Re: Replacement Chain & sprockets.

  • daverider06
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
      I had one for years on my 96 1200 with no problems! (sold it last year though :(

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John Wilkinson" <davidjohn.wilkinson@...> wrote:

      > I just received replacement chain & sprockets for my 97 900 Trophy.
      > I went for the DID X Link and was surprised to find that it came with a spring split link - one of the horseshoe type.
      > This will make fitting a lot simpler but the Haynes manual states that these should never be used.
      > My gut instinct is that it will be OK but I thought I would ask the question here and see what the general view is.
      > Thanks in anticipation,
      > John.

    • John Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
        Thanks for the replies.
        As I said my gut feel is that it will be fine too - but being of a cautious
        nature I have picked up a soft link and will use that.
        More work but peace of mind!

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
          Hey John,
          Well, I ran an old fashion "master-link" chain all of my life, on
          all of my Hondas and Harleys. I only lost my chain one time. I went
          back and picked the chain up, reinstalled it with a new masterlink I
          kept on my right boot for just such emergencies. That bike put out 60
          horsepower stock, and it threw chains. You want to nearly double that
          figure with a set-up that promises catastrophic failure ? Not even
          thinking about that drive chain smacking something like your leg as
          it flies off. I don't think there is really a choice. Pick up one of
          the rivet type master link, and peen it down nicely. I get about 25K
          miles or more from a chain and sprocket. I may get more out of this
          chain, as I'm much older now and not such a hot-dogger (do people
          still say "hot-dogger?), my drive parts should last longer because I
          take it easy most of the time now-a-days. It's funny how we never
          have the time to do something right the first time, but we have the
          time to do it a second time !