Datatool alarm odd behaviour

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
      My 2003 BBBB has a Datatool System 3 alarm, fitted when the bike was new, and it's always worked OK. I've had the bike for over five years.

      Recently the alarm has started behaving oddly. After the bike has been left overnight when I try to unalarm by the remote (right button) the alarm starts to sound. Pressing either remote button does not silence it. Then after I turn on the ignition the remote button can turn off the alarm. Usually the alarm and remote then work fine for the rest of the day, even if the bike is left unattended for several hours in a car park. But occasionally I get the same symptoms even after I have stopped the engine for a short time, such as after filling up. The remote seems OK as both buttons work and the left button (motion sensor) always seems to operate the alarm as it should. Any ideas anyone?

      Keith

      London, UK
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
        When did you last renew the battery in the remote? Maybe it's time for a
        new one.

        On 1 January 2012 09:43, Keith <keithwilkinson2003@...> wrote:

        > My 2003 BBBB has a Datatool System 3 alarm, fitted when the bike was new,
        > and it's always worked OK. I've had the bike for over five years.

      • Dennis Anderson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
          Weak battery.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Anderson <dand9@...> wrote:

            > Weak battery.

            You could be right and I shall change it to be certain, but I have never had a weak battery behave like this before. The alarm normally works OK after that first unalarm of the day and the left RC button (to turn off motion sensor) always works even when the right button has no effect. Today when I went to start the bike there was no problem.

            Keith

            London, UK
          • A Deux
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
              Is there a backup battery within the alarm on the bike.?

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                Good thought A2! There almost has to be a lithium Ion or similar battery in
                there to retain it's memory if the regular battery goes dead, is removed, or
                disconnected. I am a musician and have several keyboards with them in them
                for that purpose. Their life expectancy is around 4 to 5 years so that makes
                a lot of good sense beings he has had the bike for 5 years. Good call! Isn't
                this forum great?

                Ed J.
                2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                1964 Bonneville TT Special
                Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                Cell - 321/795-4387

                wrote:

                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Anderson <dand9@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Weak battery.
                > >

                > You could be right and I shall change it to be certain, but I have never
                had a weak battery behave like this before. The alarm normally works OK
                after that first unalarm of the day and the left RC button (to turn off
                motion sensor) always works even when the right button has no effect. Today
                when I went to start the bike there was no problem.

                > Keith
                >
                > London, UK

                ------------------------------------

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                minimum when replying.

              • Keith
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "A Deux" <adeux60@...> wrote:

                  > Is there a backup battery within the alarm on the bike.?

                  I can find no mention of a backup battery in the Datatool manual although there is loads of stuff about how to deal with an RC that does not work because of a dead battery. Perhaps configuration is kept in flash memory. I'll replace the RC batteries as a first step in case fob batteries are low and causing the problem in some way.

                  Keith

                  London, UK
                • Keith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

                    > Good thought A2! There almost has to be a lithium Ion or similar battery in
                    > there to retain it's memory if the regular battery goes dead, is removed, or
                    > disconnected. I am a musician and have several keyboards with them in them
                    > for that purpose. Their life expectancy is around 4 to 5 years so that makes
                    > a lot of good sense beings he has had the bike for 5 years. Good call! Isn't
                    > this forum great?

                    I cannot see any reference to an alarm battery anywhere and if there is one it would be much much older than five years. The alarm was fitted in 2003 when the Trophy was purchased and the bike was then almost unused by the original owner until I bought it three years later. The main bike battery is recently new but this problem started intermittently before I replaced it. I'll get new fob batteries and see if they are causing the problem in some way. Yes this forum is great. Trophy riders are always a helpful bunch.

                    Keith

                    London, UK
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                      Keith;
                      The lithium Ion battery [If that is what they used] is not mentioned
                      because it is not user replaceable. It has to be soldered in by a
                      knowledgeable tech and rarely causes a problem in most users ownership. When
                      we keep things a long time then it will rear it's ugly head. I have a whole
                      studio full of keyboards and modules that I'm sure no longer work because of
                      this problem. I haven't even touched them since 1992. I did fire one up to
                      give to my daughter at Thanksgiving and was amazed that it still worked.
                      They recharge themselves as part of the circuit if something is used but
                      like anything else they do have a life expectancy. It will be soldered into
                      part of the circuit board inside the unit if it exists. Hope this helps.

                      Ed J.
                      2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                      1964 Bonneville TT Special
                      Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                      Cell - 321/795-4387

                      > Good thought A2! There almost has to be a lithium Ion or similar battery
                      in
                      > there to retain it's memory if the regular battery goes dead, is removed,
                      or
                      > disconnected. I am a musician and have several keyboards with them in them
                      > for that purpose. Their life expectancy is around 4 to 5 years so that
                      makes
                      > a lot of good sense beings he has had the bike for 5 years. Good call!
                      Isn't
                      > this forum great?

                      I cannot see any reference to an alarm battery anywhere and if there is one
                      it would be much much older than five years. The alarm was fitted in 2003
                      when the Trophy was purchased and the bike was then almost unused by the
                      original owner until I bought it three years later. The main bike battery is
                      recently new but this problem started intermittently before I replaced it.
                      I'll get new fob batteries and see if they are causing the problem in some
                      way. Yes this forum is great. Trophy riders are always a helpful bunch.

                      Keith

                      London, UK

                      ------------------------------------

                      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                        http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/support/index.php?category=1&product=veto_evo&action=search

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Alec Gore <e-mail@...> wrote:

                          > http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/support/index.php?category=1&product=veto_evo&action=search

                          Many thanks for the link. I only previously had the user guide.

                          Keith

                          London, UK
                        • Keith
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Alec Gore <e-mail@...> wrote:

                            > http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/support/index.php?category=1&product=veto_evo&action=search

                            Yes, the RC battery seems to be low. The manual says that if there are three long beeps when the system is disarmed it means the transmitter battery is low, and that is what I am getting. But I do not see any way to replace the batteries in the Remote Control FOB. There do not seem to be any batteries in there that I can see so perhaps I need a new RC FOB.

                            I thought I had better set a PIN for the alarm before the RC battery goes completely flat so then I will at least be able to disarm the thing without a RC FOB. But to do that I have to find the inline fuse and I don't know where it is! The original installation check sheet just says `Fuse rating 10Amp, location Triumph fusebox", which I suppose means the Aux position - number 4 - in the fusebox.

                            It's now cold and getting dark so I shall look again tomorrow. Does anyone have knowledge of the RC FOB for this alarm and whether a new RC FOB is needed?

                            Keith

                            London, UK
                          • Keith
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 3, 2012
                              After searching around I have discovered where the batteries in the RC transmitter are held. I found the information at

                              http://www.bikersoracle.com/cbr600/forum/showthread.php?t=9037

                              They are hidden inside the bottom of the plastic housing. In order to replace them it is necessary to first remove the waterproof sleeve, then slide the PCB from the black plastic housing. The battery holder is then exposed in the PCB.

                              I replaced batteries in the `spare' transmitter which I had never before used and it worked immediately.

                              Datatool supply a complete replacement battery kit which provides a new housing so I might get one of those to ensure the transmitter is completely waterproof.

                              Keith
                              London, UK
                            • Thomas
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 3, 2012
                                I have a Datatool Evo alarm in my '01 Bonneville, and I had the same symptoms about three months ago. I emailed Datatool and was told that yes, there is a battery (for backup) in the alarm unit, but that it would not cause my problem. They went on to say that the Evo was no longer supported. I removed it, and that was not an easy task, so now I am alarmless.