Re: CRASH! Dangit...body panels needed.

  • JackM
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
      Oooops! Bob is correct, I neglected to say which side. I need the pieces for the left side, as you're sitting on it.

      Oh! And I learned something that may be useful to anyone if you are on a trip somewhere and should also crash and break the footpeg (as I did). You can swap the driver and passenger footpegs with each other. They have a very slightly different shape, but work just fine, especially compared to no footpeg at all.

      Later dudes.

      Jack
      Placerville, CA
      (Hangtown USA)

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
        Damn Jack,
           How fast were you going? Comon tell old Poppa all about it? What happened to put you down Brother?
        On Feb 24, 2013, at 8:22 PM, JackM wrote:

        Oooops! Bob is correct, I neglected to say which side. I need the pieces for the left side, as you're sitting on it.

        Oh! And I learned something that may be useful to anyone if you are on a trip somewhere and should also crash and break the footpeg (as I did). You can swap the driver and passenger footpegs with each other. They have a very slightly different shape, but work just fine, especially compared to no footpeg at all.

        Later dudes.

        Jack
        Placerville, CA
        (Hangtown USA)

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, apsllp@... wrote:

        > Jack:
        >
        > Which side are you looking for? Left and right are different.
        >
        > Bob

      • JackM
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013
          Honestly, when me and Mr T hit the deck, we were not going too fast. Maybe 15 mph, but we SLAMMED down. So here's the play by play.

          We were on a three-lane surface street in the far left lane. I followed a car into the center lane, nice and easy. I needed to get to the right lane to get to the on-ramp to Highway 50. In my mirrors, the right lane also looked clear, but I needed to look over to make sure nothing was in the blind spot. Mind you, there was so much traffic noise that I could not hear an individual car next to me. Anyway... In the exact second that I looked to my right to check the blind spot, a car jerked out from the right lane directly in front of the car I was following. That car slammed on his brakes in reaction. The half-second or so I turned my head was all it took to make the situation dangerous. When I looked forward again, all I could do was grab a fistful of front brake. Problem was, the front tire was not pointed perfectly straight, so when the tire locked up, it immediately washed out to the left and down we went.

          My mistake in this scenario was minor, but important. I was in the aforementioned center lane, but was still moving from the left wheel track to the right wheel track. I should have never taken my eyes away from forward until I was fully in the right wheel track and ready to move another lane over. Had I done so, I would have seen the offending car make its lunge and would have had ample time to stop. Lesson learned.

          First time I have been down on the street in 20 years, but thankful the lesson was so relatively minor. I'm not too proud to confess my mistake in this scenario if it will help you guys think about how you also ride in traffic.

          Blessings to you all.

          Jack
          Placerville, CA
          (Hangtown USA)
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

          > Damn Jack,
          > How fast were you going? Comon tell old Poppa all about it? What
          > happened to put you down Brother?
          > Kindest regards,
          > Poppa Jack
          > On Feb 24, 2013, at 8:22 PM, JackM wrote:
          >
          > > Oooops! Bob is correct, I neglected to say which side. I need the
          > > pieces for the left side, as you're sitting on it.
          > >
          > > Oh! And I learned something that may be useful to anyone if you are
          > > on a trip somewhere and should also crash and break the footpeg (as
          > > I did). You can swap the driver and passenger footpegs with each
          > > other. They have a very slightly different shape, but work just
          > > fine, especially compared to no footpeg at all.
          > >
          > > Later dudes.
          > >
          > > Jack
          > > Placerville, CA
          > > (Hangtown USA)
          > >
          > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, apsllp@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Jack:
          > > >
          > > > Which side are you looking for? Left and right are different.
          > > >
          > > > Bob

        • slovcan
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013
            Hi Jack,

            That's called complacency. Everybody here has had moments of complacency while riding - you're in the groove, at one with your machine, you think and it moves, then BANG, something potentially serious brings you instantly back to reality - usually just in the nick of time. It has happened to me - AND to everyone else here if they are honest with themselves.

            I'm really sorry that happened to you, Jack, and hope everyone else takes note of how it did and remember to always focus while riding. Also, really good it was just pride and plastic that took the hit.

            Ed offered a great thing with a contribution/"payment" for the famous fuel knob. I have a spare windshield - well, 2 actually, a stock and a Clearview medium - if you need one. Let me know and I'll send it off to you.

            Cheers,
            Glenn