RE: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Seafoam????????????

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
      Mark;
      I had similar problems that you had when I first got my bike. What I
      did was siphon all the fuel out of the tank and found that the bottom gas
      was loaded with water, rust, and chucks of I don't know what all. My next
      move was to remove the tank and clean it. It's not easy but it's not brain
      surgery either. I removed the petcock and fuel gauge sending unit. I taped
      over the openings with some aluminum roofing tape and then some duct tape
      over that just to make sure they were sealed. I then poured some sheet metal
      screws and a quart of acetone into the tank and shook it turning it every
      which way I could to dislodge all the loose pieces of crud inside the tank.
      I then poured the mixture back out and let the tank dry. [ Be very careful
      with the acetone as it will remove the paint. Lacquer thinner is a little
      safer but it will also remove paint.] While the tank was drying I very
      carefully disassembled the fuel gauge sending unit by bending the little
      tabs over that hold the cover in place. I cleaned all the rust out of there
      with WD40 and put it back together before replacing the petcock and
      remounting the tank.
      My next project is to repeat all of the above again and then seal
      the tank with Caswell as I had a recent problem with clogged low speed jets.
      Seafoam + Startron cleared up my problem this time so this project doesn't
      seem to require any urgency. None of these cleaners will remove rust or dirt
      particles that are in your fuel tank. It HAS to be done manually. They will
      only removed the varnish etc. caused by the ethanol in the fuel.
      Before replacing the tank I'd replace all of the fuel lines with new
      stuff and remove the little inline filters that the factory placed in the
      lines. I'd also install at least one inline filter and use 3/16" fuel line
      for the vacuum line. Be very careful routing them all so there are no kinks.

      HTH

      Ed J.
      2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
      1964 Bonneville TT Special
      Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
      Cell - 321/795-4387

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
        Mark, You have probably allowed a small amount of water into your carbs from the bottom of your tank where it gathers as petrol floats on it. If you never normally use reserve then until you get a lot of water in your tank, the issue wont become apparent. My own trophy ran home from Buxton in Derbyshire all the way back to Bude in Devon with hardly a cough but over a gallon of water in the tank!!!! Only became a BIG problem when I turned to reserve and all four carbs filled with water. Sounds to me like there was only a small amount in your tank and if you run her hard you will clear it, or you can drain the carbs via their drain screws and all may be well again. Im afraid that water contamination will become more of an issue as the percentage of ethanol is increased over here, just like our members across the water,no pun intended. Jubba 92 1200
      • Mark H
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
          Thanks John and Ed
          I will get the seafoam wednesday and give it a go.I think you may be right i have never been on reserve before and its too much of a coincidence that i now have trouble.I will drain the carbs and give it a go as i am sure the foam will do it no harm.
          Bikes in for a service next week as the carbs need a balance and the fluids are due a change.
          Sadly i have little time to do any jobs on her due to work.
          Am i correct in thinking that other people run their bikes on motorways in the reserve position to try and take the contaminated fuel throght the carbs when they are open?
          At 1.40 per litre you dont throw it away.Yes Ed its 1.40 per litre in the UK.
          Mark

