Re: Ongoing starting problems

  • a2
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 22, 2013
      Steve

      I used a carb cleaner and melted several of the rubbers. otherwise I have no experience of using additives.

      The cling film just stops all movement of gases - I even have an impression the fuel doesn't go off as quick.

      Are you sure fuel is flowing fast enough and prime is actually working?

      Bitch these faults as my bike is a difficult starter and yet years of going round and round has sort of got me reliable.

      Might be worth checking coil resistances. there is a method in the GBOH that Bob pointed me to.

      A2

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stevec1200brg" <stevec1200brg@...> wrote:

      > Hi A2
      >
      > Thanks for your answer, Some time back, I drained the tank completely dry - on your advice (thank you) and, nowadays, always brim the tank just before coming home to avoid condensation inside the tank. I've not used clingfilm over the tank, but don't understand how that'd help.
      >
      > I've tried with and without Prime doesn't seem to make a difference - I checked too that the Fuel Knob is actually moving the tap.
      >
      > I Press the starter for about three seconds before release, any more would (I think) tire the battery more quickly and possibly overhead the starter motor? Anyways, I don't just lean on the starter.
      >
      > Stupidly, I have not checked for a spark in cold/damp conditions. Obviously that's the first thing to do.
      >
      > About a carb clean. Are those petrol additives worth a try? Waste of time? what's your view?
      >
      > When I said it's very cold - by North American standards - it's positively balmy. IMO The bike should be fixed until it can cope with UK temperatures.
      >
      > I will check for a spark on damp conditions next - can't believe I didn't already. But it'll have to wait until next weekend - the bike has to work this weekend.
      >
      > Thanks again for your help - I'll report back

    • nigel_keating
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 23, 2013
        Poppa, I've never heard of that happening to a bt021. Maybe its faulty. anyone else mentioned that happening. Perhaps you should contact bridgestone.

        Cheers nigel
        99 BBBB nwuk
        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
      • stevec1200brg
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
          Thanks for your answer A2

          She wouldn't start today, I took the tank off and put a spare spark plug in No.1 HT lead – grounding the electrode on a rocker cover bolt - I'd say the spark was very positive. And I got a massive back fire!

          Early tomorrow morning I'll check No.2 or 4 HT (& 1 again) – it'll be colder and damper I want to see if the spark goes away. (I'll wear ear defenders too).

          I am assuming, if I get a good spark (which seems likely on current evidence) – then it's not electrical.

          Not sure if fuel runs on turn over. I will rig up a fuel hose and bucket and see if fuel flows when the engine turns over. I will take care to have the fan heater turned off and check ignition sources!

          Coils are only a year old. – I'll read up how to check them.

          Last week you said Carb clean A2. I've been trying to find a good you tube video for the Mikuni carb. Any suggestions?
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
            Hi Steve, Since you have the tank off, put the tank on a bench and try the three settings on the petcock. You wrote it turns, but check it out just to be sure.

            Here's a good written explanation on Mikuni carbs:
            http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

            You first wrote that if you heated the garage the bike would start up with no choke. That doesn't seem quit right unless the garage was heated to sauna temps. Do all the float assemblies still have the little jets in the choke picked up circuit? You know, like the little jets that used to roll around in Ed Johnson's float bowls.

            Greg Andrews
            '96 900 BRG

            "stevec1200brg" wrote:
            I took the tank off... I've been trying to find a good you tube video for the Mikuni carb. Any suggestions?
          • a2
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
              Steve

              Worked on someone else's bike a while back and he set up a new fuel line to a bottle with fresh fuel tied to a nearby post - That was an eye opener as it immediately narrowed the fuel/electrical debate to fuel in his case (as the bike ran perfectly on the fresh bottle)

              I personally wonder if fuel flows well after I have left the bike for a week or so - but have yet to narrow down what is going on.

