Head light modulators

  • stevec1200brg
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011
      Reading some old threads here, seems like, head light modulators are a good idea.

      But, I don't think there're not allowed in the UK!

      Do any of you chaps use them here in England?

      If yes, have you been stopped by police for using them? How did that go?

      Seems to me, nowadays, pedal cyclists are using flashy lights front and back and they're are subject to the same lighting rules as motorcyclists so, might traffic police be ignoring the flashy lights rule?

      I plan only use the modulators whilst filtering through stationary traffic, or where traffic might emerge from a junction where I have right of way. If I am stopped I'll most likely lie with…

      It was like that when I bought it

      I thought they all did that

      Never noticed that before

      And hope for a friendly caution.

      But, even it I do get let off, the next time I am out the same copper will pinch me for sure. So the modulator will have to come off the bike and I will have wasted my money.

      I would very much apreciate your views please gentlemen.

      Links

      https://www.kisantech.com/view_product_pop.php?product=P115W-D

      http://www.smidsy.biz/index.php
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011
        Lights must show a steady light:

        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/13/made

        Pedal cyclists have been exempted:

        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made

      • Samuel Crider
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011
          Interesting....That's to bad they are not allowed over the pond.
          Hopefully, that will change soon. I suspect the UK cagers are a much
          more hospitable breed than the usual stateside NASCAR wantabee's.
          Sadly, the cagers in my area are the worst I've ever encountered.

          Nevertheless, below is the link to the 130w model I installed. Another
          nice feature is you can just clip the photo eye and insert a toggle if
          desired. Which is much better than cager lights or street lights
          joging it on and off. It's either on or off, no if and's or but's.
          Plus if your wanting to revert back to the plain old stunning coolness
          you just switch the beast off.

          With hindsight, the only thing I'd do different is solder in the
          "universal harness". As to the supposed "dual H4 harness" that only
          uses one bulb connector to supply power. Which is a big no go. As the
          oem wire gauge is too small to safely carry the combined 10 amp lamp
          load thru only one lamp feed. I decided to parrallel both together
          which double's the wire gauge. And is much easier than installing
          three new larger wires from the relays to the modulator. It's a pita
          soldering under the nose but nothing a few beers and a bunch of shrink
          tubing won't smooth out.

          Enjoy the ride!

          Samuel

          signaldynamics.com

          On 10/18/11, Alec Gore <e-mail@...> wrote:
          > Lights must show a steady light:
          >
          > http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/13/made
          >
          > Pedal cyclists have been exempted:
          >
          > http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
          > agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
          > writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
          > topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
          > except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
          > minimum when replying.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Nick Baker private
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
            I have been wondering about this since pushbikes are so extremely visible to
            other vehicles because they are often fitted with flashing lights. Since so
            many bike accidents are caused by SMIDSY's it seems a no-brainer to me that
            motorcycles should also be allowed to use battery-operated flashing lights
            like those used by cyclists. I have wondered about engaging MAG or MCN in
            getting the regulations changed. However,

            The regulations state:

            'no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing
            light'

            i.e. if fitted to the rider it is not part of the vehicle - if we wore an
            armband (or helmet) carrying a white forward-facing flashing light would
            that comply with the regulations?

            The regulations also provide for the use of

            '13-2 c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp'

            Surely such a flashing lamp on a motorcycle would fall into this category,
            especially if it were not permanently attached to the bike.

            Thoughts anyone?

            Nick

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
              '13-2 c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp'

              Such as revolving yellows or LED yellows fitted to Highways vehicles or
              recovery vehicles, not for use when mobile, I believe.

              The best way to counteract SMIDSY's is by presenting your bike in such a

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
                I've been associated with motorcycles for over 70 years now and had
                never heard of a SMIDSY! If you haven't either, here's a link to a crash
                course that makes more sense than flashing lights or running lights and it
                costs nothing! In fact it looks like it could be fun! (;-)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

                Ed J.
                2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                1964 Bonneville TT Special
                Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                Cell - 321/795-4387

                '13-2 c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp'

                Such as revolving yellows or LED yellows fitted to Highways vehicles or
                recovery vehicles, not for use when mobile, I believe.

                The best way to counteract SMIDSY's is by presenting your bike in such a
                > position that likely targets get a good chance to see you. Any advanced
                > rider training will help with improving this skill.

                > There was a Dutch study that showed that three points of light is most
                > effective in getting other drivers' attention, e.g. a running light and
                two
                > fork-mounted additional running lights. Over bright or flashing lights
                don't
                > give other drivers a chance to accurately assess the speed and distance of
                > your bike.

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
                  On Behalf Of Alec Gore;
                  > There was a Dutch study that showed that three points of light is most
                  > effective in getting other drivers' attention, e.g. a running light and
                  two
                  > fork-mounted additional running lights.

                  This makes a lot of sense as well as it widens the front profile of
                  the bike and as the bike approaches the lights would obviously be getting
                  closer together. Combined with the YouTube maneuver should at least make the
                  cager wonder what was coming down the road! (;-)

                  Ed J.
                  2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                  1964 Bonneville TT Special
                  Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                  Cell - 321/795-4387

                • Miles French
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
                    I've noticed French bikers often ride with their hazard warning lights on (both indicators). I bet it's against the regulations but French police often seem to leave be unless something goes wrong. Anyone French?

                  • nort75mk3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
                      Please be sure to check your local laws before you add any extra bells &
                      whistles..your state may vary.

                      Tim

                      In a message dated 10/19/2011 8:04:40 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                      edljohnson2@... writes:

                      On Behalf Of Alec Gore;
                      > There was a Dutch study that showed that three points of light is most
                      > effective in getting other drivers' attention, e.g. a running light and
                      two
                      > fork-mounted additional running lights.

