Re: [TriumphTrophy] Oil pump rebuild

  • apsllp@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
      Another owner who was on this list bought a used 1200 where there war porosity in the upper part of the oil sump. It was fixed with loctite and is still going strong.  He has ridden the bike all over the USA since.  Although he may have sold it now.  An in experienced dealer mechanic might have suggested new engine castings.

      Moral of this story is LOOK for yourself first!

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
        Hi Bob, It looks like you don't trust the stealer mechanic. Hey, they have got to put their kids thru college also. LOL
        Used oil pumps can be found on eBay for about $50.

        I've done all of my own wrenching for the past 10 years. A little scary at first, but very rewarding when it is all back together and running right.
        Greg Andrews
        '96 900 BRG
        93,000 smiles

        apsllp@ wrote:
        An inexperienced dealer mechanic might have suggested new engine castings.
        Moral of this story is LOOK for yourself first!
        Bob Clark
      • a2
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
          Samuel

          here is a small selection of the choice bits I found in my 900 there was about a cubic inch of debris BUT is wasn't anywhere near blocking the strainer as the strainer is long at about 4" approx and tends to gather the bits at one end first thus at most about 1" was compromised.

          Sorry for the haynes manual in the background but I was trying to show some scale. Just as well I never published the photos of the water level in my fuel tank nor rust in the bottom of it as all remaining credence would have evaporated - but it ran....

          Never did make out where the bearing looking bits came from despite taking the engines apart.

          OP - Just thought - I ran the engine with the cam cover off and there is a visible flow of oil discharged from the pump - if all is well.

          A2