New 1200 Tiger platform....Sweet dreams are made of this...

  • gordon4046
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 28, 2011
      Hi Tim - it isn't a rumour as Motor Cycle News (here in the UK) has sort of 'unofficially' been leaking this for a few months now...and anything they are allowed to leak usually happens in due course.

      I'm just so pleased that they've been developing the new Trophy alongside the Adventure type bike using a sensible engine and transmission format (IMHO).

      It may be that the new Trophy will not be released until 2013 but I'd rather they delay it until they've got it right, rather than release it too early and risk damaging Brand Loyalty.

      Triumph are pretty clever at the marketing stuff - we should just be patient.

      If it's as good as I hope it is then I'll be faced with the most difficult decision....do I keep my loverly MKI (aka Tracey) and MKII (aka Sharon) Trophies OR release them back into the wild and get a MKIII instead. I'm almost certain my long-suffering and dearly beloved wife (Jackie) won't let me have all three!!
      She sees little enough of me as it is!

      Sweet dreams,

      Gordon.
    • nort75mk3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 28, 2011
        Hey Gordon,,,,,,,sounds like you already have every man's
        dream...Tracey-Sharon-Jackie ! :>)

        Cheers !

        Tim

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 28, 2011
          Hey Gordon,
          Be careful of how you pose the idea of parting with the "Older "
          stable-mates when the new pony comes to town. Women see this as a
          metaphor. True fact. It would be better if you were to trade-in the
          older bikes. That way she'll not see you fawn over the new Trophy,
          right in front of the older ones. Surprise her! This has been a
          useful method of acquiring that has worked well for me. Then I'd
          suggest a ready list of features that will tell her you could not
          live with yourself if god forbid (it's always to use the "god") some
          tragedy happened where the more modern machine might have handled
          that weakness with aplomb. My finale step would be to get her name on
          the license plate, but only after all else fails, and she's mad in-
          spite of all of you kind efforts. Then I go on a long trip in hopes
          she will calm down by the time I get back. Trust me, it works every
          time! She bought a new car the last time, so there are still some
          minor hitches in the process. The good news is, she didn't think of
          this until 1996! We married in 1968!
          On Oct 28, 2011, at 12:43 PM, gordon4046 wrote:

          > If it's as good as I hope it is then I'll be faced with the most
          > difficult decision....do I keep my loverly MKI (aka Tracey) and
          > MKII (aka Sharon) Trophies OR release them back into the wild and
          > get a MKIII instead. I'm almost certain my long-suffering and
          > dearly beloved wife (Jackie) won't let me have all three!!
          > She sees little enough of me as it is!
          >
          > Sweet dreams,
          >
          > Gordon.

        • gordon4046
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
            Hello Poppa Jack,

            Very many thanks for your most helpful advice - as always your contributions are greatly appreciated - I'll certainly bear it in mind when the time comes....
            I consider myself extremely fortunate in life and am constantly being reminded of this fact by SWMBO (that's She Who Must Be Obeyed for those of you who haven't met my dear wife).

            Watch this space - without HOPE we have nothing.

            Best Wishes

            Gordon

            '92 Oxford Blue MkI BBB aka Tracey (32k)
            '96 BRG MkII BBB aka Sharon (20k)
          • ondrej sestak
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
              Hi all,

              ________________________________

              >Triumph are pretty clever at the marketing stuff - we should just be patient.

              I think I am patient enough, but my 1996 California 1200 BBBB is not. :)
              could someone have an idea, why black smoke is produced in neutral postion with 98 octan fuel and the brown smoke
              with 95 octan fuel ? (Vehicle location : Europe)

              I can ride of it by sport riding only (more than 7000 rpm), but in this case the fuel consumption is huge.

              Thx for tips.
              Cheers Ondrej

            • steve krenz
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
                The higher the octane the slower the burn. You may have to go to 91 or 92 octane for the bike to run properly. Just a thought!
                Steve

              • apsllp@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
                  The Mixture sounds very rich with those symptoms

                  I'd start first looking at the air cleaner and checking to see that
                  nothing has taken up house in the air-box.

                  I'd also check to make sure the spark plug are of the proper heat range
                  and that the ignition system is producing a nice fat proper spark.

                  Bob Clark
                  01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                  Jacksonville, FL
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
                    Does Anything work "All of the time" ?

                    Ed J.
                    2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                    1964 Bonneville TT Special
                    Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                    Cell - 321/795-4387

                    Good advice but does it work all of the time?

