Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [TriumphTrophy] No smoke - no fire

Expand Messages
  • john tabberer
    Hi A2, is your missfire between about 2750 and 3000 rpm?   Are you sure it s a missfire.. the 900 trophy is known to have a bit of roughness at these
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi A2,
      is your 'missfire' between about 2750 and 3000 rpm?
       
      Are you sure it's a missfire..
      the 900 trophy is known to have a bit of roughness at these speeds. it's related to having three cylinders and a ballancer shaft... which don't quite work at these speeds.  this engine speed range seems to set up a bit of sympathetic vibration...


      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:
      >
      > Just hope that slight misfire I got at 2000 odd revs when I got her really
      > hot is nothing...
      >
      > A2


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Adeux
      It s a full on misfire...which seems to respond to opening the throttle. I am working through the carbs and electricals until I rule them out then I am
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        It's a full on misfire...which seems to respond to opening the throttle. I am
        working through the carbs and electricals until I rule them out then I am
        guessing on the pickup due to changing from a gill to a pvl igniter and the
        link to heat. Found one ht lead not as well fitted as it could be and the
        carbs were full of crud too. Worked till 10 decanting fuel etc will put it
        back together tomorrow am as last day off and go for another hot slow run if
        I can find some traffic.

        Looking at the clutch for a future project as feel there is a bearing or
        plate that could be healthier.

        A2





        john tabberer wrote:
        >
        > Hi A2,
        > is your 'missfire' between about 2750 and 3000 rpm?
        >  
        > Are you sure it's a missfire..
        > the 900 trophy is known to have a bit of roughness at these speeds. it's
        > related to having three cylinders and a ballancer shaft... which don't
        > quite work at these speeds.  this engine speed range seems to set up a bit
        > of sympathetic vibration...
        >
        >
        > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Just hope that slight misfire I got at 2000 odd revs when I got her
        >> really
        >> hot is nothing...
        >>
        >> A2
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        >
        >


        -----
        A2
        Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
        --
        View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31519590.html
        Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
      • worowsky
        Adeux check the tank... maybe some water still around and always try on full tank otherwise, after 1/2, is enough to band the bike turning to have fuel
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          Adeux check the tank... maybe some water still around and always try
          on full tank otherwise, after 1/2, is enough to band the bike turning
          to have fuel starvation.

          trophy is a mix of issues that all give the same result ...MISFIRE..


          On 1 May 2011, at 23:09, Adeux wrote:

          >
          > It's a full on misfire...which seems to respond to opening the
          > throttle. I am
          > working through the carbs and electricals until I rule them out then
          > I am
          > guessing on the pickup due to changing from a gill to a pvl igniter
          > and the
          > link to heat. Found one ht lead not as well fitted as it could be
          > and the
          > carbs were full of crud too. Worked till 10 decanting fuel etc will
          > put it
          > back together tomorrow am as last day off and go for another hot
          > slow run if
          > I can find some traffic.
          >
          > Looking at the clutch for a future project as feel there is a
          > bearing or
          > plate that could be healthier.
          >
          > A2
          >
          > john tabberer wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi A2,
          > > is your 'missfire' between about 2750 and 3000 rpm?
          > >
          > > Are you sure it's a missfire..
          > > the 900 trophy is known to have a bit of roughness at these
          > speeds. it's
          > > related to having three cylinders and a ballancer shaft... which
          > don't
          > > quite work at these speeds. this engine speed range seems to set
          > up a bit
          > > of sympathetic vibration...
          > >
          > >
          > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Just hope that slight misfire I got at 2000 odd revs when I got her
          > >> really
          > >> hot is nothing...
          > >>
          > >> A2
          > >
          > >
          > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          > -----
          > A2
          > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
          > --
          > View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31519590.html
          > Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
          >
          >
          >



          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Adeux
          Well stated - trophy is a mix of issues that all give the same result ...MISFIRE.. The tank was and will remain cruddy but the fine stuff in the carbs I hope
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            Well stated -

            trophy is a mix of issues that all give the same result ...MISFIRE..

