Re: Seeking general advice on a 1996 900 Trophy.

  • Nick Baker private
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2013

      Hi Dean,

      I think what you need to look for in a Trophy to buy depends on your ability (and desire) to work on the bike yourself or your ability to fund work on the bike by a competent and trusted workshop. In any case you will have a lot easier time of it if the one you buy has been ‘looked after’ by previous owners. It needs to be a ‘runner’. Unless you plan on a complete strip down and rebuild if you can’t hear it start and run don’t go near it, and even if you can you would need to take if for a ride and make sure it gets up to temperature. Check oil level and colour, water level and colour – does it have antifreeze in it, etc., etc. You’d also need to see documentation (receipts, etc.) from previous work done. If it looks like a hack and has no documentation I wouldn’t touch it. A bike with a missing lower fairing (unless it was removed purely for aesthetic? reasons by a previous owner) and missing panniers doesn’t sound like it is one that has seen the best of care lavished upon it. A ’96 model is the first year the new shape (T309) model was made and potentially there is more likelihood that initial gremlins would have been taken out by Triumph on one a year or two younger (such as the alternator through-bolt modification).

      I have had my Trophy now for a couple of years. It is a ’97 900. The previous owner had looked after it and knew what he was doing. He also had many receipts from previous work since the bike was new even though it has had 7 previous owners. Despite all this I have had to do quite a bit of work on the bike and spent the second half of last summer unable to ride it because it just wouldn’t start. I admit to not having been truly focused on fixing it as I got married and moved house last August so had other priorities. I also recently had problems with it leaking water into the oil. A recent new battery, plugs and complete carb overhaul now sees it starting on the button and a compression check (OK thank goodness) and application of K-seal to the water system has cured the water leak. Yesterday in sunny weather here I went for a 40-mile test ride on it for the first time for about 8 months. I am looking forward to using it properly again over the spring and summer here but if I have more reliability issues I will think seriously about selling it for something else.

      Check out the FAQ’s section on this forum for more information. The Trophy is a finicky bike to own but has a character all its own and it fun to ride. I am not sure where you are located but forum members if nearby might be willing to take a look at it with you. Let me know if you in the south UK. Good luck.

      Cheers, Nick

    • a2
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 18, 2013
        Sorry about the snipping Ken... But always a pleasure to hear another point of view particularly when well constructed and detailed. And I concur that the FAQ does serve to focus a newbie and one of many suitable starting points.

        In the FAQ there is mention of a recall on an alternator bolt - best to check this has been done - wasn't done on mine...

        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

        > Hi Richard,
        > When a post goes on and on or I feel sleepy, I click the next button. So what if a

        Snip