              A2

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stevec1200brg" <stevec1200brg@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your answer A2
              >
              > She wouldn't start today, I took the tank off and put a spare spark plug in No.1 HT lead – grounding the electrode on a rocker cover bolt - I'd say the spark was very positive. And I got a massive back fire!
              >
              > Early tomorrow morning I'll check No.2 or 4 HT (& 1 again) – it'll be colder and damper I want to see if the spark goes away. (I'll wear ear defenders too).
              >
              > I am assuming, if I get a good spark (which seems likely on current evidence) – then it's not electrical.
              >
              > Not sure if fuel runs on turn over. I will rig up a fuel hose and bucket and see if fuel flows when the engine turns over. I will take care to have the fan heater turned off and check ignition sources!
              >
              > Coils are only a year old. – I'll read up how to check them.
              >
              > Last week you said Carb clean A2. I've been trying to find a good you tube video for the Mikuni carb. Any suggestions?

            • gluman3
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
                I have four carburetor type Hinkley Triumphs. Starting any of them has not been an issue, however, I have noticed, that they can load up and fowl the plugs easily if you are not careful to do it properly. If the bike has been sitting for a while, putting the petcock in Pri (Prime) will make sure the carburetors are full. Be sure to take out of prime position as soon as it starts. Use full choke but do not touch the throttle. If it does not start in three seconds of cranking (assuming your battery is in good condition, I use a battery tender on all my bikes) turn the choke off and try again. In most cases, it will start. At this point, you may want to give it a little gas to keep the rpm up but not to much. Excessive use of the choke will fowl the plugs and make it hard to start in the future.

                Cheers, Steve

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
                  Does "Fowling" the plugs mean that that they are full of bird feathers or does that equate to  "Fouling" the plugs? [A smart ass is better than no ass at all! :-) ]
                  Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
                    Hi Greg, The fuel tap definately turns easily. The plasic knob breaks so at once glance - I leave it on reserve.

                    No, I agree, it doesn't seem right. I am probably missing something. The garage just has to be a little warmer - that's why I was thinking it's more condensation related then temperature - if that makes sense!

                    I've favorited your link Thanks, I'll read it through.

                    I have no idea about "the little jets that used to roll around in Ed Johnson's float bowls".
                  • stevec1200brg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
                      Hi Gluman3

                      I've tried fetching out the spark plugs when it doesn't fire - they aren't fouled - no oily blackness - they're a perfect tan colour.

                      The book says cold srting is full choke no throttle. I've honestly tried that AND every combination of full/part choke and part throttle/no throttle imaginable inbetween.

                      Each attempt is on a different day with the vehicle having been on a run in the meantime. The most successfull is no choke with Carburettor Idle Screw 1/2 turn in (clockwise) to lift the idle speed - When the engine is warm that's about 1150 RPM so I adjust back to 1000.
                    • stevec1200brg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2013
                        Hi A2

                        You're right of course - got to narrow down what's occuring (not occuring).

                        Part of the plan for tomorrow is to check if the fuel pours out of the fuel hose if the tap is set On and Reserve whilst cranking

                        However, I've tried setting to Prime for 2 minutes before starting - seems to make no difference to the liklihood of it firing.

                        Prime definately works.
                      • Scotiawhiskers
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                          Hi Steve

                          I have a 2000 Legend triple, also in a damp garage. If standing for over a week usually needed lots of cranking and would be a struggle to start, sometimes a little troublesome even overnight.

                          I recently discovered that as with an old Kawasaki of mine years ago, if you crank for a second or 2 on choke, take the choke off fully then reapply she will fire up as the choke goes off, then keep running as you reapply. Much easier with the handlebar mounted one than the under tank one that was on the Kwak!

                          Easier and simpler than too much dismantling. Both the Legend and the old Kwak seem to run on the lean side in the carburation too - I wonder if it is maybe an icing issue with the closed throttle on a damp morning?