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
            Mark;
            I would NEVER suggest throwing ANYTHING away much less fuel! My wife
            can back me up on that statement or I could just send you a picture of my
            garage! (;-) However I WOULD suggest siphoning all the fuel out of the tank
            and draining the float bowls BEFORE sending it to have the carbs adjusted
            and balanced. No sense balancing them to fuel that is suspect. Make sure the
            tank is as clean as you have time to get it before spending your money to
            have the carbs balanced. [Don't ask me how I know this! (;-)] The first time
            I had my carbs done the fuel/air screws wound up to be all at 2 turns out
            except cylinder 2 which just happened to be the last one he adjusted. [He
            adjusted 3,4,1, & then 2. Don't ask me why because I don't know.] When he
            got to 2 he could turn it out 4 turns with no difference. I was new to the
            bike at the time and he had already spent quite a few hours on it at a
            predetermined set price and told me that it was because the bike had high
            mileage it was as good as it was going to get. I would just have to live
            with it and be careful coming off of stop signs because of the stutter at
            low speeds.
            As I got more knowledgeable about the bike and with the advice of
            ANOTHER mechanic I did all the above cleaning first before sending in to him
            to have the carbs adjusted again. When I got the bike back it ran like it
            was new! The was no stutter, it idled smooth, and there was no mention of
            anything I was going to have to "live with" because of old age or high
            mileage. Expensive lessons when you have to have others do your work for you
            and then have to have it done over again at your own expense!
            BTW: I strained the old fuel I siphoned out of the tank through a
            paint filter and then ran it in my lawn tractor. I could have used it either
            my wife's car or my car as they are both Fuel injected and can handle this
            stuff easier than a carbureted engine can. "Waste Not! Want Not!" <?> I
            would have the bike tuned on the fuel I intended to use in it.
            Your opinions may vary!

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
              Cheers Ed i love the way you write!Guess i was having a moan about the price of fuel over here.
              I am going to run out the petrol i have left with the Seafoam to use it up.When i take her in i will let the mechanic drain the tank while its off ,theres no point taking it off twice.
              The guy runs his own business but used to work for a Triumph main dealer and he seems to know the bikes well.
              He fitted a new rear tyre for me late last year and he told me about the coils and the crank sensor.
              I will let you know how it goes.
              Mark

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

              > Mark;
              > I would NEVER suggest throwing ANYTHING away much less fuel! My wife
              > can back me up on that statement or I could just send you a picture of my
              > garage! (;-) However I WOULD suggest siphoning all the fuel out of the tank
              > and draining the float bowls BEFORE sending it to have the carbs adjusted
              > and balanced. No sense balancing them to fuel that is suspect. Make sure the
              > tank is as clean as you have time to get it before spending your money to
              > have the carbs balanced. [Don't ask me how I know this! (;-)] The first time
              > I had my carbs done the fuel/air screws wound up to be all at 2 turns out
              > except cylinder 2 which just happened to be the last one he adjusted. [He
              > adjusted 3,4,1, & then 2. Don't ask me why because I don't know.] When he
              > got to 2 he could turn it out 4 turns with no difference. I was new to the
              > bike at the time and he had already spent quite a few hours on it at a
              > predetermined set price and told me that it was because the bike had high
              > mileage it was as good as it was going to get. I would just have to live
              > with it and be careful coming off of stop signs because of the stutter at
              > low speeds.
              > As I got more knowledgeable about the bike and with the advice of
              > ANOTHER mechanic I did all the above cleaning first before sending in to him
              > to have the carbs adjusted again. When I got the bike back it ran like it
              > was new! The was no stutter, it idled smooth, and there was no mention of
              > anything I was going to have to "live with" because of old age or high
              > mileage. Expensive lessons when you have to have others do your work for you
              > and then have to have it done over again at your own expense!
              > BTW: I strained the old fuel I siphoned out of the tank through a
              > paint filter and then ran it in my lawn tractor. I could have used it either
              > my wife's car or my car as they are both Fuel injected and can handle this
              > stuff easier than a carbureted engine can. "Waste Not! Want Not!" <?> I
              > would have the bike tuned on the fuel I intended to use in it.
              > Your opinions may vary!
              > HTH
              >
              > Ed J.
              > 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
              > 1964 Bonneville TT Special
              > Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
              > Cell - 321/795-4387

            • lovemytrophy
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
                Hi Mark, not exactly. My problems started after washing and polishing the bike, having more or less stripped it down to clean it properly.
                You can follow the story in this long list of messages. It's more or less back to normal now, just going to use the Sea Foam to finish the job (hopefully) after all the claims of what it can do on here.

