RE: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Bad day at the office

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2011
      I think I read somewhere that the stuff "Superglue" is made from is the only
      thing that works on it. I don't know that to be a fact however.

      Ed J.
      2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
      1964 Bonneville TT Special
      Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
      Cell - 321/795-4387

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 4, 2011
        I used 2-part epoxy to repair cracks in my fairings. I put the epoxy repairs on the back side. One the front I filled the cracks with several layers of Triumph touch-up paint. A bit tedious but the repairs are rock solid.

        Some day I hope to have it professionally painted. I've been told by my chosen paint artist that she has a filler that fills plastic flawlessly.

        My home repair looks pretty good.

        John F
        Minneapolis
        1996 Trophy 1200 British Racing Green 56,750 miles
        2012 Bonneville T-100 Graphite and Phantom Black 1,650 miles
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2011
          Cyanoacrylate is "Super Glue"! Interesting information on WikiPedia.
          Particularly the paragraph regarding it's use with baking soda. Sounds like
          the ideal combination for fairing repairs on Trophy's. I believe it was Bob
          Clark who first put me in this direction. I intend to try it on my top box.
          I think he mentioned using "panty hose" material like you would fiberglass
          cloth. It never occurred to me however to use baking soda as a filler. Very
          interesting!
          I'll let you know how it works out!

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
            I have used cyanoacrylate with talcumpowder in the past, and aeromoddelers use microballoons. as lightweight filler. I believe these are glass bubbles...

            But cyano glue reacts badly with some plastics, making them brittle round the joint.

            I believe Polycarbonate is one of these plastics.

            regards john

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
              " I believe Polycarbonate is one of these plastics."
              Is that what our fairings are made of?

              From: Ed Johnson edljohnson2@...

              Cyanoacrylate is "Super Glue"! Interesting information on WikiPedia.
            • john tabberer
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                My car insurance repaired damage caused by another driver. and one of the tasks they completed was 'Plastic Welding' the rear bumper, where it had split. leaving a nice neat weld line where there should have been smooth plastic...
                I was impressed with the technology, but dissapointed with the finish.
                needless to say, it wasn't the only point I was unhappy about, and eventually they put it right...

                but as this damage to the trophy is effectively an own goal!. I don't think it's a good idea to claim on my insurance.

                When it's a bit warmer I will try and reset the edges of the damage, and try epoxy and glass fibre cloth...
                I have a little bottle of nail varnish that's a good match, so I'll give that a try until I can afford a better repair.
                regards John

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                  Not sure.
                  I have a nagging thought that it's ABS... was hoping someone else knew what the normal description of 'Unobtanium' was

                  John

                  ________________________________
                  " I believe Polycarbonate is one of these plastics."
                  Is that what our fairings are made of?
                  Ed J.

                • steve krenz
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                      Its ABS..which is why I suggested melting metal ties into the rear of any cracks to locate the cracks together before attempting any repairs. eg welding the cracks or melting ABS onto it. I used to work with a paste that was ABS melted with a solvent - Good Stuff - but I just cant remember where I got it from or the trade name of the main product to track it down.

                      As I don't have patience to make things pretty for myself - I then roughen the rear surface and fibreglass it - yes I know fibreglass does not stick to abs which is why I bond the cracked edges together first with a soldering iron and with hot wire ties etc first and rely on the fibreglass to adhere sufficiently to the rough surface.

                      As my life doesn't depend on it - it is good enough.

                      Nearly forgot to mention there are also a few more deftly placed rounded allen bolts fitted in strategic places on my fairing too (with various bits of metal strapping parts together on the rear) - matched both sides as I have no preference to which side I fall over on.......

