Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re:Voltage Drop was Carb balancing.

  • joan tabberer
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hi Ed,
      if you are measuring the voltage with no load attached you will probably not notice the effect of a high resistance joint, because there is no current flowing and the volt meter is a high impedance.

      Try hooking a fog lamp, spot lanp or headlamp bulb to the Coil +ve cable and to earth, the lamp should illuminate brightly, (this is a significantly lower impedance load than the test meter!)
      now measure the voltages at the coil wiring connector, if the lamp is 55 watts or there abouts, there should be five to six amps flowing through the cable, and that should cause a potential drop over any high resistance elements in the circuit.
      which should help you identify the location of any problem on this circuit!
      Hope that helps. regards Joan

      From: Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...>
       Said...
      " I am measuring the voltage with the coils unhooked at the positive side and reading from there to ground. "

    • ian.peart
      Message 32 of 32 , May 10, 2013
        Hi

        Some good help here. I have a problem, though.

        When sync'ing I cannot get vacuum anywhere near 152mmHg. The best I can get is around 300mmHg! That is to much vacuum - clogged air filter perhaps? Also she's stood over the winter and now pops on idle and over-run which would suggest it's lean which contradicts a clogged filter. Did a 300 mile run last weekend and got 47mpg - suggesting she's running very lean.

        Any ideas?

        Ian