Sat Nav Debates

  • vanamonde84
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
      There is much confusion and dispute about the best Sat Nav for the Trophy. Garmin versus Tom Tom discussions are found on every bike forum. I am in the market at the moment but am still unsure which way to go as many of the anecdotal material from riders is often contradictory. What I would prefer is a system which lets me download maps from Google Earth. I'm not sure which does this.
      What I am particularly concerned about is where to mount the device on the Trophy. There seems no way to mount it centrally and I dont really want to be looking downwards and to the side all the time. How do people feel about the way their sat navs are mounted?

      Barry B
    • Ron Bogucki
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
        My Garmin Street Pilots will only use the Garmin mapping system. I don't know about the Garmin Zumo. Atlanta Ron

        Ron Bogucki
        Snellville, GA
        Home 770-979-3140
        Cell 706-577-3717

        To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        From: bboggild@...
        Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:13:04 +0000
        Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Sat Nav Debates

        There is much confusion and dispute about the best Sat Nav for the Trophy. Garmin versus Tom Tom discussions are found on every bike forum. I am in the market at the moment but am still unsure which way to go as many of the anecdotal material from riders is often contradictory. What I would prefer is a system which lets me download maps from Google Earth. I'm not sure which does this.
        What I am particularly concerned about is where to mount the device on the Trophy. There seems no way to mount it centrally and I dont really want to be looking downwards and to the side all the time. How do people feel about the way their sat navs are mounted?

        Barry B

      • Adeux
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
          I have had all grades of tom-tom and unless you pay for the google data
          connection the maps are in fact appalling. near poxy useless. I regularly
          get new upgrades that take me back to pre1995 map errors.
          My htc desire whilst only a phone with a data connection has a map app which
          is startlingly good as locations can be googled directly by name rather than
          location (as well as) and then the routing is exactly to the location. Bit
          fiddly on the fingers though.

          My company used to pay 20k per year for all the latest Tom Tom services but
          we found it such poor value we are now in limbo looking for a better system.
          The basic tom-tom for instance yesterday morning only got me to within about
          two miles of the location by postcode it then took me 25 mins to find the
          actual location. Bear in mind I am constantly looking for destinations
          without the help of a pc on the fly on the road and I don't want to be
          wasting my time double checking everything. Different if you are setting off
          from home...It is only with the google data it made the tom-tom maps
          bearable.
          It is always a pata getting up to date maps with the Tom Tom and again it is
          only the user corrected maps that are better. (the up to date maps are in
          fact never up to date)
          But the phone as I say straight out of the box and it works better than the
          Tom Tom. You could put it in your pocket and blue tooth it to your lid. You
          will find that if you only have the audio then u concentrate on it better
          and vice a versa if you only have visual.

          I can't imagine hanging my phone on the outside of the bike though BUT
          having it in your pocket is one thing less to worry about and charge etc. If
          you go the phone route then you have the advantage of a data connected phone
          which allows you to use it for other uses. Mind you if you are doing a 200
          mile plus run then you will have to charge whatever it is off the bike. Or
          in the case of my latest tom-tom anything more than 30secs away. I have a
          cigarette lighter outlet in the glove box of the bike - I could pack the
          phone in there. If you go abroad though ---- BUY A LOCAL SIM -- or the data
          calls will tear the heart out of you....

          a2

          -----
          A2
          Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
        • trophykev
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
            mobile phone mapping only works if you have a phone signal.
            I too have had issues with tomtom and garmin. My most accurate is the one built into the car. Navteq i think but no postcode search

            I have just bought a second hand Ipaq pda teamed up with a GPS receiver i can load whatever mapping software i want. My Ipaq has bluetooth and wifi i could use it for music as well if i wanted.

            My iphone is used to google an address then load the co-ordinates into the Ipaq.

            I havent figure a mount for the trophy yet though, it sits in the tank bag and talks to me via the starcom1.
          • john tabberer
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
              Have you found a way to connect to a Bluetooth Headset?

              I have a Dell PDS with TomTom Navigator6 and Scala Rider2 Bluetooth headset on my helmet...

              the scala works with my Nokia Phone. but I can;t seem to get it to work with my PDA...

              Any suggestions welcome.

              John

            • Greg
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
                Hi Barry,
                I put two pictures in the photos file: GPS Garmin 176C
                The bracket is from Gadget Guy. It did require me to take off the fork tube cover. I can still see it even if I use a tank bag.
                Greg Andrews

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 22, 2011
                  I sucker my old heavy tom-tom as low as poss to the clear screen.

                  There is much confusion and dispute about the best Sat Nav for the Trophy.
                  Garmin versus Tom Tom e. How do people feel about the way their sat navs are
                  mounted?

                  -----
                  A2
                  Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                • Q
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 23, 2011
                    Howdy,

                    If you look at the photo folder "Q's Trophy for Sale" and/or eBay item 300550349726, you will see how I have my Tom-Tom mounted. I took the standard suction mount and snapped off the suction cup. Then bolted a 1" X 4" plate (if memory serves) to the base with a corresponding hole in the far end. A little plate bending to get the shape just right, and it attaches with a longer metric screw to the inner fairing molding attachment on the left side (with the power line coming out about the same place from the 12V convenience jack in my right fairing pocket). Worked well for me visibility-wise, and kept the Tom-Tom dry when riding as it was under the windscreen.

                    My two cents . . . please, keep the change.