                      Bad day at the office?....I would rather drop my bike....it is that bad at the moment....
                      A2

                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

                      > " I believe Polycarbonate is one of these plastics."
                      > Is that what our fairings are made of?
                      > Ed J.
                      > 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                      > 1964 Bonneville TT Special
                      > Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                      > Cell - 321/795-4387

                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                        Hi John,
                        The side panel under the seat had a big crack, I first tried epoxy glue. It lasted about 2 weeks and then cracked again. Then I tried
                        JB Weld glue and and piece of aluminum sheet metal. On the back side of the panel I put down a layer of glue and then clamped the aluminum on top of the glue. The next day I filled in the top exposed surface dings with JB Weld. After drying it was sanded and painted. 2 months and still looks good.
                        As for paint there are some automotive paint shops that will custom mix a spray can of paint to match your color. About $25 per can.
                        Try YouTube. Type in: Repairing ABS plastic, in their search box.
                        Greg Andrews
                        '98 900 Sprint

                        "Bodmas" wrote:
                        nose cone broken above and below the mirror mountings, Indicator smashed Left side panel and pannier scratched Top! of Topbox, scratched
                        If I can't replace the nose, what's the best repair medium?
                        any idea where to get matching paint cost effectively?
                        regards John
                      • steve krenz
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                          Greg,
                          I repaired all the broken tabs and cracks on the bodywork on my '89 Honda Transalp. I found a product called Plastex.
                          I used this repair kit along with pcv pipe and glue. I cut the large 4" pcv pipe on a band saw, lay the pipe on the table and saw lenghtwise to get flat strips to use as backing behind the cracks. This stuff works and I also used it to strengthen the repairs by just filling small spaces and dripping the liquid a drop at a time.  If you pick up a kit you will figure out what I'm talking about in a nano second.

                          Google plastex and their website will explane the produt and uses in detail.

                           CONTACT INFORMATION:
                          G.T. MOTORSPORTS / PLASTEX PLASTIC REPAIR KITS
                          P.O.BOX: 18308  RENO, NV.  89511  U.S.A.
                          PHONE: (775)852-4066
                          FAX: (775)853-3377

                          Steve
                          '96 Trophy 900 BRG

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 5, 2011
                            Thanks Greg.
                            I'll give that a try.

                            regards John

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 6, 2011
                              On Monday, December 05, 2011 at 2:07 PM, john tabberer confessed:
                              >I have a little bottle of nail varnish that's a good match, so I'll give that a try until I can afford a better repair.
                              >regards John

                              You’re a big man, sir. There’s not many that would admit to taking their accessorizing to the extent of colour co-ordinating their fingernails with their fairings, especially to a group of gnarly motorcyclists. Well done!
                              Mike
                              92, 900

                            • john tabberer
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 6, 2011
                                I have another bottle that matched my old helmet.
                                It still matches my wife's helmet, so I can't afford to do my nails with it too often!
                                Haven't found 'Titanium' nail varnish to match my new helmet yet!
                                :^)
                                John

                                ________________________________
                                On Monday, December 05, 2011 at 2:07 PM, john tabberer confessed:
                                >I have a little bottle of nail varnish that's a good match, so I'll give that a try until I can afford a better repair.
                                >regards John

                                You’re a big man, sir. There’s not many that would admit to taking their accessorizing to the extent of colour co-ordinating their fingernails with their fairings, especially to a group of gnarly motorcyclists. Well done!
                                Mike
                                92, 900

                              • JohnM
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 8, 2011
                                  Hi John

                                  In Australia we have a product called "Q-Bond" (I think it's a 3M product) which is basically Cyanocrylate (?) glue with a reinforcing resin powder applied. Comes as a kit.

                                  Use this stuff properly as per the instructions and, if it breaks again - it won't be at that point. It is very tough and works very well with the ABS fairings. Most of the fairing repair shops here swear by it. One of my blinkers was smashed (usual reason) and was repaired with this stuff 3 years ago. Can hardly see the repair.

                                  I found a Ford colour called (of all things) "Pacific Blue" and I found it to be an identical match for the colour of my "96 BBBB. Maybe the Platinum is a Ford colour as well because we had '90's "Silver Aniversary" Ford Falcons here, the colour of which was called Platinum. Maybe worth a try at your local friendly Auto factor.

                                  Regards
                                  JohnM