Radio for 1200 Trophy

  • wongabandit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hello,
      I've just joined this group and am enquiring if any has fitted a
      radio / cd system to their bike. I use my bike every day (thank you
      lord!)and am now geeting fed up of singing to myself. In order to
      rectify this im looking to fit a radio / cd system. I have the
      Triumph back box and hopefully could fit it in there? I have asked
      the local bike shops
      and all they tell me is to buy a Goldwing Kit, around £300!! I would
      appreciate
      any ideas or help on this. Cheers
      Marsden
    • Mark Sandstrom
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
        Marsen,

        I'm new to the list. I don't even own a Trophy ... yet.<G> I've been looking
        at them and joined the group here to get wisdom and insight into the bike
        and see if that is the way I want to go.

        I currently ride a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast. A number of PC riders I know
        have installed a Sony Cassette receiver with a _wired_ remote. The radio
        fits in the trunk of the bike (yes, PC's have trunks!<G>), and the wired
        remote mounts on top of the clutch reservoir.

        Here are some pics:
        http://members.nbci.com/hsattin/images/stereo.jpg
        http://members.nbci.com/hsattin/images/dashl.jpg

        I would imagine that some thing similar can be done with the trophy.

        Me? I currently use just a AM/FM/CD walkman. Works for me.

        Cheers,
        Mark

        Mark R. Sandstrom -- Glendora, CA -- ICQ #410970 -- KF6VXM
        http://www.jps.net/marksand/ http://www.jps.net/marksand/church
        http://www.calodges.org/no334 http://go.compuserve.com/masonry/

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
          Marsen,

          As a follow-up, be advised that if you choose a Sony CD receiver, it will
          only play CDs in a horizontal position, not vertical. I understand that
          Blaupunkt CD receivers will play in a vertical position. Blaupunkt also has
          some units that have wired remotes.

          Cheers,
          Mark

          Mark R. Sandstrom -- Glendora, CA -- ICQ #410970 -- KF6VXM
          http://www.jps.net/marksand/ http://www.jps.net/marksand/church
          http://www.calodges.org/no334 http://go.compuserve.com/masonry/

        • Ken Hastie
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2001
            On 2 Sep 01 at 19:23, wongabandit@... wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I've just joined this group and am enquiring if any has fitted a
            > radio / cd system to their bike.

            I remember somebody doing it. They fitted the unit in the top box.
            Search the archives and you should find something there. I seem to
            also recall someone fitting a marine (waterproof CD/radio) as well.

            Ken the Geordie e-mail:ken@...
            BSA A75, A65, A10, B40, D7, D14, D1, Trophy 1200
          • John Norton
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
              > cd system to their bike.<
              I have a portable CB for my Trophy with a mounted antenna. CB attaches to my
              tank bag and I have a quick release antenna so when I am not on a trip I can
              take the antenna off. I an take an adapter for a portable radio but can't
              use the cb and radio at the same time.
              jn
            • GIVEY
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2001
                --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., wongabandit@a... wrote:
                > Hello,
                > I've just joined this group and am enquiring if any has fitted a
                > radio / cd system to their bike. I use my bike every day (thank you
                > lord!)and am now geeting fed up of singing to myself. In order to
                > rectify this im looking to fit a radio / cd system. I have the
                > Triumph back box and hopefully could fit it in there? I have asked
                > the local bike shops
                > and all they tell me is to buy a Goldwing Kit, around £300!! I
                would
                > appreciate
                > any ideas or help on this. Cheers
                > Marsden

                I have Kaw Concours and had the same problem. I did not want to
                sacrifice bag space so I mounted a JVC car radio/cd player in a tank
                bag with a wireless remote. So far, so good(about a year's use.) I
                get a little skipping on bumpy rds but switch to the radio for these
                and use the CD on superslab trips. Make sure your tank bag comes with
                a rain cover.