Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Just bought a Brand New..well 84 miles..Trophy 900 1991!

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2011
      John:

      That would mean it only goes to 88MPH....surely even a BRG is that fast!

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200 (the fastest color)
      Jacksonville, FL / Charleston, SC

      Message 2 of 20 , May 4, 2011
        Hey Bonnie,
        DON't be afraid of that sprag clutch, just make sure you have a
        good strong battery. There's plenty of high mileage Trophies out
        there to prove the reliability of these things. If my last name was
        "Forbes", I suppose I'd have my mechanic just swarm on the bike to
        have it in brand new condition. Then I'd take her for a little spin,
        and add it to the museum. Lucky for me, I'm just Poppa. I"D start
        looking for some decent 4 piston brakes, and drilled rotors for that
        front end.....just a thought.!
        On May 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, bonnietiler82 wrote:

        > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what
        > to do with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use
        > it" it's value is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
        > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the
        > damned Sprag clutch will let me down at some stage!
        >
        > Bonnietiler

      • Wm Snyder
        Message 3 of 20 , May 4, 2011
          Hi all,
          I will definitely second what poppa Jack has just said. I am probably one of the chief alarmists about sprag clutch failure. Mine went, (or should I say that I broke it) at around 50k miles, and I'm at around 94k now and the second one is still going strong. Jack's caveat about the battery is the key. Always keep a strong battery and you probably won't ever need to replace the sprag clutch. I can pop in a new battery in under 10 minutes, but the sprag clutch took me 3 days.
          Also, If you've been working on old Meriden Triumphs all your life (like I had), don't let the seeming complexity of the Hickley bikes scare you. They're easier to wrench on than the old school triumphs. The fasteners are better, the parts fit better, and you won't be spending a large precentage of the rest of your life removing baked-on gasket material with razor blades and cold chisels.
          You'll find the bike a joy to ride and to maintain (do invest in the factor manual) and she will give you many years and miles of yeoman service. With mine approaching 100k, she is showing no sign of becoming tired, using more oil, or of any other geriatric motorcycle malady.  Just keep her clean, change the fluids when you should, and sometimes pat her tank and say nice things to her after a long ride.
          Bill

             DON't be afraid of that sprag clutch, just make sure you have a
          good strong battery. There's plenty of high mileage Trophies out
          there to prove the reliability of these things. If my last name was
          "Forbes", I suppose I'd have my mechanic just swarm on the bike to
          have it in brand new condition. Then I'd take her for a little spin,
          and add it to the museum. Lucky for me, I'm just Poppa. I"D start
          looking for some decent 4 piston brakes, and drilled rotors for that
          front end.....just a thought.!
          On May 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, bonnietiler82 wrote:

          > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what
          > to do with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use
          > it" it's value is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
          > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the
          > damned Sprag clutch will let me down at some stage!
          >
          > Bonnietiler

          List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • bonnietiler82
          Message 4 of 20 , May 4, 2011
            I'm Just uploading some pics into the photo section
            I had a 1200 91 Trophy..oh when Methuselah was a young man, and really enjoyed it, not had one for a while now.
            I spotted this on a well known auction web page..ahem..very badly listed...It was entitled.." TRIUMPH Blue Collectable" not surprisingly he had few bids, I won it for not much more than £2000 or maybe $3200, the guy who had it had bought it from the daughter of the original owner, who had fallen ill not long after buying it.
            It really is untouched
            I immediately threw away his "Thrift Shop" battery and put in my AGM battery which shows 13.4v fully charged.
            The brakes are as you say a little marginal
            the only problem is that the carb tickover adjuster doesn't seem to want to move and it stalls without the choke.
            I'll keep you posted
            Many thanks for the early replies
            Bonnietiler
            (As in Bonnie..the bike that I used to own and Tiler as in the job that wrecked my knees!)

