Re: [TriumphTrophy] Oil pump rebuild

  • Samuel Crider
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15 9:53 PM

      Red lint??????? Good grief!! At least it wasn't Ed's mystery brass bits. Man, I'm gonna have to drop my sump soon......

      Samuel

      On Mar 15, 2013 10:38 PM, "apsllp@..." <apsllp@...> wrote:

      And do you KNOW how the dealer diagnosed it?  Where is the bike located?

      Without pulling the sump, you can't tell if the pump is bad or not. The dealer couldn't either.  If the dealer had done that, he was 70% of the way to completing the work.  I suspect all the dealer did was put an oil pressure gauge on the system. The sump was never opened and the dealer is speculating with a Worst Case proposition.

      The screens collect things and then the pump starves.  It does not mean the pump is bad.  When I removed the oil pan on my 1200, I found a good amount of red lint in my oil intake screens.  This is indicative of a builder having cleaned parts with a red shop rag during assembly.  If a cam tensioner or anything else had restricted flow through the screens, the oil pressure would show reduced below the factory specifications.  A dealer would say  the oil pump was bad when in fact, it was not.

      Spend an afternoon removing the oil pan and finding out for sure.  The worst you could find is you might actually need a pump. It's easy to change once you have it this far appart.

    • apsllp@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16 4:14 AM
        Another owner who was on this list bought a used 1200 where there war porosity in the upper part of the oil sump. It was fixed with loctite and is still going strong.  He has ridden the bike all over the USA since.  Although he may have sold it now.  An in experienced dealer mechanic might have suggested new engine castings.

        Moral of this story is LOOK for yourself first!

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16 6:25 AM
          Hi Bob, It looks like you don't trust the stealer mechanic. Hey, they have got to put their kids thru college also. LOL
          Used oil pumps can be found on eBay for about $50.

          I've done all of my own wrenching for the past 10 years. A little scary at first, but very rewarding when it is all back together and running right.
          Greg Andrews
          '96 900 BRG
          93,000 smiles

          apsllp@ wrote:
          An inexperienced dealer mechanic might have suggested new engine castings.
          Moral of this story is LOOK for yourself first!
          Bob Clark
        • a2
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16 10:03 AM
            Samuel

            here is a small selection of the choice bits I found in my 900 there was about a cubic inch of debris BUT is wasn't anywhere near blocking the strainer as the strainer is long at about 4" approx and tends to gather the bits at one end first thus at most about 1" was compromised.

            Sorry for the haynes manual in the background but I was trying to show some scale. Just as well I never published the photos of the water level in my fuel tank nor rust in the bottom of it as all remaining credence would have evaporated - but it ran....

            Never did make out where the bearing looking bits came from despite taking the engines apart.

            OP - Just thought - I ran the engine with the cam cover off and there is a visible flow of oil discharged from the pump - if all is well.

            A2