Re: Front tire size

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      Cheers Greg, steering like a truck is what I am trying to get away from, I am running a 170/60 on the rear! I put heftier RaceTeach springs in the front forks to eliminate a bit of the front end dive and that has helped, but still find the turn in to be a less than stellar.

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

      > Hi Barry, I raised the fork tubes in the triple clamps 3/4 inch and that helps the turn in. After a few years I tried the stock setting again, but not for long. It steered like a truck. Another time I changed the rear while at my brother's in California. When I got home in Kansas City I noticed I must have got someone else's tire. It was a 190/50. the turn in was crappy again. Glad to get rid of that tire.
      > Greg
      >
      > "Barry" wrote:
      > Anyone run a 120/60 on the front instead of a 120/70, if so, what was your experience, the bike is a 1999 1200, some say it turns in faster, which might not be a bad thing, others say the 12mm height drop in the front end is a worry.
      > Thanks in advance

    • a2
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        Barry, I thought I read on this group that the higher profile turned in quicker. I was hoping to choose a lower profile to reduce the squaring off effect. This will mean also fitting a wider tyre on the rear at least as the standard trophy tyre on the triumph website is only available in one profile.

        I hope someone can clarify this!

        A2

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
          I hope someone can too!
          I found this very informative weblink, but it still doesn't answer the question of "turn-in" lots of other good technical data though.
          http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=120-70r17-120-60r17
          Thanks