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Wm Snyder <snydhack@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I will definitely second what poppa Jack has just said. I am probably one of the chief alarmists about sprag clutch failure. Mine went, (or should I say that I broke it) at around 50k miles, and I'm at around 94k now and the second one is still going strong. Jack's caveat about the battery is the key. Always keep a strong battery and you probably won't ever need to replace the sprag clutch. I can pop in a new battery in under 10 minutes, but the sprag clutch took me 3 days.
            > Also, If you've been working on old Meriden Triumphs all your life (like I had), don't let the seeming complexity of the Hickley bikes scare you. They're easier to wrench on than the old school triumphs. The fasteners are better, the parts fit better, and you won't be spending a large precentage of the rest of your life removing baked-on gasket material with razor blades and cold chisels.
            > You'll find the bike a joy to ride and to maintain (do invest in the factor manual) and she will give you many years and miles of yeoman service. With mine approaching 100k, she is showing no sign of becoming tired, using more oil, or of any other geriatric motorcycle malady.  Just keep her clean, change the fluids when you should, and sometimes pat her tank and say nice things to her after a long ride.
            > Bill

          • Jason Hart
            Message 5 of 20 , May 4, 2011
              Hello
              Are we talking about starter failure? This happened on my 1994 Triumph Trident 900 - and yes at the time my understanding of battery maintenance was weak - storage was cold and lack of proper use of the PRI when starting after a period of storage caused me to turn over the bike most likely longer than ideal to start.  When (about 40,000 km) the starter went , it involved getting a tool shipped from England to my local dealer in Toronto to mill out the engine to accept the slightly larger starter (changed in 1995 I believe). My 855 block has an access plate so if in future it goes I can do this work myself - I believe 1994 and earlier versions has this feature which was later changed.

              Since then I've made sure my battery is fully charged - checked and topped up with distilled water regularly during the riding season - replaced when needed. Recently went to a sealed unit so this part should be easier. So far so good with now 92,000 km - turns over fine.

              Jason

                 DON't be afraid of that sprag clutch, just make sure you have a
              good strong battery. There's plenty of high mileage Trophies out
              there to prove the reliability of these things. If my last name was
              "Forbes", I suppose I'd have my mechanic just swarm on the bike to
              have it in brand new condition. Then I'd take her for a little spin,
              and add it to the museum. Lucky for me, I'm just Poppa. I"D start
              looking for some decent 4 piston brakes, and drilled rotors for that
              front end.....just a thought.!
              On May 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, bonnietiler82 wrote:

              > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what
              > to do with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use
              > it" it's value is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
              > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the
              > damned Sprag clutch will let me down at some stage!
              >
              > Bonnietiler

              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 4, 2011
                And here I was thinking you were a hot blonde Welsh lady/singer ;{)> (I just got done tiling my bathroom, OUCH! wish I could a' payed somebody to do it for me, so thankful I'm not in your line o' work.)
                Spray a little WD-40 on that tickover adjuster and let it sit over night. That always frees mine up when it gets sticky.

                I'm Just uploading some pics into the photo section
                I had a 1200 91 Trophy..oh when Methuselah was a young man, and really enjoyed it, not had one for a while now.
                I spotted this on a well known auction web page..ahem..very badly listed...It was entitled.." TRIUMPH Blue Collectable" not surprisingly he had few bids, I won it for not much more than £2000 or maybe $3200, the guy who had it had bought it from the daughter of the original owner, who had fallen ill not long after buying it.
                It really is untouched
                I immediately threw away his "Thrift Shop" battery and put in my AGM battery which shows 13.4v fully charged.
                The brakes are as you say a little marginal
                the only problem is that the carb tickover adjuster doesn't seem to want to move and it stalls without the choke.
                I'll keep you posted
                Many thanks for the early replies
                Bonnietiler
                (As in Bonnie..the bike that I used to own and Tiler as in the job that wrecked my knees!)

