CRASH! Dangit...body panels needed.

  • JackM
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hey All,
      Well, this past Thursday, Mr. T (my bike's nickname) and I hit the deck amid heavy traffic. His damage and mine were purely superficial, but his covers a lot of real estate.

      So I am searching for pacific blue fairing lower, pannier outer and maybe even the front nose cowling. I would also accept same pieces of a different color if they are in excellent condition.

      Also... does anyone know how to "fill" and smooth the ABS bodywork on this bike? Websites, etc? I may try to repair the pannier as it was only heavily scratched, but have never done such a thing with ABS.

      Thanks in advance for your help. If you have the aforementioned pieces, please reply to me privately, so we don't choke up this board with all the back and forth.

      PS - I call him Mr. T because "I pity the fool" on any other machine who tries to contend with him. :)

      Jack
      Placerville, CA
      (Hangtown USA)
    • a2
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "JackM" <jackon2wheelz@...> wrote:

        > Hey All,
        > Well, this past Thursday, Mr. T (my bike's nickname) and I hit the deck amid heavy traffic. His damage and mine were purely superficial, but his covers a lot of real estate.
        >
        > So I am searching for pacific blue fairing lower, pannier outer and maybe even the front nose cowling. I would also accept same pieces of a different color if they are in excellent condition.
        >
        > Also... does anyone know how to "fill" and smooth the ABS bodywork on this bike? Websites, etc? I may try to repair the pannier as it was only heavily scratched, but have never done such a thing with ABS.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help. If you have the aforementioned pieces, please reply to me privately, so we don't choke up this board with all the back and forth.
        >
        > PS - I call him Mr. T because "I pity the fool" on any other machine who tries to contend with him. :)
        >
        > Jack
        > Placerville, CA
        > (Hangtown USA)

      • a2
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
          I wa trying to say sorry about your news Jack. Also plenty of abs repairs shown on YouTube.
          A2
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
            Hi Jack, Glad to read you didn't get hurt too bad. Plastex works good.
            http://www.plastex.net
            Body filler will fill in the scratches. Search for a shop that will mix paint up and put it in a spray can, then shoot clear coat over it. A local shop charges about $25 per can depending on the color.
            Greg

            "JackM" wrote:
            Hey All,...His damage and mine were purely superficial, but his covers a lot of real estate.
            So I am searching for pacific blue fairing lower, pannier outer and maybe even the front nose cowling. ... does anyone know how to "fill" and smooth the ABS bodywork on this bike?
            Thanks in advance for your help.
            Jack
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
              If you just get the mixed paint, you can pick up the other things you need (usually reducer- but the place you get paint from can fill in the details) and put it in your own "Spray paint" apparatus called a Preval

              http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Sprayer-PVE267-Spray-Gun/dp/B000TRL9PY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361657225&sr=8-2&keywords=pre-val

              No affinity for Amazon, just an easy way to show you want you'd be looking for. You should be able to get these locally (Napa near me sells them).

              And, as others have said, sorry to hear about the incident, but most importantly you're not significantly injured.

              Scott

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:
              >... Search for a shop that will mix paint up and put it in a spray can, then shoot clear coat over it.
            • triumphtrophy12

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Tsk!

                  I can't go 'off-piste' for a couple of days without this happening to somebody ! Sorry to hear your news Jack. Commiserations etc.

                  A2 has had some success with his Plastex repairs I believe and I have managed to re-attached all of the Inner-panel support/fixing tabs (which were broken off by the P.O. using cigar tin plate strips and fibre-glass paste. Not pretty but out of sight and all bar one has held firm for over 18 months now.

                  External cosmetic damage is not my forte (repairing it that is) I just fill with a fine surface filler and repaint using the OE Touch-Up paint. Not worth spending a whole lot of time and money on it at this stage, IMO. If it looks OK from 10 feet, in a rear view mirror or from an on-coming vehicle then that's fine by me.

                  Cheers
                  Gordon
                  2xBBB
                  Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

                  > I wa trying to say sorry about your news Jack. Also plenty of abs repairs shown on YouTube.
                  > A2

                • a2
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
                    I certainly like the plastex but I wouldn't hesitate to stich some stiff non rusting metal wire across cracks by heating the wire and sinking it in from the inside. Then plastex the remaining cracks and bondo the outside to finish.

                    Plastex will reform lost tabs by heating the thermo plastic in the kit and forming it around a new tab. Then positioning the cooled mold over a broken tab and filling in the lost tab with plastex- fun process and very effective, accurate and stiff tabs created.

                    I tried fibreglass but it will only adhere to a roughened surface and doesn't naturally stick to abs. Fibreglass can form a stiffened skin behind the abs though.

