Re: Need Aluminum Petcock knob

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2011
      I'm a bit confused here. Neither my plastic one NOR my aluminum one will push in when in PRIME - at least, not enough to feel. It DOES, however, depress by itself as it is turned to PRIME as if it is riding up a cam ramp forcing it to depress. A few times I let it run dry before switching to RESERVE, then moved it from RUN (or whatever position that is) to PRIME and pressed in (could not feel it depress at all) and then when the engine smoothed out switched to RESERVE. It does operate very smoothly and I can certainly feel the detent in the RUN position.

      So, is mine right, wrong or weird?

      Thanks,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve, You forgot to press in the fuel knob when turning it to prime.

      > "stevec1200brg" wrote:
      > BTW my plastic fuel tap has broken and it's only a few months old!the valve turns sweetly and I am not ham fisted

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
        Hi Glenn, You are right, it rides up a cam when going into prime. Pushing it in helps it ride up the cam. That weak plastic knob needs all the help it can get.
        Greg

        It DOES, however, depress by itself as it is turned to PRIME as if it is riding up a cam ramp forcing it to depress. I can certainly feel the detent in the RUN position.
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
          Thanks for the reassurance, Greg.

          Cheers,
          Glenn

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

          > Hi Glenn, You are right, it rides up a cam when going into prime. Pushing it in helps it ride up the cam. That weak plastic knob needs all the help it can get.
          > Greg
          >
          > "slovcan" wrote:
          > It DOES, however, depress by itself as it is turned to PRIME as if it is riding up a cam ramp forcing it to depress. I can certainly feel the detent in the RUN position.
          > So, is mine right, wrong or weird?
          > Thanks,
          > Glenn

        • stevec1200brg
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
            I don't think I have been allowed on to the T300.de forum.

            they asked for my telephone phone number for security reasons

            but, who's security! Theirs or mine?

            I entered an obviously fake number 01234 567890
          • Triumphmotorcycleman Triple
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
              Hi Stevec,

              I don't think that the fake phone number will do any good but maybe it's worth the try.
              The reason they (Jochen) asks for a phone number is only for veryfying purpose, so that he can check whether or not you're not just "some guy" messing about.
              Mind you, most of the members are German, so it's easy to get in touch with them when necessary.

              Can't you block the phone number after registration?

              We'll see what happens, meanwhile i'll post a message and ask if there are still petcocks left.

              Tritonrat from this group had contacts with the supplier of the petcocks, don't know if he succeeded

              Koos

            • A Deux
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
                Ok hammy but have you used the self tapping screw that Triumph are currently selling as a replacement to the small threaded bolt as - for me - this has been a vast improvement as the screw takes some of the load off
                and I greased the tapered barrel
                A2

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
                  You're right Koo – the fake phone number probably won't cut it.

                  I would be delighted if you might ask for me. Thank you in advance.

                  If anyone's interested I've figured out how the tap got broken.

                  Most likely it was when, I put the tank down on the bench, of course, I'd placed a large socket under the rear tank bracket to hold the weight off the cock – but, later on, I needed that socket (to turn the crank). I didn't have anything else within arms reach to replace the socket so I rested the tank (and knob)down gently on to a folded blanket. I am guessing the weight was too much for the knob.

                  I am confident that I didn't turn the knob too forcefully or the wrong way or fail to press inwards for Prime. Or, even if I did, it's not like I'm the only idiot here is it?

                  To my way of thinking the knob should be Aluminium. End of.
                • Triumphmotorcycleman Triple
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Hi Steve,

                    I've contacted the right man in the right place, at the moment there are 3 available, 2 black and one plain alloy with a layer of transparent coating or whatever you might call it.
                    To be honest, Walter replied to my question on the forum and it's not exactly clear to me what he was trying to explain.
                    Mind you, i live 30 miles from germany but never learned the german language at school.

                    I've ordered one black petcock for myself, and asked the man (Walter) for a photo so i can send it to you by mail.
                    I don't know about the price, i reacon about 30-35 euro's excl. shipment but that's not important yet i think.

                    Where do you live, shipment to the U.K. is faster and quicker than to the U.S.A. i suppose

                    Bye for now, when there's some news to tell you'll be the first to know.

                    Regards,

                    Koos

                  • John F
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2011
                      Hey Steve and everyone else looking for an aluminum petcock knob,
                      I'm in the market for a 1200 motor and gear box. Without the aluminum knob, your engines are surely about to fail. Sell me your motor before it's too late! And Steve, since you have a 1200 BRG (the fastest color with the secretly modified power plant), I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

                      I'm here for you,

                      John F
                      Minneapolis
                      96 Trophy 1200 BRG
                      56,750 miles

                      2012 Bonneville T-100
                      Phantom Black and Graphite
                      7 miles
                    • Triumphmotorcycleman Triple
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                        Example of the German petcock knobs, maybe there's one left after Steve and I have one
                        http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/987/cimg2666wcc3.jpg

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                          Guys,

                          Who might i be able to get hold of to grab one of these,
                          and how much are they? I have a friend who is a CNC operator that may be
                          able to produce these in the UK, since there seems to be a bit of demand
                          for them....

                          Would love to pick one up as a template...

                          Cheers

                          Paul

                          On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 06:35:52 -0700 (PDT), Triumphmotorcycleman
                          Triple wrote:

                          > Example of the German petcock knobs, maybe there's one
                          left after Steve and I have one

                          http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/987/cimg2666wcc3.jpg [1]

                          Links:
                          ------
                          [1]
                          http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/987/cimg2666wcc3.jpg
                          [2]
                          mailto:triumphtriple900@...?subject=Re%3A%20Need%20Aluminum%20Petcock%20knob
                          [3]
                          mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Need%20Aluminum%20Petcock%20knob
                          [4]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdDdmZjE5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEbXNnSWQDODAxMjQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzE3NzM1MzU3?act=reply|+|amp|+|messageNum=80124
                          [5]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaGtybnQzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzE3NzM1MzU3
                          [6]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/message/79443;_ylc=X3oDMTM1N2o4NWZlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEbXNnSWQDODAxMjQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzE3NzM1MzU3BHRwY0lkAzc5NDQz
                          [7]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOHRxdmhtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTMxNzczNTM1Nw--?o=6
                          [8]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbmVvbDIwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEzMTc3MzUzNTc-
                          [9]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOW10MjJ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMzE3NzM1MzU3
                          [10]
                          http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o5g7ept/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705126259:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1317742557/L=caaee056-ee8d-11e0-ab9e-63c8d142357f/B=IyfYBEoGYmA-/J=1317735357967309/K=nFSpxoj7TtEiVYrEWELCAQ/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj
                          [11]
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjaHBkODc0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEzMTc3MzUzNTc-
                          [12]
                          mailto:TriumphTrophy-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=ChangeDeliveryFormat:Traditional
                          [13]
                          mailto:TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=EmailDelivery:Digest
                          [14]
                          mailto:TriumphTrophy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe
                          [15]
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • JackM
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 5, 2011
                            Since I have ceased making the knobs, I'm willing to send you the engineering plans. Not a napkin sketch, mind you, but the original, professional drafts.

                            I'll send them for free and no future costs involved UNLESS you make them in quantity and sell for a profit. Then we'll have to talk.

                            Let me know if you're interested.

                            Jack Martin
                            Placerville, CA
                            (Hangtown USA)