                          Good luck

                          Scotia

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stevec1200brg" <stevec1200brg@...> wrote:

                          > It's very cold (0 or 1 degree) in the UK today and the air is unusually dry.
                          >
                          > My year 2000 1200 lives in the garage and, usually, won't start from cold (I have to warm the garage first).
                          >
                          > Cold in my garage, usually means cold and wet with condensation.
                          >
                          > Just now the bike started right up - no choke.
                          >
                          > So, I am thinking, the difference is the dryness of the air and lack of condensation on the bike, perhaps this is an electrical problem.
                          >
                          > Where do you chaps think I should look for it?
                          >
                          > It's already had a new Battery, Coils, HT Leads (OE), Spark Plugs, cleaned earth connector at the Alternator, fuel drained, carbs balanced, tappets adjusted.
                          >
                          > I was going to strip and clean the sidestand switch and handel bar kill switch but I don't know if there's a more likely candidate to start off with.
                          >
                          > The motor turns over quickly on start up in all conditions.
                          >
                          > I would apreciate your ideas please.

                        • Greg
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                            Hi Steve,
                            Leaving it on reserve is a good thing, just watch for fuel gauge and mileage, easy.
                            The only problem with that is, if the bike sits for extended periods of time the fuel in the floats can evaporate leaving the float bowls empty. I don't know if the starter motor can turn the engine fast enough and long enough to pull enough vacuum to make the petcock work. Time for Prime. One of the reasons why our bikes don't like to be ignored.

                            The each float assembly has a small brass jet that sits down in the fuel. This jet constricts the plastic line that connects to the choke circuit. They fell out on Ed's bike. If he touched the choke it would send so much fuel that it would kill the engine. He didn't need to use the choke either. At least your spark plugs are tan. His weren't.

                            Condensation related, that's a tough one. I wonder if the clutch switch, sidestand, and neutral sensor has anything to do with it. If my sidestand is down or the switch plunger didn't fully extend, so it thinks the sidestand is still down. The engine will turn over with the starter motor, but no spark to the plugs. All crank and no fire. Could the extra condensation hang up the sidestand plunger.

                            Greg

                            "stevec1200brg" wrote:
                            The fuel tap definately turns easily... I leave it on reserve.
                            I was thinking it's more condensation related
                            I have no idea about "the little jets that used to roll around in Ed Johnson's float bowls".
                          • triumphtrophy12
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                              On my 1996 Thunderbird Triple (Same set up as the Legend) the problem
                              began with crud in both sets of Pilot jets. The way I cleaned them was
                              by dismantleing the rack, stripping the carbs and soaking each non
                              plastic part, washing, blowing out with compressed air and then
                              re-assembling. The job was really not as bad in hindsight as one would
                              think. I had excellent coaches. Properly Syncing the carbs makes all
                              the difference with clean pilots After a few goes at it, I can R&R the
                              carbs on the T-Bird in 45 minutes. The bike now starts from cold warm
                              or whatever in about 2 seconds. Today we have 28 degrees F here in
                              Northeast FL. on the C scale that would be below -0- if my memory
                              serves me right.

                              The bike is still slightly right on either cylinders 2 or 3. I'm still
                              playing with needles and thinking about raising the middle cylinder clip
                              one notch. Although she runs like a scalded cat! It has been very wet
                              here for several weeks and now very dry. Humidity makes no difference in
                              starting performance. I wish I had a proper EGT probe!

                              Bob Clark
                              01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                              96 BRG Thunderbird 900
                            • stevec1200brg
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                                Hi Scotia

                                I'll try your starting technic - thanks for the tip

                                I don't know what Carb Icing is - although I do know it doesn't have to be icy for it to happen (what ever it is)
                              • stevec1200brg
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                                  I synched the carbs 200 miles ago - I had trouble getting a screwdriver on one of the adjusters with the butterflys at Idle. I figured out that if I shut off the engine, open the throttle the adjustment screw came up nicely towards me for adjustment - a few stop/guess turn/start up got it sorted.

                                  I have four lovely metal columns bubbling gently. I was running perfectly.

                                  EGT probe? Exhaust Gas Thermostat Probe?

