HID Lights!

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
          I know we've talked about this before but time marches on and improvements and better decisions are made constantly so what is the best HID conversion system these days for a Trophy 1200?
      --
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

    • Bryan Nill
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
        Ed,

        I have a pair of HID from CycleGear. H4 replacements at 6000K white. Have been flawless since install last winter.
        The only thing I did from the stock install is put them on a switched relay for power. List at $110 each, but more commonly found for half that.

        Theses are hi/lo bulbs. Light output is sufficient for me not to use my hi beams.

        Bryan Nill

        On Jan 27, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

            I know we've talked about this before but time marches on and improvements and better decisions are made constantly so what is the best HID conversion system these days for a Trophy 1200?

        --
        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

      • td02460
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
          Bryan,

          A buddy wanted to sell me the exact bulbs from CycleGear but I found the stock bulb retaining ring wouldn't work so I passed. How did you retain the HIDs in the assembly and were you able to get the rubber weather boot around it?

          Thanks,

          Tony D. '01 1200

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
            Thanks for the info Bryan. I bought a pair of these @ half price from Cycle Gear but ran into some problems installing them the way I wanted to without cutting any of the HID wires so took them back while I could. I also ran into the same problem as Tony with retaining the bulbs but maybe I'll have another go at them now that I have more experience under the hood of this beast. :-[
            On 1/28/2013 10:12 PM, td02460 wrote:
[...]

            List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

            Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • a2
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
              Did you guys realise that the bulb splits in half releasing the h4 plate and allowing the thin end of the wiring to go through the rubber?
              A2

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                Pardon the long drawn out answer but; NO!
                On 1/29/2013 4:00 PM, a2 wrote:
[...]

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                  I simply slotted the factory retaining ring.  Has been a nice upgrade to the stock lighting.

                  Bryan Nill

                  On Jan 29, 2013, at 3:00 PM, a2 <adeux60@...> wrote:

                  Did you guys realise that the bulb splits in half releasing the h4 plate and allowing the thin end of the wiring to go through the rubber?
                  A2

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Ed Johnson wrote:

                  > Thanks for the info Bryan. I bought a pair of these @ half price from
                  > Cycle Gear but ran into some problems installing them the way I wanted
                  > to without cutting any of the HID wires so took them back while I could.
                  > I also ran into the same problem as Tony with retaining the bulbs but
                  > maybe I'll have another go at them now that I have more experience under
                  > the hood of this beast. :-[
                  > *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
                  > On 1/28/2013 10:12 PM, td02460 wrote:
                  > > Bryan,
                  > >
                  > > A buddy wanted to sell me the exact bulbs from CycleGear but I found the stock bulb retaining ring wouldn't work so I passed. How did you retain the HIDs in the assembly and were you able to get the rubber weather boot around it?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Tony D. '01 1200
                  > >
                  > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Nill wrote:
                  > >> Ed,
                  > >>
                  > >> I have a pair of HID from CycleGear. H4 replacements at 6000K white. Have been flawless since install last winter.
                  > >> The only thing I did from the stock install is put them on a switched relay for power. List at $110 each, but more commonly found for half that.
                  > >>
                  > >> Theses are hi/lo bulbs. Light output is sufficient for me not to use my hi beams.
                  > >>
                  > >> Bryan Nill
                  > >> s1loki@

                  > > ------------------------------------
                  > >
                  > > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.
                  > >

                  > > Post message: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Subscribe: TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > >
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bryan Nill
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                    Tony,

                    Used a hacksaw and slotted the retaining ring, a real pain with the rubber though.
                    Bryan Nill

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                      After I pick my Trophy up from the tow company... I will take some pics. Long story is, I had a wreck the other night. The Trophy may or may not be back on the road. I will be though.  Gonna have to see just how bad she is.
                      Bryan Nill

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 30, 2013
                        Nearly did that then realised the bulb splits around a silicone washer in the middle
                        A2

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Nill wrote:

                        > Tony,
                        >
                        > Used a hacksaw and slotted the retaining ring, a real pain with the rubber though.
                        > Bryan Nill
                        > s1loki@...
                        >

                        > On Jan 28, 2013, at 9:12 PM, td02460 wrote:
                        >
                        > > Bryan,
                        > >
                        > > A buddy wanted to sell me the exact bulbs from CycleGear but I found the stock bulb retaining ring wouldn't work so I passed. How did you retain the HIDs in the assembly and were you able to get the rubber weather boot around it?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Tony D. '01 1200
                        > >
                        > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Nill wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Ed,
                        > > >
                        > > > I have a pair of HID from CycleGear. H4 replacements at 6000K white. Have been flawless since install last winter.
                        > > > The only thing I did from the stock install is put them on a switched relay for power. List at $110 each, but more commonly found for half that.
                        > > >
                        > > > Theses are hi/lo bulbs. Light output is sufficient for me not to use my hi beams.
                        > > >
                        > > > Bryan Nill
                        > > > s1loki@

                      • joan tabberer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2013
                          Mine are so long behind the holder that the solenoid holder sticks through the rubber.
                          I simply sharpened the end of a suitably sized tube and used it as a hole punch to make a large hole in the rubber so that the solenoid could stick through! :) Simples...

                          Joan

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 31, 2013
                            Ooooops! hope it wasn't something you didn't see at night!
                            :(
                            Joan

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 3, 2013
                              Slick road coupled with a couple of idiots. New apartment complex entrance involved also. Car in front of the car I hit, decided at the last moment to make a left across traffic.

                              On the gas till ya see God, then brake!!!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2013
                                Really sorry to hear that Bryan.
                                At least you came out of it Ok! the rest Was only your pride and joy :(
                                Hope you're back on two wheels soon. :)

                                My last Cardio Workout, was when I stopped for traffic lights, and the BIG WHITE VAN, behing me didn't...

                                He got bigger and Bigger and BIGGER in my rear view mirror, then BANG! and I was shunted straight into the road junction ahead of me.
                                Luckily the road was wet so I slid forward rather than got mounted by the big white whale... and I ended up, shiny sides up... with my heart banging it's way out of my chest...

                                but it's all right now... he said sorry...

                                and there was no obvious damage to the bike... he hit the rear tyre. square on... and that absorbed the potential damage.

                                Joan

                                Slick road coupled with a couple of idiots. New apartment complex entrance involved also. Car in front of the car I hit, decided at the last moment to make a left across traffic. On the gas till ya see God, then brake!!!

                                .
                              • Bryan Nill