Re: Debris in Fuel Tank

  • gordon2xbbb
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi All, hope you don't mind but if I could add my 'twopenneth worth' here - I do have some experience with Fuel Senders and Fuel Systems of this type from my 'Previous Lives'...

      The bit that rusts on the Sender Unit is the "junction" between the Sender base plate and the upright Bracket used to mount the Fuel Level Float Arm and Potentiometer Bobbin. These two pieces of metal are anodised or electro-plated with some sort of Cadmium alloy to be corrosion resistant. But once the two pieces are fused together by (possibly) spot welding the corrosion resistance of the bonded surfaces is diminished and the slow process of oxidisation takes hold once there is water in the mix.

      This is unavoidable with ethanol in the fuel but making sure the Fuel Tank Overflow/Drain Internal pipework and rubber hose are clear IS something we (the owners) CAN do something about.

      My own investigative work on Rusty Senders led me to dis-assemble the S.U., remove as much visible rust as possible from the base/bracket junction and treat the joint with a rust inhibitor. When I was satisfied that the oxidisation in this area had ceased I then primed the area with two coats of a rust-proof primer. Once dry (hot-air gun helps here) I gave the whole 'junction' area a generous coating of Blue Hylomar (Fuel/Oil and Ethanol Resistant Jointing Compound). This stuff never dries but once it had gone tacky I re-calibrated the S.U. to my MkII (Sharon) Fuel Gauge and then re-assembled the SU for use as a future spare - or when I decide to seal Sharons' Tank - which may be sooner rather than later..

      Getting a Sender from eBay is one idea but it will be 'used' and the oxidisation process will have already started. So it will require the sort of Maintenance or Repair I have described before it would be worthwhile using it in a Fuel Tank.
      A new Sender Unit is really not that expensive and even if that was the chosen route I would still 'do the preventative work first' before using it.

      I have several relevant photographs which I may very well post in Sharon and Traceys Album if you're not careful...you have been warned

      Cheers
      Gordon
      2xBBB
      Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

      > Hi Onesensible,
      > I waited to let Ed Johnson jump on this one. He has become the fuel tank master. At first I wondered where you were. Then I saw the word "whilst",U.K.
      >
      > So no sense in telling you there are 4 sender units available on ebay. How about ebay U.K.? The rust is from the sender unit rusting away.
      >
      > Take off the tank and pull the petcock, and fuel sender. You'll see the petcock has a very fine filter so the adding more filters are not necessary. I had an additional filter and it just created problems. Keep the fuel sender base to fill the hole where the sender goes. Then when a good deal on a sender comes along then go for it. When my speedo gets to 200 miles it is time to fill the tank.
      >
      > I'm curious about your bike having two fuel lines. So the U.K. 900's kept the Mikuni's and didn't switch to Keihin's?
      > Have fun when your project. It's an easy one.
      > Greg Andrews
      >
      > "onesensible" wrote:
      > My float sender unit is not working and after a more careful inspection it seems there is no float in the tank. Whilst fishing around in the tank with a magnetic pick up tool, I noticed metal filings and debris in there. I cannot see a fuel filter on the Trophy. Does it have one ? Whilst peering into the fuel filler I can see something in there which may filter the fuel before it arrives at the fuel tap.
      > I was thinking of fitting a fuel filter or rather two, as there are two fuel pipes from the fuel tap.
      > Happy New Year. :)

    • a2 - inoperative emessages
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
        I replaced my sender with New - its a cheap component....Do I need to seal it now then Gordon. Maybe it's where all my noises are coming from?

        Happy New Year to you all - you miserable old sods.

        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > I'm curious about your bike having two fuel lines. So the U.K. 900's kept the Mikuni's and didn't switch to Keihin's?
        > > Have fun when your project. It's an easy one.
        > > Greg Andrews
        > >
        > > "onesensible" wrote:
        > > My float sender unit is not working and after a more careful inspection it seems there is no float in the tank. Whilst fishing around in the tank with a magnetic pick up tool, I noticed metal filings and debris in there. I cannot see a fuel filter on the Trophy. Does it have one ? Whilst peering into the fuel filler I can see something in there which may filter the fuel before it arrives at the fuel tap.
        > > I was thinking of fitting a fuel filter or rather two, as there are two fuel pipes from the fuel tap.

