Re: [TriumphTrophy] Mikuni question

  • Samuel Crider
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2013

      Greg,

      Carefully clean out all the micro passages with a small copper wire. It has to be able to conform to the odd angle turns inside the carb body. The only thing that I know that works is soft copper wire. Compressed air, super soaks, seafoam, whatever, won't dislodge the scale. I'd assume at least at first that the jets are hopefully unmolested.

      Samuel
      96 BBBB PB
      New Orleans

      On Feb 17, 2013 6:35 PM, "apsllp@..." <apsllp@...> wrote:

      Greg:

      Check out Www.jetsrus.com

      Get some new pilot jets of a known size.  A full set is less than $15 delivered.

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
        Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies. The pilot jet is very small so I think it hasn't been drilled. The air screw looks good and the little bitty o-ring is in good shape.

        Oh, by the way. TriumphWorld has good parts schematics, but one of them is wrong. Two of the pictures show no o-ring on the air screw, and the third one shows the o-ring in the wrong place. The o-ring goes down in the air screw hole first, then the washer, then the spring and then the air screw. My brother thinks of it in another way. He takes the air screw and first puts on the spring, the then washer, and then the o-ring. Same thing, the o-ring should be tight enough that the washer and spring won't slide off when putting in the air screw.

        I'll take a pass on using a small copper wire. I don't want to make scratches in the aluminum passages. The local auto parts sells a can of carb soak that is big enough to dip a single carb. I think Bob had good luck when he did this. Air will blow thru the necessary passages, and Samuel has a good point about scale build up. I hope the soak will knock off the any scale.

        While I was looking for a good diagram of the air passages I found that Mikuni has two different styles of pilot jets. I'll have to check that out. There is a nearby shop named Cafe Racer. They carry lots of carb jets and parts. Good folks. Lucky me, the local Triumph dealer, Engle Motors, are also good folks.

        Thanks again for the replies,
        Greg Andrews
        Kansas City

        Samuel Crider wrote:
        Carefully clean out all the micro passages with a small copper wire. Compressed air, super soaks, seafoam, whatever, won't dislodge the scale. I'd assume at least at first that the jets are hopefully unmolested.
        Samuel