Crashes

  • Ken Hastie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2013
      I've read a couple of reports of crashes in this group over the years and
      whilst riders often blame other drivers for doing stupid things, it is
      usually the fact they (the riders) had not left enough stopping distance
      between them and the vehicle ahead to avoid hitting them.

      Now, I am not trying to tell people how to ride and not taking a 'holier
      than thou' stance (because I am guilty of the same riding myself from time
      to time).

      However, in this country (UK, no matter what stupid actions the driver (or
      rider) in front takes, if you can’t avoid them then it is YOU who is
      generally at fault for not leaving sufficient stopping distance (this is
      covered in the Highway Code, which for the benefit of our overseas friends
      is a HMSO publication that in many cases forms part of UK law). It is YOU
      who eill be either prosecuted or will be 'at fault' when it comes to
      insurance claims.

      So my advice is simple and hopefully timely before the idiots get out on the
      roads for summer. Leave enough room where you can between the vehicle in
      front and yourself and you have an escape option. Saying you were looking
      the other way is also not a get-out as you should be leaving enough room for
      your stopping distance AND the looking around bit !

      Ken Hastie
      Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
      and D14 Bantams