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Gordon,
                    > Be careful of how you pose the idea of parting with the "Older "
                    > stable-mates when the new pony comes to town. Women see this as a
                    > metaphor. True fact. It would be better if you were to trade-in the
                    > older bikes. That way she'll not see you fawn over the new Trophy,
                    > right in front of the older ones. Surprise her! This has been a
                    > useful method of acquiring that has worked well for me. Then I'd
                    > suggest a ready list of features that will tell her you could not
                    > live with yourself if god forbid (it's always to use the "god") some
                    > tragedy happened where the more modern machine might have handled
                    > that weakness with aplomb. My finale step would be to get her name on
                    > the license plate, but only after all else fails, and she's mad in-
                    > spite of all of you kind efforts. Then I go on a long trip in hopes
                    > she will calm down by the time I get back. Trust me, it works every
                    > time! She bought a new car the last time, so there are still some
                    > minor hitches in the process. The good news is, she didn't think of
                    > this until 1996! We married in 1968!
                    > Kindest regards,
                    > Poppa Jack
                    > On Oct 28, 2011, at 12:43 PM, gordon4046 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > If it's as good as I hope it is then I'll be faced with the most
                    > > difficult decision....do I keep my loverly MKI (aka Tracey) and
                    > > MKII (aka Sharon) Trophies OR release them back into the wild and
                    > > get a MKIII instead. I'm almost certain my long-suffering and
                    > > dearly beloved wife (Jackie) won't let me have all three!!
                    > > She sees little enough of me as it is!
                    > >
                    > > Sweet dreams,
                    > >
                    > > Gordon.

                    List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                    agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                    writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                    topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                    except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                    minimum when replying.

                  • A Deux
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
                      Ah you caught me?

                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

                      > Does Anything work "All of the time" ?
                      >
                      > Ed J.
                      > 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                      > 1964 Bonneville TT Special
                      > Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                      > Cell - 321/795-4387

                    • ondrej sestak
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2011
                        Hi Bob/Steve,
                        thank you for tips.
                        the spark plugs are NGK DPR9-EA9, as owner manual recommends.

                        The airbox and spark plugs will be replaced for next season.

                        BTW: the 91 octane unleaded fuel is real rarity here

                        Cheers Ondrej

                        You wrote:

                        >The higher the octane the slower the burn. You may have to go to 91 or 92 octane for the bike to run properly. Just a thought!

                        >I'd start first looking at the air cleaner and checking to see that
                        >nothing has taken up house in the air-box.

                        >I'd also check to make sure the spark plug are of the proper heat range
                        >and that the ignition system is producing a nice fat proper spark.

                            .

                      • A Deux
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2011
                          There is a hotter plug that NGK recommend (8) (see your plug condition first)

                          This is when a complete run down of the air fuel train is desirable before you jump in and change anything.

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, ondrej sestak <ondrej_sestak@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Bob/Steve,
                          > thank you for tips.
                          > the spark plugs are NGK DPR9-EA9, as owner manual recommends.
                          >
                          > The airbox and spark plugs will be replaced for next season.
                          >
                          > BTW: the 91 octane unleaded fuel is real rarity here
                          >
                          > Cheers Ondrej
                          >
                          > You wrote:
                          >
                          > >The higher the octane the slower the burn. You may have to go to 91 or 92 octane for the bike to run properly. Just a thought!
                          >
                          > >I'd start first looking at the air cleaner and checking to see that
                          > >nothing has taken up house in the air-box.
                          >
                          > >I'd also check to make sure the spark plug are of the proper heat range
                          > >and that the ignition system is producing a nice fat proper spark.
                          >

                          >     .

                        • A Deux
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2011
                            I'm no judge or expert but there is a discussion of octane here

                            http://www.ehow.com/info_10015370_symptoms-low-octane-motorcycles.html

                            Which to my simple mind points to a different cause to your problem.
                            A2

                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "A Deux" <adeux60@...> wrote:

                            > There is a hotter plug that NGK recommend (8) (see your plug condition first)
                            >
                            > This is when a complete run down of the air fuel train is desirable before you jump in and change anything.
                            >

                            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, ondrej sestak <ondrej_sestak@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Bob/Steve,
                            > > thank you for tips.
                            > > the spark plugs are NGK DPR9-EA9, as owner manual recommends.
                            > >
                            > > The airbox and spark plugs will be replaced for next season.
                            > >
                            > > BTW: the 91 octane unleaded fuel is real rarity here
                            > >
                            > > Cheers Ondrej
                            > >
                            > > You wrote:
                            > >
                            > > >The higher the octane the slower the burn. You may have to go to 91 or 92 octane for the bike to run properly. Just a thought!
                            > >
                            > > >I'd start first looking at the air cleaner and checking to see that
                            > > >nothing has taken up house in the air-box.
                            > >
                            > > >I'd also check to make sure the spark plug are of the proper heat range
                            > > >and that the ignition system is producing a nice fat proper spark.
                            > >

                            > >     .

