New Trophy Launched...

  • gordon4046
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
      Hello All,

      Attended the launch at my local dealers (Performance Triumph, Cheltenham) last evening. Left Sharon outside in the rain and awaited the big event....

      It IS BEAUTIFULLY FINISHED I'll say that for it...the one we had was a Special Launch Edition with all the toys, retailing at about £15,000 (though to be fair you can pick up the Basic Model for just over £12K).

      I'm banishing all thoughts about how much things will cost should someone 'drop one' a la our beloved Trophies. Sorting out the CofG on the new model will help a lot I'm sure.

      Nice touches include rubberised bump or wear strips on the outside of the mirror/indicator pods.

      Most people seemed to be very impressed with the operation of the Adjustable Windscreen.

      My TEST RIDE is already booked for 'Any Wednesday' so we will have to wait and see. I'm in no rush, let actual buyers have first call.

      Is it true that you Guys in the US can't get Test Rides?
      Find that hard to believe but it seemed to be the buzz last evening. Here in the UK we just turn up with both parts of our Full Licence, sign a waiver meaning we'll pay the first £1,000 of any damage deemed to be 'Rider Error' and away we go...

      Oh, BTW - Sharon got an 'Honourable Mention' being the only Hinckley Trophy at the gig last night and more than one person said how good she looked (for her age). Well, it was dark etc.
      Might just take her out again in a while...see if we can't get her even dirtier (more rain expected)

      Cheers for now
      Gordon
      2xBBB
      Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
    • Ken Hastie
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
        Funnily enough, I was the only Trophy at the Newcastle launch last night as
        well. There were any number of Jap bike owners and a couple of Rocket
        Threes.

        I too was impressed by the look of the bike and its features but I couldn’t
        afford the asking price (unless I sell the yacht - which is unlikely).
        Yachting is a safer activity for me, despite the positions I find myself in
        - see:

        http://www.hastie.org.uk/temp/Heeling.jpg

        Some visitors couldn't even get their leg over the bike and left rubber boot
        marks on the panniers. The panniers and top box are impressive with their
        damped mounts and I particularly like the way everything locks when you
        remove the ignition key. The top box is extra by the way so I guess you
        need to add another £400 or £500.

        This bike is wide and it struck me that I couldn’t have split lanes as I did
        on the M1 on the way to Derby. My own Trophy was close at times, but the
        new one must be another 4 or 5 inches wider at each side.

        I talked to the local RAT guy who had been asked to test ride her the day
        before. He collected the bike with 2 miles on the odo so was careful. He put
        in 200 miles down to Scotch Corner and Hawes and said he was impressed by
        the smoothness of the throttle and suspension.

        If I had tons of dosh I would buy one, but I have no disappointment
        whatsoever in keeping my own lovely Trophy.

        I did chuckle at the efforts of some people to get the new Trophy off the
        centre stand. That task was so daunting that the RAT guy didn’t even
        attempt it while he was out on his run.

        My own Trophy seemed to attract almost similar attention as people left
        Triumph Newcastle.

        We had soup and hot dogs; I was expecting champers 8-)

        The braking system seemed quite innovative. A press on the rear brake pedal
        applied the rear brake as well two pistons on the right hand side of the
        front brake, EXCEPT at low speed when it only activated the rear brake.
        Clever stuff - and usually expensive if it ever goes wrong 8-)

        Ken Hastie
        Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
        and D14 Bantams

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
          Hi Gordon,
          I don't think anybody wanting to test hop a new Triumph, if the
          dealer has that model in house. I haven't done it in a while now, but
          two years ago I went out and rode everything with two cylinders, and
          never got told No, by any shop I asked. I think maybe the Motor
          Company outlets disallow test rides because the demand is so high
          they can be gilded Arse Holes they've become in the last fifty years.
          I think if the shop owner senses that you are ready to buy what you
          want to ride, or he's known you for a while, you'll get the ride you
          want. Also some shops don't own their inventory, and business had the
          Lads scratching out just a fraction of what it takes to stay in
          business without new bike sales, I think some of the dealers couldn't
          allow test rides. The risk was too great! The pictures of your recent
          gathering over there were great. It's so neat to have a face to go
          with the name. You are certainly a good looking bunch. I wish I could
          have been there!
          On Nov 2, 2012, at 5:32 AM, gordon4046 wrote:

          > Hello All,
          > Cheers for now
          > Gordon
          > 2xBBB
          > Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

        • a2 - inoperative emessages
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
            Well although we would love to have you over (we know what you can do with a 1200 so we would find you a 125) what about some pictures of your camping trip?
            A2

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gordon,
            > I don't think anybody wanting to test hop a new Triumph, if the
            > dealer has that model in house. I haven't done it in a while now, but
            > two years ago I went out and rode everything with two cylinders, and
            > never got told No, by any shop I asked. I think maybe the Motor
            > Company outlets disallow test rides because the demand is so high
            > they can be gilded Arse Holes they've become in the last fifty years.
            > I think if the shop owner senses that you are ready to buy what you
            > want to ride, or he's known you for a while, you'll get the ride you
            > want. Also some shops don't own their inventory, and business had the
            > Lads scratching out just a fraction of what it takes to stay in
            > business without new bike sales, I think some of the dealers couldn't
            > allow test rides. The risk was too great! The pictures of your recent
            > gathering over there were great. It's so neat to have a face to go
            > with the name. You are certainly a good looking bunch. I wish I could
            > have been there!
            > Kindest regards,
            > Poppa Jack
            > On Nov 2, 2012, at 5:32 AM, gordon4046 wrote:
            >
            > > Hello All,
            > > Cheers for now
            > > Gordon
            > > 2xBBB
            > > Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

          • Kevin W. Dix
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
              Nah, here in NYS we can usually get test rides, it often depends upon the
              dealer's view of having them. And if you happen to attend a venue like
              Americade then just about all the marques have test rides for everyone
              licensed. KWD