Re: [TriumphTrophy] First time Post & First time bike drop, what is T312?

  • Bryan Nill
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
    Got to ask this. Have you tried a dealership nearby? With that price and shipping from the UK the cost will be close to sourcing through a dealer. Plus you can probably get it already color matched.

    T312 = Trophy 1200

    attached is a MS Word file you may find useful.
  • Greg
    Message 2 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
      Hi Misha, Welcome to the club of dropped Trophy owners. The front turn signal always looses. The indicator housing is all the same from 1996 and newer. 900&1200 the same. Front is the same as the rear. The rear has an additional base plate. Left,right the same.
      Bike Bandit can get the part, but will charge the dealer rate plus shipping. $60 Your local dealer can order it if it isn't in stock. Might as well get to know them. A&S Powersport in your town, also there is a dealer in Livermore.
      Greg Andrews
      '96 900 BRG
      93,000 smiles

      "mishaioffe" wrote:
      This is the first time I have dropped a Motorcycle... I need to replace this ASAP... I am not sure what T312 means? is this just indicating the model-year-range? Do you know if this part will fit on my bike? and is this a good price?
      I live in the capitol Sacramento and visit the Bay area and Lake Tahoe frequently.
    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 3 of 9 , Nov 16, 2012
        Hi Misha,

        Any Dealer worth his salt will know that, when ordering 'Coloured Parts' especially from Triumph, you will need to quote the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) or Chassis/Frame Number - this gives rise to the Correct Colour, as recorded at Triumph HQ.

        Also, looking at an on-line Illustrated Parts List (such as BikeBandit) will also give you ALL the alternative colours available for that part - you just gotta pick the right one.
        Personally, I went through a Triumph Dealer and got the right colour first time - but it is surprising how many of the colours have similar shades...even British Racing Green is not immune !!

        Oh, and welcome to the Whoops Club!

        Hope this helps

        Gordon
        2xBBB
        Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Nill <s1loki@...> wrote:

        > Got to ask this. Have you tried a dealership nearby? With that price and shipping from the UK the cost will be close to sourcing through a dealer. Plus you can probably get it already color matched.
        >
        > T312 = Trophy 1200
        >
        > attached is a MS Word file you may find useful.
        >
        > Bryan Nill
        > s1loki@...
        >

        > On Nov 15, 2012, at 12:26 PM, "mishaioffe" <mishaioffe@...> wrote:
        >
        > > 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 millage: 27K
        > > Color: sand/pewter
        > > Upgrades: Corbin Seat
        > > Second owner
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > My name is Misha and live in California, I am 25 years old and have been riding since I was 18. This is my first post, And I appreciate your input.
      • JohnM
        Message 4 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
          Hi Misha

          Don't feel too bad. There are those that have and there are those that will lay down their Trophy. It's just the nature of the beast. Of course the poor front blinkers are the very first thing to hit the tar and pop like little fragile eggs. They then dangle pathetically and refuse to let go which is very brave of them. They do a good job of protecting the faring of a 260 Kg bike actually. I'm impressed.

          I, as I'm sure many others, have become quite adept at creatively glueing humpty back together again and making them look like new (if you squint from a distance).

          I actually ordered two brand new items from Triumph in UK of the original colour (Pacific Blue) but I haven't been game enough to actually put them on. I wait for the day in years to come when they will be worth more than the bike as a collectors item because there will be no known examples left.

          When I have no more plastic to glue together I might put a new one on

          Until then I find QBond (basicaly Super Glue with a reinforcing resin powder) is the best solution.

          Regards
          JohnM

          > This is the first time I have dropped a Motorcycle.

        • a2 - inoperative emessages
          Message 5 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
            T312 stands for the levels of terseness you will endure as you drop it

            we too are at level 312 - well done
            A2

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2 - inoperative emessages" <adeux60@...> wrote:

            > thats the one but looks as expensive as a new one.
            >
            > You should buy them in twos as you will drop the bike again - most collect the bits and stick or tape them back on.
            >
            > A2
            >

            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "mishaioffe" <mishaioffe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 millage: 27K
            > > Color: sand/pewter
            > > Upgrades: Corbin Seat
            > > Second owner
            > >

            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > My name is Misha and live in California, I am 25 years old and have been riding since I was 18. This is my first post, And I appreciate your input.
            > >
            > > While I was pulling back out of my buddy's driveway (very steep grade), and was forced to drop the rear tire to street from the drive way in a awkward angle since I was in between two parked cars. as I backed out my rear tire was lower than my front by just enough so that i could not touch the floor on either side with my feet, the bike leaned left, i planted my foot, tried to hold it in attempt to get it upright, it was a NO-GO I could not lean it back since the weight was too much for me and at that point I was forced to drop the bike! :(
            > >
            > > This is the first time I have dropped a Motorcycle. I quickly shut off the engine and attempted to lift the bike....HA! also a NO-GO... I ran into the house, grabbed my buddy and got him to help. bike was upright, started up fine, I rode it home and haven't touched it since.
            > >
            > > The left faring was slightly scratched, as well as the left saddle storage box, but the only thing I can see that's broke is the left front indicator, the entire housing broke and all I see now are the two wires hanging out. I need to replace this ASAP. I found a part Ebay but I am not sure what T312 means? is this just indicating the model-year-range?
            > >
            > > Do you know if this part will fit on my bike? and is this a good price?
            > >
            > > Ebay Link:
            > > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32736-Triumph-T312-1200-Trophy-1998-Front-Indicator-/350614851310?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item51a2460eee
            > >

            > > Again,
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help in advanced. I'll try and post a pic of my bike...before the drop :)
            > >
            > > BTW, are there any Triumph clubs you guys know of in CA? I live in the capitol Sacramento and visit the Bay area and Lake Tahoe frequently.

          • Miles French
            Message 6 of 9 , Nov 21, 2012
              Mine gets knocked over regularly when parked...(OK, I dropped it once, or twice), and, as well as the indicator, the front brake lever always snaps or gets bent. I ride round with a flappy indicator as I find that replacing it is an invitation for the bike to get knocked over again that very night. I used rubber bands to hold it together until they perished, and now have a cable-tie on there. Works great.
              Miles 95BBB
            • Andy Ringrose
              Message 7 of 9 , Nov 21, 2012
                I believe T312 means triumph 1200 3 series and T309 is Triumph 900 series 3

                Sent from my iPad