                          • steve krenz
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 30, 2011
                              Good luck on tracking down the issue with your bike. Where are you located? Thankfully I've not had any of the problems that I've read about here. I bought my 1996 Trophy 900 new and the issues I worked through are: The rear shock failed 2 weeks out of warranty and no help from Triumph so I installed a custom built Works and it has served me well, I also installed Works tuned front springs to my weight. The engine temp sending unit failed along with all of the relays. My headlights have been replaced a couple of times, that job only took me about 10 minutes and the cooling fan seized and was replaced. I have the oil and filter changed between 3 and 5000 miles depending if I'm on a trip or not and only use the Triumph acing 4T oil, the valves adjusted when called for and the carbs synced when the valves are adjusted. I know what tires work best as I've tried most out there. I am fussy about chain and sprockets, tires, oil and filters and servicing of
                              my bikes. I'm an aggressive rider and ride about 15000 miles a year. I'm also an MSF instructor and am on the demo crew for Suzuki, Victory, Kymco scooters and past BMW. I had my beloved Trophy up for sale but have decided to keep her as for the money there is no better sport tourer out there.
                              Good luck
                              Steve Krenz in Minneapolis

                              I'm no judge or expert but there is a discussion of octane here

                              http://www.ehow.com/info_10015370_symptoms-low-octane-motorcycles.html

                              Which to my simple mind points to a different cause to your problem.
                              A2

                              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "A Deux" <adeux60@...> wrote:

                              > There is a hotter plug that NGK recommend (8) (see your plug condition first)
                              >
                              > This is when a complete run down of the air fuel train is desirable before you jump in and change anything.
                              >

                              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, ondrej sestak <ondrej_sestak@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Bob/Steve,
                              > > thank you for tips.
                              > > the spark plugs are NGK DPR9-EA9, as owner manual recommends.
                              > >
                              > > The airbox and spark plugs will be replaced for next season.
                              > >
                              > > BTW: the 91 octane unleaded fuel is real rarity here
                              > >
                              > > Cheers Ondrej
                              > >
                              > > You wrote:
                              > >
                              > > >The higher the octane the slower the burn. You may have to go to 91 or 92 octane for the bike to run properly. Just a thought!
                              > >
                              > > >I'd start first looking at the air cleaner and checking to see that
                              > > >nothing has taken up house in the air-box.
                              > >
                              > > >I'd also check to make sure the spark plug are of the proper heat range
                              > > >and that the ignition system is producing a nice fat proper spark.
                              > >

                              > >     .

                            • Samuel Crider
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                                Ondrej,

                                It's a huge PITA but if you haven't yet, your going to have to pull
                                the airbox. Replace
                                it with the OEM, it's a bit on the expensive side but requires no carb
                                rejetting. Which is worth the extra dough. Just remember to saw the
                                back cover in half. Then in the future you can deal with the beast
                                without pulling the entire carb bank. Also, do yourself a favor and
                                leave the throttle cable attached to the carbs. And remove it from the
                                throttle grip assembly. Really no use troubleshooting untill it's
                                replaced.

                                Mine had like issues which turned out to be a clogged element combined
                                with the carb needles bring set one notch too rich. She was fouling
                                all four plugs about every 700mi. Other than the above you could have
                                worn needles or clogs in the carb passages. Or bad o-rings on the
                                float assemblys where they insert into the carb bodys. But none of
                                this explains why it only appears in neutral. Which is unusual to say
                                the least. I would expect it to be rich at all times but even more
                                noticable at idle. As the burn rate is lower in the idle rpm range.
                                Here's a few thoughts that come to mind.

                                Mabee, there's some issue with the carb venting network. Like applying
                                a postive pressure to the fuel bowls only in netural? Causing a higher
                                rate of fuel feed. Or mabee oil migrating thru the breather hose into
                                the airbox and thru the carbs? Thus
                                producing smoke only in neutral. But this would be blue in color.
                                Check the drain lines and dump them if they still have the plugs in
                                them.

                                Best of luck,

                                Samuel Crider
                                96 BBBB PB
                                New Orleans

                                On 10/29/11, steve krenz <sdkrenz@...> wrote:
                                > The higher the octane the slower the burn. You may have to go to 91 or 92
                                > octane for the bike to run properly. Just a thought!
                                > Steve

                              • motoworld2001
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011