Re: [TriumphTrophy] swapping trophy for sprint

  • Rick and Rachel Kefauver
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2011
      Drive her 'til she drops. I have 55K on my '96 and no worries. I hope I make 150K

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi C, Keep the Trophy. You aren't going to get much for it when you sell it. Who is going to buy a 18 year old bike with over a 100k miles? We know it's a damn good bike, but others don't and they won't give much money for it. Old 1960's Bonnies and Trophys are selling for big money here in the USA. Your Trophy is way better than those old leaky paint shakers. Maybe the Hinckley Trophy will be worth big money some day.
        Greg Andrews
        '95 900 Nightshade
        229,000 miles

        trohpy3 wrote:
        I have a 94bbb with 135k's and am thinking of up dating to maybe 03, 04 sprint... The Trophy it's running like a dream...she's got a lot of life left in her yet. So what do I do.
      • Larry Funnell
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
          If you can afford it, keep the Trophy and buy the Sprint! There's a lot
          to be said for a backup bike, especially if one is down for service.
          And having a backup makes the "unreliable" bike less of a concern, since
          you are not stuck without a ride.

          For the amount I was going to get for the Trophy when I sold it, I
          decided to keep it as a second bike. I love it too much to part, and
          still get lots of comments when I ride it. As a matter of fact, I get
          more positive feedback on it than the Multistrada. I agree with a
          previous comment by a group member, they are one of the most beautiful
          bikes of all time, and I feel they are unappreciated.

          Larry

          > trohpy3 wrote:
          > I have a 94bbb with 135k's and am thinking of up dating to maybe 03,
          > 04 sprint... The Trophy it's running like a dream...she's got a lot of
          > life left in her yet. So what do I do.

        • rick
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, trohpy3 <triumph94@...> wrote:

            > I have a 94bbb with 135k's and am thinking of up dating to maybe 03, 04
            > sprint.The idea of lower seat and less weight are really appealing.

            I originally had a 96 Trophy, that I stupidly traded in for a 2000 Sprint ST, thinking I would like the lighter weight, etc. The ST was a good bike, and it has a fanatical following, but I could never fall in love with it. I made 3 or 4 round trips from upstate NY to Florida with it (even taking my son on it to Tallahassee to start college. After a few years, I missed the Trophy, and wound up swapping it for my current 2000 Trophy from a fellow in Dallas. The ST is a great bike, but obviously different from the Trophy, but you might prefer it, as it is a personal taste.

            I found the heavier Trophy felt more relaxed and planted on trips, and I just think the Trophy is a classic, unique bike. I always compare it to my '70 Bonneville, which in my humble opinion, was the last good year for the Bonnie, and also it's best.

            Now, Gregg - who are you calling an old paint-shaker? (LOL). I am just ready to get the Bonnie back on the road after a 2 year restoration, so the Trophy may get a little neglected if I can get some miles in on the new engine before the serious snow hits up north here. Paint shaker indeed!
          • bownez@juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
              Rick, I loved my 1970 Bonneville, the last year of the old style frame. They do fetch a pretty penny these days.I bought my 2001 Trophy for the excellent fairing and its ability to gobble big miles. I'm sure I couldn't ride a Sprint as far as a Trophy.My paint shaker is a 1965 Triumph Thunderbird 650, with the half skirts. Bones
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011
                I acquired a low-mileage Sprint RS 955i a couple years ago, decked out in touring accessories (Gen-Mar risers, Ventura luggage system, large touring tank bag, sport-touring tires, etc). It was essentially setup much like an ST. It was my intent to use that as my touring-replacement, eventually phasing out the Trophy because the high miles on my Trophy were beginning to worry me. I -LOVED- the RS, handled great and plenty of power, but it could not hold a candle to the Trophy for the long haul. I ended up parting ways with it, as it overlapped too much with the duties on my Speed Four at the time and I knew it would never replace the Trophy.

                As others have said... if you can get it as an ADDITION, then I say go for it. ;)

                Tom (SW Ohio)
                1999 Triumph Trophy 1200 (76k)