                      This makes a lot of sense as well as it widens the front profile of
                      the bike and as the bike approaches the lights would obviously be getting
                      closer together. Combined with the YouTube maneuver should at least make
                      the
                      cager wonder what was coming down the road! (;-)

                      Ed J.
                      2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                      1964 Bonneville TT Special
                      Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937
                      Cell - 321/795-4387

                      Get the free SPAMfighter here: _http://www.spamfighter.com/len_
                      (http://www.spamfighter.com/len)

                    • A Deux
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
                        Once we have fitted these to all cars perhaps bikers will learn not to speed towards cars stopped at junctions....just a thought...

                        A2

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

                        > On Behalf Of Alec Gore;
                        > > There was a Dutch study that showed that three points of light is most
                      • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 20, 2011
                          As my IAM (UK advanced riding/driving organisation) instructor said
                          repeatedly, "being in the right does not heal broken bones".

                          Shame so few people listen.

                          Martin

                          03 1200, '10 1400GTR

                          Bath - UK

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 23, 2011
                            Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

                            You have persuaded me not to buy the flashy lights – which means you chaps have probably saved me a fine and three points on my licence.

                            About that anti smidsy swerve on Youtube. I have never seen this manoeuvre performed by a motorcycle – and I have been driving for more than 20 years.

                            Does anyone here swerve about aproaching a junction?
                          • Samuel Crider
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 23, 2011
                              Here in NOLA you can forget about swerving about. Takes all of your
                              attention to avoid craters and the like. Not to mention the giant
                              SUV's would flatten you for simplly resisting warp speeds. I have
                              tried it before with typical results being a must pass at all cost
                              reaction from the savage cagers in the rear.

                              So far so good on the front and rear modulators. Seems like about 75%
                              take notice in the day time. Compaired to only about 20% during
                              unmodulated operations. Knock on wood.... hopefully the regulator
                              dosen't flipout. As the voltage output now has a steady swing with the
                              modulator switching. Which surely is going to at least cause a early
                              demise to my analog voltmeters needles movement.

                              If anybodys interested? It's possible to carefully gut the oem rear
                              tailight and install a $18 walmart multi led aftermarket unit. It's a
                              tight fit but is a huge improvent over the stock bulbs. Requires you
                              to carefully remove the red lense (hacksaw)on the sealed led unit. But
                              the end result is very nice, while retaining the oem fixture. Plus the
                              led unit remains totally weatherproof and sealed in epoxy. Which
                              should last forever with zero maintance.

                              Enjoy the ride!

                              Samuel Crider
                              96 BBBB PB
                              New Orleans

                              On 10/23/11, stevec1200brg <stevec1200brg@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks everyone for your kind advice.
                              >
                              > You have persuaded me not to buy the flashy lights – which means you chaps
                              > have probably saved me a fine and three points on my licence.
                              >
                              > About that anti smidsy swerve on Youtube. I have never seen this manoeuvre
                              > performed by a motorcycle – and I have been driving for more than 20 years.
                              >
                              > Does anyone here swerve about aproaching a junction?
                              >

                              > ------------------------------------
                              >
                              > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                              > agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                              > writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                              > topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                              > except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                              > minimum when replying.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • A Deux
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 23, 2011
                                I fell asleep in the first half of the video. Sorry now that I missed all the swerving - not.....

                                A2

                              • slovcan
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 23, 2011
                                  "Does anyone here swerve about aproaching a junction?"

                                  Yes, I do quite often. Also whenever I see a car with a left turn signal on facing me up ahead or waiting in the left turn lane across an upcoming intersection. I didn't realize it was an actual recognized maneuver, though, until I saw the video.

                                  By the way, the yellow balloons I put on the headlight bulbs seem to be helping as well. Definitely more noticeable day and night, so I've been told by a couple of fellow rider friends. They do reduce headlight range, but I see better on the wet and/or foggy nights.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Glenn

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 26, 2011
                                    One of my customers has reported today that his son got "taken in" in exactly the same way this week. Believing that a car would actually see him at a junction....

                                    Apparently he was found with his ankle by his neck. His ankle will never be an ankle again, whilst the compound fractures of his thigh are a relatively easy fix.

                                    I learnt my first lesson on a push bike - as I looked into the eyes of the driver of a car - he looked straight through me and pulled out.

                                    I don't care for whatever theory is espoused for safe riding (contradiction in terms) - if you assume that you have been seen and rely on that as a FACT then you are likely to become a statistic and won't be around to explain how clever you thought you were.

                                    Also it even takes two to have a near miss - I consider a near miss as a call for a change in my riding to never allow another to get another chance.

                                    Came along side a range rover last week end - obviously it has an option to manoeuvre in any direction. I never fought it as it came my way and I went with it. Sure I could have reserved my right to plough into its side....doh....

                                    If/when I stop posting then I have succumbed to my own excesses....
                                    A2

                                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

                                    > "Does anyone here swerve about aproaching a junction?"

                                  • Ron Bogucki
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 26, 2011
                                      The human brain processes only 10% of what the eye sees. Cage drivers really are in their own world. Assume you are invisible to them and you will live to ride another day.

                                      Ron Bogucki
                                      Snellville, GA

                                      Home 770-979-3140
                                      Cell 706-577-3717

                                      To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: adeux60@...
                                      Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:06:07 +0000
                                      Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Head light modulators

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 26, 2011
                                        I read somewhere that the conscious mind processes 7 random thoughts
                                        per second even when a person is totally concentrating on a single thing.
                                        My dad always told me to ride on the street as if every cager out
                                        there was trying to kill me! He wasn't far from wrong.