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                                        Long story short; New Battery and bike starts like normal. Full choke for a couple of seconds until she pops then turn off choke and she fires right up. I then have to give her a miniscule amount of throttle until I add a little choke back. As she warms up she goes to about 3000 and I keep backing down the choke until she almost reaches operating temperature.
                                        I had two new 16AH batteries crap out on me so went back to the my old battery and she started fine if I started her every day. Other wise I had to jump start her from my RUNNING Civic. Even my jump start box wouldn't do it. Popped for a new 16AH sealed battery and now she starts right up. Someone posted this link a while back which is something I think I will do to her in the near future. I haven't pulled the tank to see what voltage I'm getting to the coils now but I'm only getting 9.4V to the starter relay primary. I've cleaned all the connectors from one end of the bike to the other but still have this voltage drop somewhere on the bike. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the wires under the nose cone as when I was cleaning everything I could suddenly start her with the clutch released as long as she was in neutral. By the time I got the nose cone back on I could no longer do this so I must have a bad ground wire under there somewhere. The clutch switch and wires check out fine.
                                         The Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991
                                        Why I think this may be a valuable mod is that it eliminates any possibility of a voltage drop from anywhere but the battery. I've gone through 4 new batteries is 4 years on this bike. I take them back to Interstate and they load test them and tell me they are fine. However they will spin the starter but won't start the bike. Changed brands of batteries and everything works like new again except the starter relay ground issue with the clutch released. Let me make it clear that I don't CARE that I have to pull the clutch to start the engine but I do care if that is the cause of my voltage drop.
                                        Any suggestions? ElekTrickery is very confusing sometimes.
                                    Regards.
                                    Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy 1200

                                  • scotia whiskers
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                                      Carb icing is when ice (from moisture in the air or fuel) forms in the inlet tract. It is more affected by humidity than temperature.

                                      As fuel sprays in a fine mist out of the jet into the airflow, the effective change from liquid to gas takes energy from the fuel, dropping the temperature. It is one reason why cars tend to have a warm and cold air feed with a balancer mechanism in the airbox.

                                      Ice can build up on the walls, but also actually on the slides / air / fuel passageways. My GT550 Kawasaki is prone to icing up after it has been running for a while in cold moist conditions - I have homemade winter baffles to trap warm air around the carb bodies and airbox intake which helps.

                                      Piston aircraft engines are particularly prone to it and it can be very dangerous for them - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing gives basic info and a link to a downloadable chart.
                                    • scotia whiskers
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 3, 2013
                                        Sounds like a wire with an internal break. I had that on an old Kawasaki which would randomly cut out when turning the bars. The insulation looked fine but the main power feed wire from the ignition switch to the black box had fragmented inside leading to poor running and the occasional failure.

                                        If you've got something similar on either the main feed to the ignition switch or from the ignition switch back to the ignition you'll get a weak feed. If it is also the sensor line for the alternator then it will be charging to battery voltage or barely over. Had that on my old Guzzi - regulating to battery voltage +0.2V as long as the lights were off. With the lights on it was about 0.7V under battery at best!

                                        Hope that helps or gives more places to look.

                                        Scotia

                                      • gluman3
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 4, 2013
                                          Obviously I am a better mechanic than speller! Thanks for pointing out my "fowl" error (that spell checker missed) Ed. I got a good laugh out of that one!:)

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 4, 2013
                                                Well Steve, I have to apologize to the group for using the "Fowl" language in the forum :-[ but to get back on topic you might just be the person to answer my question the best.
                                            I think one of you may have posted this link; http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991

                                            Does anyone see a problem with doing this to my 2001 Trophy 1200 and then using the current + voltage connections to the coils to power the lights on a temp gauge on the left and the lights on a voltmeter on the the right? I've studied the schematics until I'm cross eyed and can't seem to find a flaw in this plan. Am I missing anything? I hear you guys talking about easy starts in cold weather and I'm here in Florida and my bike won't start if it gets down into the 40's F without a jump from the car unless she's been started every day.