Engine gasket question

  • areckitm
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi,

      I am about to change sprockets and chain on my Trophy 900. As far as I know, to change sprocket on engine I need to take oil out of engine end open engine cover. Under this cover there is gasket that needs to be changed. Here is my problem. My Triumph parts dealer told me that he needs two weeks to get this gasket. There is no quicker way to get this gasket here in Poland.

      Here is my question. Is it regular paper gasket? I am wondering about buting gasket paper 0,5mm and cutting it by myself.

      BR
      Arek
    • John Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
        You are correct that oil needs to be drained and cover removed.
        I have done this job a couple of times myself on different trophys and
        Both times I just re used old gasket without a problem.
        If the gasket is damaged during removal I am sure that gasket paper will be ok.
        Good luck.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 2, 2012, at 8:11 AM, "areckitm" <arecki-tm@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am about to change sprockets and chain on my Trophy 900. As far as I know, to change sprocket on engine I need to take oil out of engine end open engine cover. Under this cover there is gasket that needs to be changed. Here is my problem. My Triumph parts dealer told me that he needs two weeks to get this gasket. There is no quicker way to get this gasket here in Poland.
        >
        > Here is my question. Is it regular paper gasket? I am wondering about buting gasket paper 0,5mm and cutting it by myself.
        >
        > BR
        > Arek

      • areckitm
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
          Thank You very much. I am doing this for the first time, so I just wanted some confirmation so I will not ended up with bunch of parts that I will not be able to put back together :)

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, John Wilkinson <davidjohn.wilkinson@...> wrote:

          > You are correct that oil needs to be drained and cover removed.
          > I have done this job a couple of times myself on different trophys and
          > Both times I just re used old gasket without a problem.
          > If the gasket is damaged during removal I am sure that gasket paper will be ok.
          > Good luck.
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Mar 2, 2012, at 8:11 AM, "areckitm" <arecki-tm@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am about to change sprockets and chain on my Trophy 900. As far as I know, to change sprocket on engine I need to take oil out of engine end open engine cover. Under this cover there is gasket that needs to be changed. Here is my problem. My Triumph parts dealer told me that he needs two weeks to get this gasket. There is no quicker way to get this gasket here in Poland.
          > >
          > > Here is my question. Is it regular paper gasket? I am wondering about buting gasket paper 0,5mm and cutting it by myself.
          > >
          > > BR
          > > Arek

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
            Hi Arek,
            How many miles do you have on the chain and sprocket set? I have replaced the chain 3 times and the sprocket once. The sprockets are very strong and don't need replacing each time with the chain. I changed the front sprocket at 60,000 miles and the rear sprocket still looks good at 84,000 miles. I use a Scottoiler for the chain. Your gasket will probably not net need replacing.
            Greg Andrews
            '96 900 BRG
            '98 Sprint Exec.

            "areckitm" wrote:
            I am about to change sprockets and chain on my Trophy 900. Under this cover there is gasket that needs to be changed. Here is my question. Is it regular paper gasket? I am wondering about buting gasket paper 0,5mm and cutting it by myself.
            Arek
          • gluman3
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
              You may want to consider replacing the shifter shaft seal, clutch push rod seal and even the sprocket shaft seal while doing this job. Especially if you have any leaking coming from this area. It is always a good idea to replace the paper gasket even though you may get away with re-using the old one if not damaged during removal of the cover. Be sure to clean out all the chain and road grime in both the cover and sprocket cavity. Always tape the openings with duct tape to avoid getting dirt in to the engine.

              Steve

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "areckitm" <arecki-tm@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am about to change sprockets and chain on my Trophy 900. As far as I know, to change sprocket on engine I need to take oil out of engine end open engine cover. Under this cover there is gasket that needs to be changed. Here is my problem. My Triumph parts dealer told me that he needs two weeks to get this gasket. There is no quicker way to get this gasket here in Poland.
              >
              > Here is my question. Is it regular paper gasket? I am wondering about buting gasket paper 0,5mm and cutting it by myself.
              >
              > BR
              > Arek

            • A Deux - a2
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
                I have also got away with not draining the oil.....well at least the little it flows pulls out the surrounding dirt.....

                A2