Test rode a Moto Guzzi Griso today

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2012
      As the title says, I have been thinking about a different bike, there is a very nice MG Griso 2 valve version for sale nearby my house. I rode the Trophy over there and took her for a spin. Now I am not a moto journalist so I will do my best to pass the the information on as best I can.
      First impressions were the the Griso is light and has a low center go gravity. Position is a bit more leaned over than a Trophy but not by much.

      Power was good, but a well running Trophy BBBB will be faster pretty much all the way through the revs. Brakes, were very good, when compared to the Trophy. But that is my only recent reference point except a GS650 which is lighter and has much less power.

      Handling, the Griso goes anywhere you want it to, the difference in handling was massive. the Trophy felt sluggish in comparison.

      The lack of a fairing on the Griso was more noticeable than I would have thought. At times it was refreshing but at about 85+ it may not be as fun, and was not;-)

      Now on to the intangibles the Griso has a very different look kind of a cross between a Buell and a Vrod. The engine has a torque effect that you will feel, I found it took bit of time to ride smoothly. The connection between the drivetrain and the ride is very direct, the rear wheel will chirp if you downshift too late. No biggie but different and probably all shaft bikes do this to some extent. The engine delivers very linear power, much like our trophies but not as much power down low as the trophy. The Griso likes to be at 3000+rpm

      Long distance will be easier on the Trophy based on the protection from the wind that the Trophy provides. Yes you can put a windshield on the Griso but that is kind of like letting a hooker wear your hat, why??? it just ruins the whole package.

      The dashboard instrument panel on the Griso is so much better than the Trophy that I cannot properly comment on it. Everything is readable including turn signal indicators.

      In summary the Griso was very easy to ride, in pretty much in any manner that you wanted, aggressive or not. So is the Trophy for that matter but the Trophy is a more difficult to flick around. The dash is much better. The styling is very different, but so is the trophy in a different way. Would I trade one for the other probably not, would I own both; probably. Will I ? I don't know yet I have to sleep on it.