Re: Front tire size

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      Thanks Poppa Jack, informative and entertaining read! I am running a 170/60 on the rear, I have tried a 180/55 in the past with no noticeable difference to be honest. I thought perhaps a 120/60 on the front instead of a 120/70 might make it turn in a little easier, but don't want to sacrifice safety for what might be barely noticeable.

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

      > Hey Friend,
      > What size tyre are you running out back? 12mm is about 1/2 inch,
      > I run a 190/55 17 on the rear, it dropped it down nearly an inch. I
      > had my '95 BBBB 's front forks "RaceTeched", and set up. I was
      > surprised to find they lowered my triple trees an inch on the tubes.
      > I never drag in the turns, and the bike feels absolutely planted. I
      > doubt you'll notice much difference at all. Are you looking to get
      > faster turn-in? I've run skinny tires a couple of times, and had a
      > small loss in front end grip at the bike limits of performance, but
      > not in normal riding. Hey maybe ED J. will chime in here. He's an old
      > racer. Greg Andrews, and A2. Come-on Boys, this is right down your
      > alley! I once went from a 2.5 in X 16, to a 3.0 X 18, on my Harley
      > Chopper, a '73 Shovel Chop with a 15 over Durfee Girder front end,
      > and it made all the difference in the world. The additional tire mass
      > gave much better gyroscopic effect, resulting in so much more
      > stability. Also the thinner the tire, the more likely you'll be
      > effected by the Florida, and California "Rain-Grooves". I've gotten
      > by that, by going up a size a few times. Please let us know of the
      > results of what you decide? Personally on the Trophy, I wouldn't do
      > it. Mainly I think with all the weight, and the strength of the front
      > breaks, you are courting unnecessary chance. If this is a one time
      > thing where you just got too good a deal, mount it and ride out the
      > miles a bit more reserved, and spend the extra coin on beer, gas, or
      > loose women (present company excepted Lass!) Come o think of it you
      > can't find women loose or otherwise, that you could entertain too
      > much on what you'll save?
      > Kindest regards,
      > Poppa Jack
      > On Feb 21, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Barry wrote:
      >
      > > Anyone run a 120/60 on the front instead of a 120/70, if so, what
      > > was your experience, the bike is a 1999 1200, some say it turns in
      > > faster, which might not be a bad thing, others say the 12mm height
      > > drop in the front end is a worry.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance

    • Barry
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
        Cheers Greg, steering like a truck is what I am trying to get away from, I am running a 170/60 on the rear! I put heftier RaceTeach springs in the front forks to eliminate a bit of the front end dive and that has helped, but still find the turn in to be a less than stellar.

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

        > Hi Barry, I raised the fork tubes in the triple clamps 3/4 inch and that helps the turn in. After a few years I tried the stock setting again, but not for long. It steered like a truck. Another time I changed the rear while at my brother's in California. When I got home in Kansas City I noticed I must have got someone else's tire. It was a 190/50. the turn in was crappy again. Glad to get rid of that tire.
        > Greg
        >
        > "Barry" wrote:
        > Anyone run a 120/60 on the front instead of a 120/70, if so, what was your experience, the bike is a 1999 1200, some say it turns in faster, which might not be a bad thing, others say the 12mm height drop in the front end is a worry.
        > Thanks in advance

      • a2
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
          Barry, I thought I read on this group that the higher profile turned in quicker. I was hoping to choose a lower profile to reduce the squaring off effect. This will mean also fitting a wider tyre on the rear at least as the standard trophy tyre on the triumph website is only available in one profile.

          I hope someone can clarify this!

          A2

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
            I hope someone can too!
            I found this very informative weblink, but it still doesn't answer the question of "turn-in" lots of other good technical data though.
            http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=120-70r17-120-60r17
            Thanks