It was all going so well.....

  • gordon4046
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2011
      It's been nearly two years now, since I became a Trophy Owner.
      Two years of the most enjoyable association I have ever known with motorcycles. Better even than the 3 1/2 years with my Norton Commando 750 Interstate (RGW 31L) in the mid '70's.

      My MkII Trophy, Lady Sharon and I, survived about half of the Monthly RoSPA Group Ride until I elected to return home with a splitting headache - the result of too much glare from the late november sun. A quick wipe over then cover her up until morning - Spyball Alarm/Immobiliser being removed and the annual MOT Test.
      Early(ish) start for 9.30 appointment. Tyre pressures checked - Satis. Pre-Ride check - Satis. Air Temp 3 degrees C - best look out for frost and icy patches. Pootle, pootle..only went about 250 yards at no more than 15mph along the adverse camber part of the Lane where we live when I felt the rear end of Sharon twitch a bit. Steady as she goes. Negotiated the rest of the 1 mile trip to MOT Station and left her there.
      We've had a great 10 months together..done 7,500 miles of mixed riding as I trained for and successfully passed my RoSPA Advanced Motorcyle Test, at the second attempt.

      A few minor gremlins with Sharon, mainly to do with safety interlocks and Spyball have been dealt with. Cosmetic 'challenges' courtesy of the P.O's have been tackled - the result is not perfect but Sharon now looks quite presentable for her age (15 years). Some more major problems such as rebuilding Front Forks and replacing Rear Suspension unit I've been able to accomplish without too much difficulty. Servicing I usually do what I can myself but I let Bar-Ash Motorcycles tackle the valve shims for me.
      In short, Sharon is great bike and a perfect foil for her older sister Tracey, my '92 MkI Trophy.
      Ostensibly thay have the same engine and chassis but to ride they are quite different and equally pleasurable. I feel very fortunate to have both at my disposal.
      Just as well really.

      Remember that 'I felt the rear end of Sharon twitch a bit' comment, well it turns out that was the rear suspension unit damper rod seal letting go - lost all the damping fluid - so now she squats down like she did when I got her but didn't notice because of the excessive pre-load that had been applied. It's inconvenient but I'm not overly worried as I know I'll get a replacement rear shock when the man gets back off his holidays. After all it's only done 2,500 miles in the last 4 months since it was fitted.

      I think all is right with the world of Trophies...Ed J is back in the saddle, A2 has ceased to tell shaggy-dog stories (thank goodness) and the Forum is bereft of Horror Stories for a change. Hooray!!

      If we do encounter a problem then this Forum is the place to find the answer...just as it should be.

      Seasons Greetings to all our readers
      Cheers
      Gordon
      '92 BBB Oxford Blue (Tracey)