
        >
        > Also No. 4 diaphram doesn't want to sit back in it's goove and I'm not sure if maybe it wasn't properly sat down in it's groove when I last put it together so it's stretched. - although I didn't have my hesitancy after that so, I'm guessing, even if it did stretch, it sealed anyways.
        >
        > About the hard cold starting. The No. 4 nozzel which goes in the float assembly had fallen out as well as the No.1 one - which you chaps set me straight about. both the nozzles popped back in but I've lost confidence that they will stay there. You've given me some good advice about fixing the nozzles back in, but, I've decided to replace the two float assemblies and hang the expense.

      • Greg

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2013
            Thank you all for some very good advice.

            Thanks Bob – I understand Suzuki fit these Mikuni carbs and parts are less expensive too.

            I like dealing with Triumph – I get free postage, the guy there really knows his stuff – it's kinda worth the extra money. I know that sounds like I've more money than sense. But that's not true I have no money AND no sense.

            Thanks Greg You say I probably won't need a new slide – I hope you're right all mine seem okay. but I've nothing to compare them to.

            A2. That's a really good idea – I'll run the bike with the air filter off and see if the sliders raise and fall together. Obviously sticky ones represent a problem.
          • slovcan
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2013
              Hi guys,

              You should be able to check the diaphragm/slider action without running the engine. Lift the slides with your finger and let them drop. They should drop slowly and approximately the same speed. If one drops quicker, that's the one to look more closely at. Mind you, my only experience is with Keihins.

              Also, don't EVER spray carb cleaner into the carb inlets. Destroys the diaphragms.

              And yes, the split diaphragm will definitely give the symptoms described. Also, the fallen out enrichment jets from the floats will cause hard starting.

              Cheers,
              Glenn