                Tony
                Chelmsford, UK

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 3, 2012
                  Mark, look for the posts re poor mileage 1200 and all the 'Seafoam does the trick' posts.

                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 5, 2012
                    Just a little update on my 1200.
                    I have put 4 oz of Seafaom in the tank and just done a quick 80 miles to pump it round.Result mmmm! not sure.
                    Same problem is still there,ie popping and uneven tickover.However it "seems " to be a little better than before.Its smoother than before but still pops but now i can clearly feel it in both exhausts.
                    When going she is very fast and smooth once past 1500-2000 rpm.
                    Cruised at 100 no problems and picked up when the throttle was opened without any hesitation.Off the line with a little extra throttle the acceleration is very quick as usual.Please note i dont ride like this all the time.
                    Is it a coil i wonder or dirt in the jets?
                    Off to have the carbs balanced next week so will get clearer picture then.
                    Still love it.Lots of bike here and the name on the tank far outweighs any niggles.
                    Mark

                  • nort75mk3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 5, 2012
                      Dump a bunch more in the tank.........Use the whole can up.............

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 5, 2012
                        Mark, you are going to have to be a little more patient than that. You should be able to get three tanks worth out of that little bottle of SeaFoam. It's not going to be instantaneous. If it's really crudded up, it will take time and may even need taking apart to clean. See what it's like after you've run the whole lot through it. A lot of miles, but you can enjoy yourself doing it, then see how it is and then again after getting the carbs balanced. The manual says every 12000 miles I think, which for most folk is every two years, but if you do as many miles as me, that's less than a year.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 5, 2012
                          Cheers Tony i fully understand.
                          Since the problem started i have been unable to ride the bike so not had any time to adjust/play etc.
                          I think its water/dirt in the carbs as once shes going at over 2000 rpm its situation normal.
                          There is a definate difference since last saturday when the problem first manifested itself,this may be down to a longer faster run adn the Seafoam.
                          I was on the Mag easter egg run last weekend which was very very slow i dont think we got over 30 all the way.
                          Will keep at it with the Seafoam.
                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 5, 2012
                            I still haven't put the SeaFoam in mine, still running the last of the Wynns Gold through it. It's definitely better than it was a couple of weeks back. I'm going to take it out on a long run tomorrow and run a lot of fuel through it and finally get the seafoam into it. I'm thinking something like a 500mile round trip. Going to take a couple of spare coils and the tools necessary for getting to the tank and getting it off, so that if need be, I can delve into a problem in a layby if necessary.

                          • A Deux - a2
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 5, 2012
                              Can't agree with you balancing your carbs untill you know you have a clean tank, clean fuel, clean filters, clean carbs, no water. Otherwise the fault will persist, the carbs may get balanced in the most extraordinary positions and you will still have a niggling fault which when fixed may well bring your carbs back into balance.

                              Balancing carbs more than rudimentarily is over-rated if you have other (worse) faults. If you learn how to clean down the fuel system you will be able to set the carbs up sufficiently by "eye" with just a few words of further advice.

                              Worst mistake you can make is to clean the carb rubbers with carb cleaner - avoid the stuff it's too easy to make a mistake. All you need is an old toothbrush and a bit of patience starting from the highest point - your tank.

                              Have you dumped the fuel out of the bottom of the carbs via the bottom cross head screws?

                              Actually low rev burbles sounds like a bit of dirt in the pilot jets.

