Re: Should I service my valves myself?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi John and all,
      The other day I asked john if he had a drill, maybe I ought to explain. I made a tool that I used in my vertical mill, drill press okay also, to compress the valve spring so the retaining clips could be taken out. One of the reasons these engine last so long is it doesn't take much pressure to compress the valve springs. I could almost to it with my thumbs. I didn't want to rent a big clumsy auto valve removal tool. So I made one.
      How do other folks get the clips out? Oh, I did the valve lapping method with 2 valve compounds and a suction cup by hand, not machine.
      Greg Andrews

      "John F" wrote:
      I'm planning on cleaning up the head, pistons and valves myself.
      I'm inclined to do this myself but would really value your opinions.
    • Miles French
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
        Hi John
        You asked for our two pence worth and I was reminded of doing this job on a Lotus car engine a long time ago. One useful tool was ... a two pence piece... which I thought was made of soft copper so it wouldn't scratch the aluminium when I was scraping carbon deposits off the head. I don't think they are copper, but it didn't scratch the aluminium. I don't know if any of your coins are soft metal. Gold would be good... I lapped the valves by hand with a rubber suction cap on a wooden stick, rubbing it between mt palms as if I was trying to start a fire, but quite gently. It didn't take long. I think it would be too easy to overdo it with a drill.
        Good luck
        Miles BBBS 95