            The tank was and will remain cruddy but the fine stuff in the carbs I hope
            are the culprits. We shall see....no water as I have kept the bike
            covered, on it's side stand, with fresh fuel and it checked out when I shook
            out the tank and removed the fittings.

            A2


            On 1 May 2011, at 23:09, Adeux wrote:

            >
            > It's a full on misfire...which seems to respond to opening the
            > throttle. I am
            > working through the carbs and electricals until I rule them out then
            > I am
            > guessing on the pickup due to changing from a gill to a pvl igniter
            > and the
            > link to heat. Found one ht lead not as well fitted as it could be
            > and the
            > carbs were full of crud too. Worked till 10 decanting fuel etc will
            > put it
            > back together tomorrow am as last day off and go for another hot
            > slow run if
            > I can find some traffic.
            >
            > Looking at the clutch for a future project as feel there is a
            > bearing or
            > plate that could be healthier.
            >
            > A2
            >
            > john tabberer wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi A2,
            > > is your 'missfire' between about 2750 and 3000 rpm?
            > >
            > > Are you sure it's a missfire..
            > > the 900 trophy is known to have a bit of roughness at these
            > speeds. it's
            > > related to having three cylinders and a ballancer shaft... which
            > don't
            > > quite work at these speeds. this engine speed range seems to set
            > up a bit
            > > of sympathetic vibration...
            > >
            > >
            > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Just hope that slight misfire I got at 2000 odd revs when I got her
            > >> really
            > >> hot is nothing...
            > >>
            > >> A2
            > >
            > >
            > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            > -----
            > A2
            > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
            > --
            > View this message in context:
            > http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31519590.html
            > Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
            >
            >
            >



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



            ------------------------------------

            List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
            agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
            writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
            topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
            except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
            minimum when replying.


            Post message: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
            Subscribe: TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Unsubscribe: TriumphTrophy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            List owner: TriumphTrophy-owner@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links







            -----
            A2
            Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
            --
            View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31521429.html
            Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
          • Adeux
            Without gaitors or similar I have had seals fail in months.... A2 ... A2 Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England -- View this
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Without gaitors or similar I have had seals fail in months....
              A2

              -----
              A2
              Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
              --
              View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31521442.html
              Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
            • slovcan
              Yes, it could happen, but hopefully not. Cheers, Glenn
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                Yes, it could happen, but hopefully not.

                Cheers,
                Glenn

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > Without gaitors or similar I have had seals fail in months....
                > A2
                >
                > -----
                > A2
                > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                > --
                > View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31521442.html
                > Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
                >
              • slovcan
                We did try to do all we could to prevent future leaking. We cleaned all the parts up spic n span so there would be less chance of introducing old
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  We did try to do all we could to prevent future leaking. We cleaned all the
                  parts up spic 'n' span so there would be less chance of introducing old
                  contaminants to the new fluid. We checked the fork tube over closely and found a
                  few pits. The left fork that blew the seal ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9A4p1Qsvk&playnext=1&list=PL4BB1C9855DA2FFFD ) was in better shape than the one that wasn't leaking.
                  We put the tubes on a lathe and cleaned/polished them up with some very fine
                  sandpaper (1000 grit, probably finer). The 80 km ride home was spirited,
                  actually VERY spirited, and it felt better than it had since I've had her. I put
                  the proper ATF (ATF is about 7.5 weight) in instead of Bel-Ray 15 weight like I
                  did last year. Dry so far...

                  Cheers,
                  Glenn


                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Yes, it could happen, but hopefully not.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Glenn
                  >
                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Without gaitors or similar I have had seals fail in months....
                  > > A2
                  > >
                  > > -----
                  > > A2
                  > > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                  > > --
                  > > View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/No-smoke---no-fire-tp31497791p31521442.html
                  > > Sent from the Triumph Trophy mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
                  > >
                  >
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.