Re: top box removal

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2012
      No such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers. After you turn the key you have to pull straight back on the handle below the key about 2 or 3 inches, then lift up the back with that handle, stow that handle, slide the case forward about an inch and lift off. Be careful, it is heavier than you think even when it's empty.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mojojojo748@...> wrote:

      > OK - stupid question. I can't seem to get the top box off my 2000 Trophy 1200. I have unlocked the key (counter clockwise) but the top box doesnt seem to budge. I've lifted, pushed, pulled, etc. and it seems to me glued on. What's the trick? Thanks.

    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
        Glenn -

        thanks much! I had no idea there was a handle underneath the lock. It seemed to be sping loaded but once I gave it a good pull it came loose and off just as you described. Any yes, heavier than one would think. Thanks again!

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
          If it makes you feel any better; The previous owner of my bike
          bought it new off the show room floor. After Buying it I wanted to
          trailer it home and in my mind wanted to remove side bags and top bag.
          He had NO IDEA how to remove either one! My brother and a friend [not
          that my brother is not my friend(;-)] figured it out and when they got
          them off he said; " I had no idea they even came off much less how to
          get them off!] This is man that put 90,000 miles on my 2001 Trophy 1200!
          Speaks volumes if you know where to look for positives.
          Regards
          *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
          On 9/1/2012 8:13 AM, John wrote:
          > Glenn -
          >
          > thanks much! I had no idea there was a handle underneath the lock. It seemed to be sping loaded but once I gave it a good pull it came loose and off just as you described. Any yes, heavier than one would think. Thanks again!
          >
          > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:
          >> No such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers. After you turn the key you have to pull straight back on the handle below the key about 2 or 3 inches, then lift up the back with that handle, stow that handle, slide the case forward about an inch and lift off. Be careful, it is heavier than you think even when it's empty.
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> Glenn
          >>
          >> --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John" <mojojojo748@> wrote:
          >>> OK - stupid question. I can't seem to get the top box off my 2000 Trophy 1200. I have unlocked the key (counter clockwise) but the top box doesnt seem to budge. I've lifted, pushed, pulled, etc. and it seems to me glued on. What's the trick? Thanks.
          >>>

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
            Hi Ed, No wonder your bike has had so many problems.
            This guy didn't know Jack Shit when it came to maintaining his bike. The dealer might have serviced it for the first few times then he quit taking it to the dealer because it costs too much for the servicing. Lots of dealers won't service a bike over 7 years old. The repair cost can be more than what the bike is worth.
            Greg Andrews
            '96 900 BRG
            almost 93,000 smiles

            If it makes you feel any better; The previous owner of my bike bought it new off the show room floor. After Buying it I wanted to trailer it home and in my mind wanted to remove side bags and top bag. He had NO IDEA how to remove either one! This is man that put 90,000 miles on my 2001 Trophy 1200!
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
              I understand what you are saying Greg but this guy is an architect
              with a ton of money! What ever they told him it needed he just said "Do
              It!" What disappoints me with the trade is that they had this
              opportunity to properly maintain a piece of equipment for a
              professional in another trade and they chose to just "slop pool" their
              way through it! I related the story to him as well and he is happy that
              I've made his "Baby" back into the machine it was when he bought it! He
              didn't care what it cost! He just wanted it RIGHT! It's just a shame
              that there isn't more "CRAFTSMEN" who pride their workmanship first and
              let the $ take care of itself. [Showing my age aren't I?(;-)]