                  • Adeux
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 24, 2011
                      The AA use copilot

                      -----
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                        Thanks for all the advice guys. I have finally opted for the Tom Tom but dont ask me why. I almost flipped a coin in the end. As for the mounting (it comes with the usual clutch reservoir fittings)I think I'll try a form of central mounting to give better weather protection. Thanks for the photos and other ideas. As for dowloading 'Google Maps' routes it remains to be seen if that works well.

                        > Barry B

                      • vanamonde84
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 28, 2011
                          Using Tyre software

                          I mounted the Tom Tom on the clutch housing and gave it a test run in the sunshine. Screen seems pretty good and ram mount very solid. I will give some more thought to central mounting however.
                          Has anyone else used Tyre to prepare itineraries for Tom Tom? I had a go and set up a route from Calais to Fourmies in France, Calais being the first waypoint. Unfortunately the itinerary transferred well to Tom Tom but the start is from my home near Nottingham rather than Calais. Does anyone know how to set the start position? I need to make the Calais waypoint the start.

                          Barry B
                        • john tabberer
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 28, 2011
                            Hi Barry,
                            I suppose you could make Calais your temporary home address.

                            regards John

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 28, 2011
                              I don't know about the Tom-Tom, but my Garmin will Pick up a stored route and direct me to the closest intercept point. If say I had a route installed from home to Fourmies and was in Calais when I activated that route it would pick up the routing in Calais and start navigating. Atlanta Ron

                              Ron Bogucki
                              Snellville, GA
                              Home 770-979-3140
                              Cell 706-577-3717

                              To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 28, 2011
                                On the tom-tom unit it is plan itinery If that is any help although as soon
                                as you move etc the tom-tom reverts to your current location.

                                Or do current location to fourmilles and then find alternative - travel via-
                                and then set in Calais. But don't expect it to tell you when you have
                                reached Calais, the route just shows a small flag on the screen which is
                                easily missed. Annoyingly if that was your hotel you have just driven past..

                                a2

                                -----
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 28, 2011
                                  I like the mentioned bar across the two defunct mirror mountings I have been
                                  looking at that since it was mentioned but need to get over my "other
                                  mechanicals" first (particularly if I could under sling the components and
                                  leave the bar uppermost) The google maps is perfect as everyone seems to
                                  have registered the exact location of their company or POI right down to the
                                  front door. But what happens to your roaming data charges once you go past
                                  Calais? Next time I go over I must remember to set the tom-tom to kms as
                                  this would be easier than converting off the speedo and stop the constant
                                  camera flashes.

                                  A2

                                  -----
                                  A2
                                  Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                                • slovcan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 29, 2011
                                    A2,

                                    Do you mean you put the suction cup on the windshield? Has it ever shaken loose or come unstuck?

                                    The 1" ball that came on my RAM mount is too big for my Garmin cradle (the cradle the power cord plugs into). The ball on the suction cup mount is 21/32". The smaller RAM mount ball is about 9/16".

                                    Thanks,
                                    Glenn

                                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:

                                    > I sucker my old heavy tom-tom as low as poss to the clear screen.
                                    >

                                    > There is much confusion and dispute about the best Sat Nav for the Trophy.
                                    > Garmin versus Tom Tom e. How do people feel about the way their sat navs are
                                    > mounted?
                                    >

                                    > -----
                                    > A2
                                    > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                                    > --

                                  • Adeux
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 30, 2011
                                      Yep it has come unstuck - if I am not careful it comes off within a mile
                                      otherwise it is good to go.

                                      -----
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 30, 2011
                                        Thanks, A2. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

                                        Glenn

                                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:

                                        > Yep it has come unstuck - if I am not careful it comes off within a mile
                                        > otherwise it is good to go.
                                        >
                                        > slovcan wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > A2,
                                        > >
                                        > > Do you mean you put the suction cup on the windshield? Has it ever shaken
                                        > > loose or come unstuck?
                                        > >
                                        > > The 1" ball that came on my RAM mount is too big for my Garmin cradle (the
                                        > > cradle the power cord plugs into). The ball on the suction cup mount is
                                        > > 21/32". The smaller RAM mount ball is about 9/16".
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks,
                                        > > Glenn
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@> wrote:
                                        > >>

                                        > >> I sucker my old heavy tom-tom as low as poss to the clear screen.
                                        > >>

                                        > >> There is much confusion and dispute about the best Sat Nav for the
                                        > >> Trophy.
                                        > >> Garmin versus Tom Tom e. How do people feel about the way their sat navs
                                        > >> are
                                        > >> mounted?
                                        > >>

                                        > >> -----
                                        > >> A2
                                        > >> Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                                        > >> --
                                        > >>

                                        > -----
                                        > A2
                                        > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                                        > --

                                      • Adeux
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 30, 2011
                                          One day I think I may drill it through the screen but across the wing mirrors
                                          looks robust..

                                          -----
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                                            Aduex

                                            You are absolutely right. I contacted Jan Boersma (Tyre creator) and he confirmed that tomtom defaults to current location but if I switch on at Calais there should be no problem. It's not really an issue.

                                            The Tomtom and Scala Rider q2 headset work really well. Very clear sound even at higher speeds. I have had a bit of a nightmare with bike to bike intercom, however. The intercom teself was excellent but I seem to have been created as some sort of secondary buddy and for over a day I lost my own Tomtom to headset connection despite trying everything I could find on the forums and at Tomtom support. Today I tried the same sequence I had attempted all day yesterday and it suddenly began working again. Doesnt bode well for the future.

                                            Barry