                              A2

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 6, 2012
                                Thanks mate good advice and fully understood.
                                The bike will go in with virtualy empty tank which will be fully drained by the mechanic as will the carbs.
                                Then he is going to check the sparks etc then the carbs can be balanced.
                                I have had a high power torch in the tank and there is NO rust or debri present.Could just be water or it could be the coil in which case it will be changed.
                                Mark

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 6, 2012
                                  When I had my tank drained, with both petcock and fuel level sender removed, as well as the filler cap assembly, I checked the inside of the tank with a torch too. The tank is clean. The only thing that I found anywhere was some orange looking little round balls around the base of the filter on the petcock. I cleaned them off, but haven't found any anywhere else. No idea what they were. Definitely not rust colour.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 6, 2012
                                    Seafoam in my tank today at the third filling in one day. Had a really good ride today. M11 was chokka, so went cross country, via A414 to Hatfield and onto A1M, north to Grantham, then some back roads for 50 odd miles or so, then back onto A1 to come home, A1,A1M,A14,M11,A120,A131. Very cold, despite all the sun this morning. Raining on the way home, but not enough to remove the grin that only a great ride brings out. Bike still stuttered below 2000rpm a few times, but came off M11 at J10 and went east to the BP at the roundabout near Sawston, topped it off with 5oz of seafoam, then back to M11 to continue the journey. 325 miles in all.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 6, 2012

                                    • nigelpk@globalnet.co.uk
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 6, 2012
                                        Tony don't rule out the coils. Typical symptoms are a miss below 3000, sometimes a rough idle and even cutting out at idle. In my experience the symptoms usually get worse over time though and certainly not better! I used to live down your way and in fact bike came from ongar m/c. The guy there was always very helpful but perhaps doesn't come across too well at first.

                                        Cheers nigel

                                        99 bbbb nwuk
                                        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
                                      • lovemytrophy
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 7, 2012
                                          Hi Nigel, my coils packed up last year, or at least one of them did. Got a replacement set from a breakers in Colchester. They've been fine since. If you look back over all the threads, you'll see what I've done so far and what a difference it's made. The biggest problem was the vacuum pipe from carb #3 to the back of the petcock. The pipe was split where it fitted on the carb, it was also bent at 90degrees and trapped between petcock and a cable run that is tye wrapped to the frame. I moved the cable upwards slightly out of the way, cut off the split end of the pipe and rerouted it to the petcock so there are no kinks etc. I fitted brand new plugs, tried swapping the coils one at a time with the one good one that I had left, which made no difference. Also tried swapping around plug leads with spares and that made no difference either. Also checked the air filter by removing the back section and ramming my fingers into the hole that they join onto, feeling the sponge and my fingers came out almost clean and slightly oily. Nothing out of the airbox drain pipe either. Only thing that I haven't touched is the carbs themselves, which is why I ran the Wynns Gold through them and now have SeaFoam in the tank. When I've used up the whole bottle - should do about three tanks full, then I'll reassess the situation and maybe have to remove the carbs and get them cleaned.

                                          Tony
                                          Chelmsford, UK

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 7, 2012
                                            Tony I have followed the threads and if you have definatly substituted both coils with another and you get the same symptom then it is more likely to be a partially blocked jet, broken o ring or maybe even a slight air leak on the rubbers or diaphragms.
                                            Some of the coils have been known to deteriorate over time due to internal corrosion rather than miles but it is very unlikely that even another faulty coil would give exactly the same symptom.

                                            Cheers and good luck nigel

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 11, 2012
                                              Having run two tanks full of fuel with Wynns Gold additive, then a third tankful with no additive, now I'm almost at the end of a tankful with 5oz of SeaFoam in it. Yesterday, it was a hell of a lot better than it has been for a long time, with just a couple of hesitations.
                                              This morning when I went out at 5.15am and uncovered the Trophy, my car was covered in frost, really cold. However, the Trophy kicked off first push of the button, needed hardly any choke and no adjustment at all to the slow running. She just started and then ticked over beautifully at about 1000rpm without a hint of a miss or any of those pops in the silencers. Exactly the same again at 3.30 this afternoon on the way home from work, except this time, it didn't need the choke either. The running seemed so much smoother too.
                                              I think it's a little too early to say that the problem is cured, but I have enough SeaFoam left to put through with another two tankfuls of fuel. If she continues to run without any further problems, then I'll definitely be saying that the SeaFoam really did do the trick.