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Wm Snyder <snydhack@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I will definitely second what poppa Jack has just said. I am probably one of the chief alarmists about sprag clutch failure. Mine went, (or should I say that I broke it) at around 50k miles, and I'm at around 94k now and the second one is still going strong. Jack's caveat about the battery is the key. Always keep a strong battery and you probably won't ever need to replace the sprag clutch. I can pop in a new battery in under 10 minutes, but the sprag clutch took me 3 days.
                > Also, If you've been working on old Meriden Triumphs all your life (like I had), don't let the seeming complexity of the Hickley bikes scare you. They're easier to wrench on than the old school triumphs. The fasteners are better, the parts fit better, and you won't be spending a large precentage of the rest of your life removing baked-on gasket material with razor blades and cold chisels.
                > You'll find the bike a joy to ride and to maintain (do invest in the factor manual) and she will give you many years and miles of yeoman service. With mine approaching 100k, she is showing no sign of becoming tired, using more oil, or of any other geriatric motorcycle malady.  Just keep her clean, change the fluids when you should, and sometimes pat her tank and say nice things to her after a long ride.
                > Bill

              • Wm Snyder
                Message 7 of 20 , May 4, 2011
                  Yep, Mine's a 96, and involved removing the engine, flipping it over (the engine), splitting the cases, pulling out the transmission gear cluster, then dismantling the alternator drive and removing the sprag clutch. How I wished for the access hatch!
                  By the way, if anybody has to do this, one of the books...Haynes? Factory?...not sure which....tells you to dismantle the engine's top end.  I don't know why and you definietly don't have to do that.
                  What happens to the S.C. when you try to start the engine with a low battery is this:

                  A) The engine is timed so that the spark happens slightly before the piston reaches top dead center. By the time the spark touches off the mixture and the resulting force reaches the piston's crown, the piston has just passed TDC and the force pushes the piston downward, which turns the engine.

                  B) With a low battery, the engine is being turned too slowly. When the spark touches off the mixture, the force of the combusting mixture reaches the piston's crown BEFORE the piston reaches TDC, forcing the piston back-and-down the wrong way while the starter is still trying to push it up-and-over the right way.

                  C) The sprag-clutch is like Mr. Bill on Saturday Night Live and screams Oooooh Noooooo! while he's being mooshed by Mr. Sluggo (the engine) and  Mr. Hand (the starter).

                  Bill

                  Are we talking about starter failure? This happened on my 1994 Triumph Trident 900 - and yes at the time my understanding of battery maintenance was weak - storage was cold and lack of proper use of the PRI when starting after a period of storage caused me to turn over the bike most likely longer than ideal to start.  When (about 40,000 km) the starter went , it involved getting a tool shipped from England to my local dealer in Toronto to mill out the engine to accept the slightly larger starter (changed in 1995 I believe). My 855 block has an access plate so if in future it goes I can do this work myself - I believe 1994 and earlier versions has this feature which was later changed.

                  Since then I've made sure my battery is fully charged - checked and topped up with distilled water regularly during the riding season - replaced when needed. Recently went to a sealed unit so this part should be easier. So far so good with now 92,000 km - turns over fine.

                  Jason

                     DON't be afraid of that sprag clutch, just make sure you have a
                  good strong battery. There's plenty of high mileage Trophies out
                  there to prove the reliability of these things. If my last name was
                  "Forbes", I suppose I'd have my mechanic just swarm on the bike to
                  have it in brand new condition. Then I'd take her for a little spin,
                  and add it to the museum. Lucky for me, I'm just Poppa. I"D start
                  looking for some decent 4 piston brakes, and drilled rotors for that
                  front end.....just a thought.!
                  On May 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, bonnietiler82 wrote:

                  > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what
                  > to do with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use
                  > it" it's value is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
                  > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the
                  > damned Sprag clutch will let me down at some stage!
                  >
                  > Bonnietiler

                  List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                  Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • nort75mk3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4, 2011
                    My 96' trident had it's sprag fixed to the tune of $1200.00 plus the $200
                    part. Too much timing advance in this case isn't a good thing ............