                    A2

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Hey Fool! I mean; Jack! Send me your Pay Pal address and I'll send you $75 to contribute to the fund to res-erect your Trophy in exchange for the the Aluminum Fuel knob you sent me in my time of need! Sorry I have not been in the position to repay your kindness until now! Amazing how GOD arranges these things isn't it?
                          Trust in God! He Trusts in You!
                      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
[...]

                      ------------------------------------

                      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • JackM
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
                        Oooops! Bob is correct, I neglected to say which side. I need the pieces for the left side, as you're sitting on it.

                        Oh! And I learned something that may be useful to anyone if you are on a trip somewhere and should also crash and break the footpeg (as I did). You can swap the driver and passenger footpegs with each other. They have a very slightly different shape, but work just fine, especially compared to no footpeg at all.

                        Later dudes.

                        Jack
                        Placerville, CA
                        (Hangtown USA)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                          Damn Jack,
                             How fast were you going? Comon tell old Poppa all about it? What happened to put you down Brother?
                          On Feb 24, 2013, at 8:22 PM, JackM wrote:

                          Oooops! Bob is correct, I neglected to say which side. I need the pieces for the left side, as you're sitting on it.

                          Oh! And I learned something that may be useful to anyone if you are on a trip somewhere and should also crash and break the footpeg (as I did). You can swap the driver and passenger footpegs with each other. They have a very slightly different shape, but work just fine, especially compared to no footpeg at all.

                          Later dudes.

                          Jack
                          Placerville, CA
                          (Hangtown USA)

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, apsllp@... wrote:

                          > Jack:
                          >
                          > Which side are you looking for? Left and right are different.
                          >
                          > Bob

                        • JackM
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013
                            Honestly, when me and Mr T hit the deck, we were not going too fast. Maybe 15 mph, but we SLAMMED down. So here's the play by play.

                            We were on a three-lane surface street in the far left lane. I followed a car into the center lane, nice and easy. I needed to get to the right lane to get to the on-ramp to Highway 50. In my mirrors, the right lane also looked clear, but I needed to look over to make sure nothing was in the blind spot. Mind you, there was so much traffic noise that I could not hear an individual car next to me. Anyway... In the exact second that I looked to my right to check the blind spot, a car jerked out from the right lane directly in front of the car I was following. That car slammed on his brakes in reaction. The half-second or so I turned my head was all it took to make the situation dangerous. When I looked forward again, all I could do was grab a fistful of front brake. Problem was, the front tire was not pointed perfectly straight, so when the tire locked up, it immediately washed out to the left and down we went.

                            My mistake in this scenario was minor, but important. I was in the aforementioned center lane, but was still moving from the left wheel track to the right wheel track. I should have never taken my eyes away from forward until I was fully in the right wheel track and ready to move another lane over. Had I done so, I would have seen the offending car make its lunge and would have had ample time to stop. Lesson learned.

                            First time I have been down on the street in 20 years, but thankful the lesson was so relatively minor. I'm not too proud to confess my mistake in this scenario if it will help you guys think about how you also ride in traffic.

                            Blessings to you all.

                            Jack
                            Placerville, CA
                            (Hangtown USA)
                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

                            > Damn Jack,
                            > How fast were you going? Comon tell old Poppa all about it? What
                            > happened to put you down Brother?
                            > Kindest regards,
                            > Poppa Jack
                            > On Feb 24, 2013, at 8:22 PM, JackM wrote:
                            >
                            > > Oooops! Bob is correct, I neglected to say which side. I need the
                            > > pieces for the left side, as you're sitting on it.
                            > >
                            > > Oh! And I learned something that may be useful to anyone if you are
                            > > on a trip somewhere and should also crash and break the footpeg (as
                            > > I did). You can swap the driver and passenger footpegs with each
                            > > other. They have a very slightly different shape, but work just
                            > > fine, especially compared to no footpeg at all.
                            > >
                            > > Later dudes.
                            > >
                            > > Jack
                            > > Placerville, CA
                            > > (Hangtown USA)
                            > >
                            > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, apsllp@ wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Jack:
                            > > >
                            > > > Which side are you looking for? Left and right are different.
                            > > >
                            > > > Bob

                          • slovcan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013
                              Hi Jack,

                              That's called complacency. Everybody here has had moments of complacency while riding - you're in the groove, at one with your machine, you think and it moves, then BANG, something potentially serious brings you instantly back to reality - usually just in the nick of time. It has happened to me - AND to everyone else here if they are honest with themselves.

                              I'm really sorry that happened to you, Jack, and hope everyone else takes note of how it did and remember to always focus while riding. Also, really good it was just pride and plastic that took the hit.

                              Ed offered a great thing with a contribution/"payment" for the famous fuel knob. I have a spare windshield - well, 2 actually, a stock and a Clearview medium - if you need one. Let me know and I'll send it off to you.

                              Cheers,
                              Glenn