Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Starting Issues

    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 5, 2013
      Thanks Greg and Glenn;
          At 90,000+ miles this starter has done some serious cranking if it's still the original one and I have no reason to think it's not. Something is obviously drawing too much voltage when a couple of volts corrects the problem. Paralleling two batteries or adding the jump start system doesn't get the job done. It HAS to be an increase in voltage and then she cranks right up. Very interested in the relay idea to power the coils during starting. My coils are at about 10.8V as well during starting.
           BTW: How difficult is it for a hack like me to replace the starter. Everything looks difficult the first time you do it! :-[  Starters seem plentiful on EBay.
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 2/5/2013 7:37 AM, slovcan wrote:
      I also meant to say and forgot, I agree with Greg (and you, Ed), a starter rebuild is also crucial. After all, hasn't your engine been started 2 million times by now? And not always easily.

      A recent post on my V4Honda site linked to an article about adding a relay to the circuit that powers the coils to provide a higher voltage to them during cranking. Currently being tested by a member there with GREAT instant start results. His voltage to the coils was 10.5 (down from 11.5 at the battery) and he never knew if it would start. Now it starts every time. I'll try to dig a little deeper, but I am sure our coil and ignition systems are virtually identical (in principal, anyway) to our old Honda V4's.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan"  wrote:

      Hi Ed,

      I know you said not to, BUT........WAHHH

      spring is in the air! Temp was up to 9* today for the 50 mile ride to work and only going down to 6* with rain and wind for the ride home tonight. How cold did you say it was there?

      Seriously, I think you did put that extra ground cable to the battery from the ground point under the seat, right? I used either #6 or #4 cable for mine and it absolutely made a difference for me.

      I also put a quick connect plug on my battery and on my 1 amp trickle charger so I can plug it in overnight every week or so. I do find after a week or so of riding with high beams and driving lights she cranks a bit slower than I like and the overnight trickle charge overnight fixes that. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/965/12314/ITEM/BikeMaster-Quick-Connect-Rings.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Quick%20Connect&WT.MC_ID=10010

      You should be able to get this at the auto parts store as well as the matching other side to connect to the charger. I put 1/4" blade terminals on the battery charger end so I can plug the alligator clips back onto the charger if I want for the car.

      Another thing I found effective (someone else here suggested this) is to turn the petcock to prime for 30 seconds or a minute while putting my helmet on. She does fire up quicker then. She was just off the road for a couple of weeks waiting for the throttle cable to come in and install. With the trickle charge and the prime she fired up almost instantle. I cranked once for maximum 1 second and stopped. Then cranked again and she started in less than a second.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      ------------------------------------

      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 15, 2013

        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
        On 2/14/2013 12:43 PM, ldwolfe@... wrote:
        Ed,
        Years ago, I switched my American right bar switches to European so the lights can be shut off without having to rely on the relay to do it for you. They can be had on eBay for a nominal fee.

        From: Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...>
        Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:46:36 -0500
        Subject: Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Starting Issues

        My Friend [who is the head of maintenance of the golf course where I work] Loaned me the SnapOn tool to check the battery and charging system on my bike. The battery passes the tests with flying colors but the charging system is just barely operational. That doesn't satisfy my quest for the voltage drop but it's a place to start. At least I can take the new battery back and spend my money on other things. :-D
        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
        On 2/13/2013 5:34 AM, Ed Johnson wrote:
        Good advice Nigel. I now have an extra starter and relay ready to install but I am concerned that I have a voltage drop BEFORE engaging the starter! I'm at 12.6 at the battery and 8.5 at the relay. I can cheat a little by pulling the fuse to the relay that shuts off the lights which then brings the voltage to 9.4 but of course that also removes the ground from the starting circuit so the bike doesn't turn over.
        Actually that should make it easier to find out where the loss is because it doesn't appear to be in the headlight circuit relay system but I'm still looking. :-\