                    Tim

                    From: Jack Byers <_jackbyers@..._
                    (mailto:jackbyers@...) >
                    miles..Trophy 900 1991!
                    To: _TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)
                    Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 9:25 AM

                    Hey Bonnie,
                    DON't be afraid of that sprag clutch, just make sure you have a
                    good strong battery. There's plenty of high mileage Trophies out
                    there to prove the reliability of these things. If my last name was
                    "Forbes", I suppose I'd have my mechanic just swarm on the bike to
                    have it in brand new condition. Then I'd take her for a little spin,
                    and add it to the museum. Lucky for me, I'm just Poppa. I"D start
                    looking for some decent 4 piston brakes, and drilled rotors for that
                    front end.....just a thought.!
                    On May 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, bonnietiler82 wrote:

                    > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what
                    > to do with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use
                    > it" it's value is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
                    > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the
                    > damned Sprag clutch will let me down at some stage!
                    >
                    > Bonnietiler

                    List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add

                    Post message: _TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com_
                    (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)
                    Subscribe: _TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
                    (mailto:TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)
                    (mailto:TriumphTrophy-owner@yahoogroups.com)

                  • caffertyd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4, 2011
                      Does this Sprag Clutch Horror apply to all engines or just the earlier ones, I have a 2002 BBBB, as I'm a bit worried now as I've got 40k on the clock :(

                      Daz

                      From: Jack Byers <_jackbyers@..._
                      (mailto:jackbyers@...) >
                      miles..Trophy 900 1991!
                      To: _TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)
                      Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 9:25 AM

                      Hey Bonnie,
                      DON't be afraid of that sprag clutch, just make sure you have a
                      good strong battery. There's plenty of high mileage Trophies out
                      there to prove the reliability of these things. If my last name was
                      "Forbes", I suppose I'd have my mechanic just swarm on the bike to
                      have it in brand new condition. Then I'd take her for a little spin,
                      and add it to the museum. Lucky for me, I'm just Poppa. I"D start
                      looking for some decent 4 piston brakes, and drilled rotors for that
                      front end.....just a thought.!
                      On May 3, 2011, at 4:41 PM, bonnietiler82 wrote:

                      > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what
                      > to do with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use
                      > it" it's value is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
                      > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the
                      > damned Sprag clutch will let me down at some stage!
                      >
                      > Bonnietiler

                      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                      agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                      writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics,
                      and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for
                      personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when
                      replying.

                      Post message: _TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com_
                      (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)
                      Subscribe: _TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
                      (mailto:TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)
                      (mailto:TriumphTrophy-owner@yahoogroups.com)

                    • Adeux
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4, 2011
                        Part it out before you drop it - we could all do with a few old spares -
                        can't be worth much tho!.....LOL
                        A2

                        bonnietiler82 wrote:

                        > Now, having been and gone and done it, I'm getting uncertain what to do
                        > with this nos bike. Certain people have said ..."Don't use it" it's value
                        > is in the low mileage, others quite the reverse.
                        > The temptation is just to run the thing...but I know that the damned Sprag
                        > clutch will let me down at some stage!
                        >
                        > Bonnietiler

                        -----
                        A2
                        Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                      • Keith
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                          Before I heard the horror stories about SPRAG clutch I often tried to start my 1998 Sprint Executive (same engine as a Trophy BBBS) with a low battery, sometimes so low that the engine hardly turned. I have often tried to start my 2003 Trophy BBBB with a low battery, again sometimes so low it would hardly turn the engine, let alone spin it . I had the Sprint for three years and I've had the Trophy for five years. Neither SPRAG clutch failed so maybe I have been very lucky.

                          Keith

                          London

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                            When I had all of my starting problems I paralleled my battery to my car
                            battery with jumper cables to insure that I had adequate starting power at
                            all times. Easy to do and saves your bikes battery.

                            Ed J.
                            EdLJohnson2@...
                            2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
                            1964 Triumph Bonneville
                            Indian Harbour Beach, FL

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                              One of three choices:-

                              1. Sell it on before you let it fall over in a low speed maneuver. (Has anyone here NOT dropped their Trophy that way - perhaps it should be our next poll?)

