Re: Update on John F's 96 1200 Motor Diagnosis

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hi John, 4 years ago my brother and I swap out an engine on his '95 900. We lowered the engine from the frame and lifted the replacement in. We had an awful time doing it. There wasn't enough room with the lift under the engine.
      A year later, with no help, I was taking out the replacement engine and putting the original engine back in the frame by myself. Then putting the placement engine into a Sprint Executive I was building from parts I acquired over the years.

      The way I did myself:
      I built a strong box to support the engine and slid it under the engine to hold it without it wobbling. I took off the back wheel, loosened the swing arm pivot (it is tight up against the support plates), and took out the bolts that held the engine in place. I then lifted the bike frame up and over the engine and rolled it forward. It is not that heavy to lift without the engine and back wheel.
      Hope this helps,
      Greg Andrews

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John F" <mailman93060@...> wrote:

      > I got everything out of my way and will drop the oil pan / remove the sump starting at noon central time on Sunday, Nov 4. Bones is coming over to help me do this right. The motor is still in the frame. I want to see how bad things are before pulling it out of the frame. I'll take pictures of the motor and any bits that come spilling out. I'm also going to pull the valve cover and have a look in there.
      >
      > I posted a new photo album. Right now there's just four pictures of the mostly naked bike. Haven't pulled the carbs and air box off yet. But all the plastic, the fuel tank, seat, battery, the oil cooler, and the exhaust are all out of the way.
      >
      > By the way, the gas tank is clean like new. This tank has never had any problems with rust or sediment. I mean there's just not a trace. As far as I can tell, it's just about always run premium fuel. Since ethanol has polluted the gas supply chain, I've been dumping in Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment. Everything looks perfect in the tank and fuel selector thingamabob. That's pretty amazing since this gas is now 14 months old. The fuel lines are a bit long in the tooth, so I'm replacing all of those as well as the vacuum lines, assuming I can fix the motor. Actually, the long list of things I'll do to the Big Green Beast keeps growing. Going to clean her up real good, new Hagon rear shock, and I'll just keep going. Very excited to think about getting more speeding tickets on the old girl.
      >
      > Stay tuned for the gory details...
      >
      > John F
      > Now St Paul, MN
      > 96 Trophy 1200 BRG
      > 56,750 miles
      >
      > 12 Bonneville T-100
      > 7,950 miles

    • a2 - inoperative emessages
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
        just got a 900 out of the frame today - glad it wasnt a 1200...
        heavy brute

        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John F" <mailman93060@...> wrote:

        > I got everything out of my way and will drop the oil pan / remove the sump starting at noon central time on Sunday, Nov 4. Bones is coming over to help me do this right. The motor is still in the frame. I want to see how bad things are before pulling it out of the frame. I'll take pictures of the motor and any bits that come spilling out. I'm also going to pull the valve cover and have a look in there.
        >
        > I posted a new photo album. Right now there's just four pictures of the mostly naked bike. Haven't pulled the carbs and air box off yet. But all the plastic, the fuel tank, seat, battery, the oil cooler, and the exhaust are all out of the way.
        >
        > By the way, the gas tank is clean like new. This tank has never had any problems with rust or sediment. I mean there's just not a trace. As far as I can tell, it's just about always run premium fuel. Since ethanol has polluted the gas supply chain, I've been dumping in Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment. Everything looks perfect in the tank and fuel selector thingamabob. That's pretty amazing since this gas is now 14 months old. The fuel lines are a bit long in the tooth, so I'm replacing all of those as well as the vacuum lines, assuming I can fix the motor. Actually, the long list of things I'll do to the Big Green Beast keeps growing. Going to clean her up real good, new Hagon rear shock, and I'll just keep going. Very excited to think about getting more speeding tickets on the old girl.
        >
        > Stay tuned for the gory details...
        >
        > John F
        > Now St Paul, MN
        > 96 Trophy 1200 BRG