Re: [TriumphTrophy] SPARE 900 - just more that rattly

  • Adeux
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
      I couldn't wait for the weekend and pulled the alternator last night and was
      disappointed to find that the rubbers were about 90% ok and i think not
      capable of such a large noise

      I may drop the engine this weekend as I feel particularly bored and am even
      tempted to carry on working....resist...resist

      A2

      Greg Andrews-3 wrote:

      > Hi A2,
      > The lumps of aluminum could just be left over junk from the machining
      > process when it was made. The bits found a place to settle in and never
      > moved. My '95 900 needed a new sprag and crankshaft. When I dug into the
      > engine and replaced them both with used parts, I also found aluminum
      > lumps. The engine is back together and running fine.
      >
      > As for the bottom end being gone. Maybe not. From the sound of the engine
      > I thought a rod bearing had gone out on my '96 900. I talked with my local
      > mechanic. He told me to change the alternator rubber cushions. I did, and
      > the awful rod knocking sound was gone.
      >
      > I don't know what you mean about shells and a tenner each (x6) plus
      > gaskets.
      >
      > When I rebuilt the '95 900 engine I only bought a new head gasket, rings,
      > and head bolts. Other gaskets weren't necessary.
      > Hope this helps,
      > Greg Andrews
      >
      > Adeux wrote:
      > I picked up a spare 900 with an engine I was told not to run...
      > I found some 1/16th" lumps of aluminium. The internals seem to be coated
      > in an iron oxide film that rubs off.
      > So the PO told me the bottom end had gone and I am coming to the same
      > conclusion (60,000 miles)
      >
      > So I spoke to my local shop and he reckons the shells are about a tenner
      > each (x6) £60 plus gaskets bike.
      > A2

      -----
      A2
      Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
    • Adeux
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        I couldn't wait for the weekend and pulled the alternator last night and was
        disappointed to find that the rubbers were about 90% ok and i think not
        capable of such a large noise

        I may drop the engine this weekend as I feel particularly bored and am even
        tempted to carry on working....resist...resist

        I pulled the other side casings too and pleased to not find any more bits.

        A2

        -----
        A2
        Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:

          > I couldn't wait for the weekend and pulled the alternator last night and was
          > disappointed to find that the rubbers were about 90% ok and i think not
          > capable of such a large noise
          >
          > I may drop the engine this weekend as I feel particularly bored and am even
          > tempted to carry on working....resist...resist
          >
          > A2
          >

          > Greg Andrews-3 wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi A2,
          > > The lumps of aluminum could just be left over junk from the machining
          > > process when it was made. The bits found a place to settle in and never
          > > moved. My '95 900 needed a new sprag and crankshaft. When I dug into the
          > > engine and replaced them both with used parts, I also found aluminum
          > > lumps. The engine is back together and running fine.
          > >
          > > As for the bottom end being gone. Maybe not. From the sound of the engine
          > > I thought a rod bearing had gone out on my '96 900. I talked with my local
          > > mechanic. He told me to change the alternator rubber cushions. I did, and
          > > the awful rod knocking sound was gone.
          > >
          > > I don't know what you mean about shells and a tenner each (x6) plus
          > > gaskets.
          > >
          > > When I rebuilt the '95 900 engine I only bought a new head gasket, rings,
          > > and head bolts. Other gaskets weren't necessary.
          > > Hope this helps,
          > > Greg Andrews
          > >
          > > Adeux wrote:
          > > I picked up a spare 900 with an engine I was told not to run...
          > > I found some 1/16th" lumps of aluminium. The internals seem to be coated
          > > in an iron oxide film that rubs off.
          > > So the PO told me the bottom end had gone and I am coming to the same
          > > conclusion (60,000 miles)
          > >
          > > So I spoke to my local shop and he reckons the shells are about a tenner
          > > each (x6) £60 plus gaskets bike.
          > > A2
          > >

          > -----
          > A2
          > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
          > --

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            Hi A2, You pulled the alternator and inspected the rubber cush drive. Did you replace the $2.00 rubber cush drive, or just look at it? It is such a pain in the rump putting the alternator back in (pulling the carbs) that I'd at least replace that cheap part while I was in there.
            Good luck on dropping the engine.
            Greg Andrews

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
              Green bike - Well I must be lucky, I pulled the alternator without
              disturbing anything else. And it is greased up and back together with the
              old rubbers. Admittedly the rubbers are on my bucket list if I find a
              reasonable solution to the noise.

              Strangely I may be taking my red bike apart next as on the green bike the
              rubber cup was bolted through the spline whilst on the red bike it was
              floating (missing bolt or different design)

              Thank you for you valued comments
              A2