                              2 Store it and treat it as a museum piece.

                              3 Ride it and enjoy it (unless you paid big money then 1 or 2 above must apply.) If you ride it you WILL drop it one day!
                            • John F
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                                Bob, Bob, Bob,
                                I'll type this slowly so try to follow along.

                                The flux capacitor opens a time portal that will only function for an object having the mass and geometry of a DeLorean DMC 12 traveling at 88 mph.

                                The British Racing Green Triumph requires no flux capacitor. As the bike approaches redline in sixth gear, it reaches the speed of light, gains infinite mass, and is propelled forward or backward in time, depending upon the original direction of travel.

                                Nobody has ever been able to actually record the speed of the bike, as radar guns get fouled up by the stretching of the space-time continuum.

                                In fact, your account of the last Dragon Raid was so interesting, I decided to visit it last week. The flash you saw on that Friday was me, not the cameras.

                                Well, I'm glad we cleared that up. See you soon! Or before!

                                John F
                                Minneapolis
                                53,875 miles
                                I escaped and I ain't never goin' back.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                  Well Darn John, you should have let me know you were close and we could
                                  have shared tipped a few pints to help clear things up!

                                  Actually, did see a flash last Sunday evening on my way to Charleston by
                                  one of the Automatic photo enhanced radar systems......I got pulled over
                                  last we and thought I was going to get a performance certificate....I
                                  knew where the cameras and radar are sitting at Mile Post 22 on I-95 in
                                  Ridgeland, SC so I slowed down to 60 in the 70MPH zone, As I was going
                                  past the camera I "Smiled and Waved"....got pulled over about a mile and
                                  a half later. The LEO said he pulled me because I was going slower than
                                  the other traffic. He was concerned that I might have been "Imparred".
                                  After I had to walk the white line, he asked why I was driving slow on
                                  I-95...my response was I didn't want a performance certificate in the
                                  mail...

                                  He was trying to bait me...

                                  Bob

                                  On 5/6/2011 10:11 PM, John F wrote:

                                  > Bob, Bob, Bob,
                                  > I'll type this slowly so try to follow along.
                                  >
                                  > The flux capacitor opens a time portal that will only function for an
                                  > object having the mass and geometry of a DeLorean DMC 12 traveling at
                                  > 88 mph.
                                  >
                                  > The British Racing Green Triumph requires no flux capacitor. As the
                                  > bike approaches redline in sixth gear, it reaches the speed of light,
                                  > gains infinite mass, and is propelled forward or backward in time,
                                  > depending upon the original direction of travel.
                                  >
                                  > Nobody has ever been able to actually record the speed of the bike, as
                                  > radar guns get fouled up by the stretching of the space-time continuum.
                                  >
                                  > In fact, your account of the last Dragon Raid was so interesting, I
                                  > decided to visit it last week. The flash you saw on that Friday was
                                  > me, not the cameras.
                                  >
                                  > Well, I'm glad we cleared that up. See you soon! Or before!
                                  >
                                  > John F
                                  > Minneapolis
                                  > 53,875 miles
                                  > I escaped and I ain't never goin' back.
                                  >
                                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:TriumphTrophy%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert <apsllp@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > John:
                                  > >
                                  > > That would mean it only goes to 88MPH....surely even a BRG is that fast!
                                  > >
                                  > > Bob Clark
                                  > > 01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200 (the fastest color)
                                  > > Jacksonville, FL / Charleston, SC

                                • JackM
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                    That's all well and good in theory...

                                    However, in reality, we know that thirsty 4-banger will run out of fuel long before it achieves enough speed to stretch the STC.

                                    Jack
                                    Placerville, CA
                                    (Hangtown USA)

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                      That used to be the case, Jack, but ever since I got this really keen aluminum fuel selector knob, the aerodynamics of the bike improved enough to hit light speed after just 2 miles!