Re: Headlight issues

  • a2 - inoperative emessages
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2012
      I think I did something similar except I find that there are two types of relay and it is random what you will get if you go into a store unless they have both types. The important point is the schematic on the relay as well as the pin layout.

      Someone did publish the exact equivalent. But in my haste I just released the pins out of the bike plug and rearranged them so they matched the schematics. Easy enough as you will have

      Low amps
      relay plus (signal from switch)
      Relay neg

      higher amps
      Power
      Earth or ground

      Also if you do this buy a spare relay or two that matches the bike or arrangent you have settled on and store them in the headlight - orientated so as not to fill with water too.

      A2

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "rick" <rhartwick@...> wrote:

      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "haleys55" <scotthaley623@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all, can anyone help me with this. Both my low beams went out at the same time I'm assuming its a relay not a bulb problem. Is that correct?
      >
      > Scott,
      >
      > Everyone's advice is correct, except that the normal relays you can buy in any parts store in the US won't work, even though they are physically the same. They are wired differently internally.
      >
      > Someone had posted a detailed description of this problem a year or two ago, and described in detail how to re-arrange the wires coming into the relay so the more common relay would work. Anyone remember that? If anyone can find it, it is probably worth putting into the FAQ or files section.
      >
      > Rather than remove the side fairing for these types of repairs, I just remove the fairing nose. It is easy and quick to do, and will give you full access to all the electricals. Just have a nice soft old blanket ready on the bench to lay the nose on once removed, and pad the front fended with cloth when putting it back on, as you will need to hold it with your knees and the fender while re-attaching the wires.

    • cdm
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2012
        I had this same problem. After a replacement pair also burned out, I found that the voltage regulator was bad. Alternator was putting out 20V at half throttle. Check yours before you change the relay.

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "haleys55" <scotthaley623@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, can anyone help me with this. Both my low beams went out at the same time I'm assuming its a relay not a bulb problem. Is that correct?
      • JackM
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2012
          All,
          I was able to use the regular Wells brand relay sold at Napa auto parts stores. I did have to switch the positions on the brown wire with the blue/orange wire, but it was easy. Use Wells relay part # 19878. Same part and same wire swap for both the high and low beam circuits. Did it about a year and a half ago, all is fine.

          That said, I could not find a suitable replacement for "load change" or "changeover" relay (the one that shuts off headlights while cranking the starter), so had to buy the original from Bike Bandit, but it was reasonably priced.

          For reference, my bike is a 2001 BBBS. Pacific Blue, naturally, because no other color works as well anywhere west of the Rockies. :)
          Jack
          Placerville, CA
          (Hangtown USA)

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2012
            Jack we don't have those fitted in uk but it could be useful - I guess it is 5 pin with an always on option switched off from the starter feed....hmm could be useful on the fogs.

            A2