      • gordon2xbbb
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
          Hi A2,

          Sealing your Sender before you fitted it would have been a good idea but it can't be helped now. Unless of course, you have a spare or two which could 'be sorted' by some kindly artisan when they have a bit more time on their hands than you do...

          I've no idea how long it takes for the corrosion to set in but I'd have thought you've got a couple of years before it really takes hold and becomes a problem. Keeping the Filler Neck dry where possible and keeping the Overflow/vent tube 'open' should keep water in the fuel down to a minimum...

          As for 'all your noises' - well I hope you know where they come from by now. Only time will tell whether you were right to re-build the engine from Scary Mary quite so quickly....

          Miserable old sod? I resemble that remark!!

          Cheers
          Gordon
          2xBBB
          Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2 - inoperative emessages" <adeux60@...> wrote:

          > I replaced my sender with New - its a cheap component....Do I need to seal it now then Gordon. Maybe it's where all my noises are coming from?
          >

          > Happy New Year to you all - you miserable old sods.
          >
          > A2
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
            Hi A2, How is the rebuild coming along? I saw the video where you were trying to start it, but it didn't start.

            As for noises did you replace the rubber cushions on the alternator drive? When the rubber cushions go bad it sounds like a connecting rod is knocking.

            Did I read it right, you were thinking of taking off the Mikunis and putting on Keihins? They use different rubber boots coming off the heads. The Mikunis have that top end rush from 7,000 rpm's to 9,500. The Keihins are a little more civilized.
            Happy New Year,
            Greg Andrews

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
              I have put a lot of hours in and struggled with the weather too. first dry day in ages today and managed to build up some enthusiasm. the engine starts and although the Keihins fitted they bogged just above tickover (seeing as the donor had an airbox fire I need to spend more time on them) so the mikunis are back in and a few more revs apparent.

              Turned out that I missed the sprag clutch bolt fail as I didnt realise there is a bolt at both ends till i took it apart. the rubbers are ok and the lot is bolted back together the old way - Triumph are shut so I will look at the official upgrade but it will do for now.

              just about getting to the point of tightening everything back into the frame to discover at a very late stage that I have up and down play in my rear suspension. Startled....Turns out that the seized rear end of the donor bike was in better condition than my greased up rear end. wont last forever but it will do
              A2

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2013
                Happy New Year to you too Greg. I had the wife barking instructions in my ear so I didnt get to top and tail my message properly. Thanks too for enquiring.

                A2

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                  I asked as I have to go in again as I tried to adjust it following your advice - I now run out of fuel at half a tank.....

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" wrote:

                  > Hi A2,
                  >
                  > Sealing your Sender before you fitted it would have been a good idea but it can't be helped now. Unless of course, you have a spare or two which could 'be sorted' by some kindly artisan when they have a bit more time on their hands than you do...
                  >
                  > I've no idea how long it takes for the corrosion to set in but I'd have thought you've got a couple of years before it really takes hold and becomes a problem. Keeping the Filler Neck dry where possible and keeping the Overflow/vent tube 'open' should keep water in the fuel down to a minimum...
                  >
                  > As for 'all your noises' - well I hope you know where they come from by now. Only time will tell whether you were right to re-build the engine from Scary Mary quite so quickly....
                  >
                  > Miserable old sod? I resemble that remark!!
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Gordon
                  > 2xBBB
                  > Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
                  >
                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2 - inoperative emessages" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I replaced my sender with New - its a cheap component....Do I need to seal it now then Gordon. Maybe it's where all my noises are coming from?
                  > >

                  > > Happy New Year to you all - you miserable old sods.
                  > >
                  > > A2

                • gordon2xbbb
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                    Well that sorts out the 1/4 Tank Syndrome doesn't it...Do you mean that the Gauge now indicates EMPTY with half a tankful in there

                    If you had followed the 'Advice' I gave on the fb posting there shouldn't be a problem, really. Must be something I missed or you're doing wrong through mis-understanding my instructions. I'll try and find it and go over it again, just to make sure..

                    Contact me "off-piste" if you would like to hear my third option..