Broken trophy, not any more

  • johnbarrett41
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 5:05 AM
      Hi All, An update to my earlier post, all is now well again and I am awarding myself the idiot of the week prize!!! Turns out that due to bad/ incorrect routing of the vacuum pipe to the fuel tap by myself a few months ago, it was kinked against the frame tube and due to heat, vibration, age and to my mind being to short in the first place it fractured and of course caused the fuel to stop flowing. Now I dont consider myself to be completely stupid but why I didnt just turn the tap to prime is completely beyond me just now! Any how after a trip to my very friendly motor factor to buy some tubing I now have a very fine running trophy again, with longer and rerouted vacuum pipe this should ensure no more problems in this area. Jubba, 92 1200 running sweet.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 5:39 AM
        Been there, Done that! (;-) A thing to remember is that if you are not quick
        enough to realize what the problem is you can quickly drain your battery to
        the point that even in prime the bike wont start because there isn't enough
        juice left in the battery to turn the starter and fire the ignition as well.
        Don't ask me how I know this! $120 rescue mission.

        Ed J.
        2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
        1964 Bonneville TT Special
        Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
        Cell - 321/795-4387

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 6:33 AM
          Hi Jubba,

          Great news that you've sorted the problem.
          I wasn't too sure it was a genuine problem as I knew what the date was today, but your obvious frustration convinced me.

          I think we've all done that one at some time in the past. Certainly I have.

          I now make a point of double-checking my Fuel and Vacuum lines every time I put the Tank back on AND I've just replaced all the tubes for 'new OE items' on both bikes.

          Peace at last.

          cheers
          Gordon

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "johnbarrett41" <jonbba@...> wrote:

          > Hi All, An update to my earlier post, all is now well again and I am awarding myself the idiot of the week prize!!! Turns out that due to bad/ incorrect routing of the vacuum pipe to the fuel tap by myself a few months ago, it was kinked against the frame tube and due to heat, vibration, age and to my mind being to short in the first place it fractured and of course caused the fuel to stop flowing. Now I dont consider myself to be completely stupid but why I didnt just turn the tap to prime is completely beyond me just now! Any how after a trip to my very friendly motor factor to buy some tubing I now have a very fine running trophy again, with longer and rerouted vacuum pipe this should ensure no more problems in this area. Jubba, 92 1200 running sweet.

        • lovemytrophy
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 8:39 AM
            So many people have trouble with the vacuum pipe that connects to the petcock. The fact that the end of the nozzle on the petcock that it fits on is so close to the frame is pretty bad design in my book. My own one there was complicated by the cable harness that is strapped to the frame and lies directly behind that pipe. I had to move the harness to allow the pipe to fit without kinking.
            You would think that Triumph would have come up with a special pipe with a 90 degree end piece to fit to the petcock, then we wouldn't have so many problems in that area.

            Tony
            Chelmsford, UK

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1 10:30 AM
              Tony;
              Sorry but the "Idiot of the Week" prizes have been on back order for
              quite some time now because you aren't the first one with this problem. I
              didn't invent the problem but I personally have perfected it!
              I have since learned there are several things you can do to avoid
              this malady of poor design. First you have to understand that the petcock
              was not designed for the Trophy to start with. It was "borrowed" from a
              Kawasaki supplier and the concept was abandoned by Kawasaki as well so
              replacements are not available using their parts.
              The first thing I will tell you about is the problem with vacuum
              hose to start with. Vacuum hose is quite flexible and therefore flimsy
              making it easy to rupture and kink thus making the petcock in operable. As I
              have mentioned before if you run into a situation where you have a "run out
              of fuel" symptoms and you have plenty of fuel on board and realize it may be
              the petcock, by the time you crank your bike enough on PRI to fill the float
              bowls you may not have enough cranking power left in your battery to run the
              ignition and the starter both. So the bike still may not start even though
              it cranks over. The moral of this story is to use 3/16" fuel line instead of
              vacuum hose and route it carefully as it can also rupture at the carb end
              just as easy as it does at the petcock end. I had this happen to me and cost
              me $120 to get hauled home.
              Second thing to mention is that the Trophy doesn't really NEED two
              fuel lines to have enough fuel flow IF your petcock is flowing properly.
              [Notice that's a BIG IF!] So blocking the front fuel outlet at the petcock
              is an option to eliminate the problem of the routing of that fuel line. It
              is prudent to replace all fuel lines with new stuff anyway as it is trapped
              in the hottest place on the bike and gets hard really fast in warm weather.
              Now that we've reduced some of our problems we need to check the
              petcock to see if it really is working properly or the knob is just turning
              and making us THINK all is well. By taking out the petcock, removing the
              input filters, and looking down into the holes while you turn the knob you
              can check to make sure that a hole lines up completely with each click stop.
              I have two petcocks and in RUN position the hole lines up perfectly with the
              hole where the tallest filter goes in both petcocks. In the RES and PRI
              positions the holes only line up about 1/3 of the opening on both petcocks.
              So running you bike in the RES position will allow you to feed from the
              bottom of the tank and avoid crud building up there, you MAY not be getting
              good fuel flow from that position. It would probably be enough to get you to
              a fueling station but at higher speeds would be suspect.
              Failing the above, you could also modify the front outlet and vacuum
              outlets to provide 90° outlets as Greg Andrews has so generously done for me
              on one of my petcocks. This would make it much easier to remove and replace
              the tank etc.
              The last option is to replace the whole petcock with a Pingel
              adapter plate and "Full Flow" petcock with one outlet. Then you simply do
              like we did in the old days; When operating the bike we turn the fuel "ON"!
              When it starts to sputter and run out of gas we switch to "RES" and start
              looking for a fueling station. [Note; This happens on a Trophy about half a
              tank so you have plenty of warning to get fuel.} Just don't forget that
              you're on Reserve because there isn't any steps to take when that runs dry.
              The down side of this is that if you forget to turn the fuel "OFF" when you
              park the bike you are at the mercy of the float valves to stop the flow of
              fuel into the engine and it can flow into the cylinders and down into the
              crankcase. [Don't ask me how I know this can happen.] The Pingel full flow
              petcock isn't without it's faults as well as I had mine get some contaminant
              in it and stuck part way open while in the OFF position. I guess there is
              nothing without it's weaknesses of some sort.
              Given the options I have mentioned I continue to use the Pingel
              system, one fuel line, Seafoam in the tank, and Ethanol free gas whenever
              possible. My Trophy has not given me a stutter since the bad fuel incident
              in a previous post so I think I'll ride it some more before I tear anything
              apart again. "If it works, Don't Fix It" !
              HTH